Lone Wolf Development Forums

Lone Wolf Development Forums (http://forums.wolflair.com/index.php)
-   Realm Works Feature Requests (http://forums.wolflair.com/forumdisplay.php?f=84)
-   -   Additional Icons: Specific Suggestions (http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=57773)

Silveras February 20th, 2017 06:39 PM

Additional Icons: Specific Suggestions

We've had calls for more/new icons before, but I thought I'd take a few minutes to put together a list of specific suggestions, and urge other to do the same.

EDIT: As I think of new suggestions, and add them here, I will note them as "(added date)". I do not expect to make note of them being added to Realm Works here, if any actually are.

New Icons:

We have Blue Pawn, Blue Potion, and Blue Sphere.. but only spheres for Red, Green, Yellow, and Gray. Fill in the colors for the flags as well.

Fantasy/General use:
  • Crystal Ball
  • Bell
  • Book (open)
  • Book (closed)
  • Bookshelf
  • Candle
  • Eye of Horus (stylized Egyptian eye)
  • Ankh
  • Scales
  • Justice figure
  • magic circle(s)
  • pentacle
  • Treasure chest (suggested Feb 21, 2017)
  • Torch (suggested Feb 21, 2017)
  • Oil lamp (suggested Feb 21, 2017)
  • Hand-held magnifying glass (for clues/investigation) (suggested Feb 21, 2017)
  • coins falling from one hand to another (maybe a bit too much for a small icon) (suggested ed Feb 21, 2017)
  • Stonehenge-style menhir (possibly too close to Paizo's golem logo to work) (suggested Feb 21, 2017)
  • Lion face (suggested Feb 21, 2017)
  • Tiger face (suggested Feb 21, 2017)
  • Bear face (suggested Feb 21, 2017) (oh, my!)
  • Dragon face (suggested Feb 21, 2017)
  • Fish (suggested Feb 21, 2017)
  • Bird (suggested Feb 21, 2017)
  • Deer (suggested Feb 21, 2017) (or other game animal)
  • Tree, decidous (suggested Feb 21, 2017)
  • Tree, evergreen (suggested Feb 21, 2017)
  • Tent (suggested Feb 21, 2017)
  • Horse head (suggested Feb 21, 2017)
  • Wagon (suggested Feb 21, 2017)
  • Blue, Red, Green, Yellow, Gray 5-pointed stars (suggested Feb 21, 2017)
  • Compass Rose (suggested Feb 21, 2017)
  • 8-pointed star (like a compass rose without the directions) (suggested Feb 21, 2017)
  • Log (as in cut-down tree) (suggested Feb 25, 2017)
  • Gemstone (suggested Feb 25, 2017)
  • Map (squiggly dashed line leading to an X) (suggested May 9, 2019)
  • Cave entrance (suggested May 9, 2019)
  • Dark building entrance (suggested May 9, 2019)
  • Tankard (suggested May 9, 2019)
  • Knife and Fork (suggested May 9, 2019)
  • Bed (suggested May 9, 2019)

For pulp users:
  • whip
  • fedora
  • pistol (suggested May 9, 2019)

For more modern users:
  • Jet fighter
  • Modern warship
  • Truck
  • Automobile
  • Steam locomotive (more iconic than modern ones :) )
  • Bio-Hazard sign (suggested Feb 25, 2017)
  • Electrical hazard (two poles with lightning between) (suggested Feb 25, 2017)
  • Radar sweep screen (suggested Feb 25, 2017)
  • Road (suggested Feb 25, 2017)

For Science Fiction users:
  • Starfighter
  • Space Station
  • Asteroid
  • Space-suited figure
  • Travel-map style icons (bed for lodging, tent for campsite, knife and fork for restaurant, etc.) (suggested Feb 27, 2017)
  • Star Chart (unrolled document with star in the corner) (suggested May 9, 2019)

Dr_Automaton February 20th, 2017 07:42 PM

Great stuff. +1

daplunk February 20th, 2017 07:42 PM

+10 Icons are useful.

Bidmaron February 20th, 2017 08:40 PM

Of course if they let us load our own we wouldn't need these

Greebo February 20th, 2017 09:11 PM

+1 to more icons.

Vargr February 21st, 2017 12:10 AM

+1 from here

Load your own icon would be nice but might be difficult with import-export of stuff.
Maybe if we have to provide one of the default icons as well, that RW can fall back on if it cannot find the custom icon. When selling stuff one could add a little icon pack that the enduser could opt to import or not.

Well, not a high priority for me but we can always make wishes :-)

Merion February 21st, 2017 04:53 AM

+1

also: map pins!

Farling February 22nd, 2017 09:16 AM

But you've put "(added <date>)" to the list.
Some people might think that this is when it was added into RW :-)

tkarn February 22nd, 2017 09:50 AM

+1 new items will be cool

Silveras February 22nd, 2017 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Farling (Post 244968)
But you've put "(added <date>)" to the list.
Some people might think that this is when it was added into RW :-)

I have added a clarifying comment to the original post.

Acenoid February 22nd, 2017 02:19 PM

tasty! +1

Zaphod Beebledoc February 23rd, 2017 12:10 PM

Shiny! +1

Silveras February 27th, 2017 06:10 AM

Just noting that I added more suggestions on Feb 25 and today. I also changed the notation "Added date" to "Suggested date".

Gord March 2nd, 2017 06:45 AM

+1 to this. From the beginning, I've wanted more icon choices. It would be great if there were some specs available so that users could either sell (or just give to the community) more icons that we could add. I'm sure there are already a lot of public domain icons out there that could be used.

Having said this, I would definitely want the selection of choices to be user definable or we would be inundated with options includes those of no use to us.

DarthKurt May 25th, 2017 06:16 AM

agree +1

ErinRigh May 25th, 2017 09:45 PM

I'll +1 for icons

goldscarab March 2nd, 2019 01:08 PM

I started making custom categories (to get rid of specific unused fields) and found a few extra icons makes quick, mark-1 eyeball scans of the almanac much faster.

Here are a few icons that would make things nicer - that I don't see in your list
Watch Tower
Gate
Castle Tower
Caster Tower (good)
Caster Tower (evil)
Clocktower
Parliament/Library Building
Arena/Amphitheater
Theater
Shrine/Garden
Fountain
Statue/Plaza
Church
Temple
Cathedral
Shop
Alchemist
Stable
Corral?
Tavern/Resturant
Cafe/Food stall
Inn
(you already have House)
Multistory Urban (aka apartment)
Mansion/Manor
Warehouse/Factory
Wind Mill
Water Mill
Dock/Pier

Some other thoughts:
Dragons?
Boats and Ships
Vehicle Types
(you have some item types in there already - when I make custom types I will need to see if there are more suggestions down that line)

Greebo March 4th, 2019 11:08 PM

+1

Good list, goldscarab, those would be useful, too.

Additionally, I could use some more icons for modern and sci-fi settings (concrete sky-scrapers, glas-and-steel-skyscrapers, modern weapons, Erlenmeyer flask, Petri dish...).

Murrdox March 6th, 2019 06:58 AM

+100,000,000

I need more MODERN ICONS!!

Suggestions:

Bullet-Proof Vest for Armor
Computer Chip for hacking devices, computer systems, etc.
Toolbox
Wrench
Robot
Soldier / Trooper silhouette
Skyscraper
Sewer Pipe

MNBlockHead March 6th, 2019 07:53 PM

Rather than request icons, I would like the ability to import your own custom icons. Not that I necessarily want to spend the time making my own, but it would be great if I could be a icon packs on in the Content Market and if icons could be customized for a specific campaign, so content creators can offer thematically appropriate icons with their settings and adventure content.

Merion March 6th, 2019 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MNBlockHead (Post 276427)
Rather than request icons, I would like the ability to import your own custom icons. Not that I necessarily want to spend the time making my own, but it would be great if I could be a icon packs on in the Content Market and if icons could be customized for a specific campaign, so content creators can offer thematically appropriate icons with their settings and adventure content.

Indeed, would be easier for LWD in the long run too, as they don't need to curate item packs.

Silveras March 7th, 2019 05:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MNBlockHead (Post 276427)

Here's why I think they can't do that now, and why it may never really be possible.

This is because, as it stands now, in the database the category definition just needs to store the index to the icon in the fixed list (such as "1"). This works because every user has the SAME set of icons, in the same order. If users can have different icon sets, this simple index no longer works.

IF (and I do not actually know whether the storage as so direct and simple) this is how the category definitions reference the icons now, it would be a fairly significant re-write to make RW allow for each user to have different icons.

Merion March 7th, 2019 06:40 AM

Well, that doesn't sound too complicated to the layman, actually. They need to change the index to a link to the symbol and add a mechanism to add news symbols. Or keep the index for the existing and let the user expand the index with his own symbols.

kbs666 March 7th, 2019 09:06 AM

Presuming that the index is simply an id for the entry in the correct table, I can't imagine why it wouldn't be, then you could keep the built in ones as is and simply add your own at the bottom of the table.

Acenoid March 9th, 2019 03:46 AM

Just let us import our own stuff.... :)

Silveras May 7th, 2019 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kbs666 (Post 276466)
Presuming that the index is simply an id for the entry in the correct table, I can't imagine why it wouldn't be, then you could keep the built in ones as is and simply add your own at the bottom of the table.

A late response, but I wanted to clarify where part of my point was lost.

The suggestion above would work if the Icons are stored individually in each Realm. If they are not... and they do not have to be because right now there is only one set used in all Realms... then users having different sets of icons in different orders would prevent the GM from being able to share the Realm with the Players through the server. In the same way that uncommon Fonts cannot be guaranteed to be on the Players' machines, the icons could not be guaranteed to be there either (or with the same index even if they are present).

kbs666 May 7th, 2019 07:42 PM

Because these icons are used in a limited number of places changing the way they're stored shouldn't be impossible or extraordinary amount of work. Certainly it could mess up if exported if the export doesn't simply include the additional icons as part of the structure, which I'm well aware wouldn't be possible for secured content.

Cammagno May 8th, 2019 02:12 PM

I will keep things simple, and just add about 50 icons to the small set we have now. Very easy and quick to do for them, and a great improvement for me.

Acenoid May 12th, 2019 02:14 PM

Maybe we could define 2 icons one that may be custom / local and a 2nd that symbolizes the default icon. COuld be an additional download, like an icon pack or so....

Silveras May 12th, 2019 04:45 PM

The other issue we have not even touched on is how an expandable library of icons would be managed.

There would need to be a way to Add, a way to Remove, maybe a way to Hide (per Realm?), a way to "Re-Order/Sort" the display... and probably some means of grouping them -- a library of folders.

kbs666 May 12th, 2019 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silveras (Post 278847)
The other issue we have not even touched on is how an expandable library of icons would be managed.

There would need to be a way to Add, a way to Remove, maybe a way to Hide (per Realm?), a way to "Re-Order/Sort" the display... and probably some means of grouping them -- a library of folders.

I've always assumed an expandable library of icons would be in the CM. You'd download the package(s) you want and import them into the realm you want them in.

BubbaDave September 19th, 2019 04:59 PM

+1 on adding user icons. Overall, I can usually find an icon unless I am defining a group.

Suggestions:
Learning institutions
Cults
Clans
Guilds

Greebo September 20th, 2019 01:16 AM

+1

for more icons, including user created ones.

Lj Stephens September 20th, 2019 05:20 AM

Thanks for the suggestions!