Lone Wolf Development Forums

Lone Wolf Development Forums (http://forums.wolflair.com/index.php)
-   Hero Lab Discussion (http://forums.wolflair.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Why does upgrading require license re-assignment? (http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=57750)

MNBlockHead February 18th, 2017 09:09 PM

Why does upgrading require license re-assignment?

I'm in the middle of a convention. Played in an Adventurer's League game with a new character that also leveled up. Plan to play again tomorrow.

Came home and fired up hero labs and sow that there was a new version. I downloaded and installed. After installing I prompts me for a license reassignment.

And, as I type this, I realize that on Friday I upgraded my laptop from Windows 10 home to Windows 10 Pro. Would that cause HL to treat my laptop, that already has HL installed on it as a new computer?

I'm guessing that is what happened. Man, this sucks big time. I can't save or print characters now. Looks like I'm stuff with the gimped trial version until Monday at the earliest.

Any way around this? Hating myself for upgrading on weekend. Should have learned by now, NEVER upgrade RW or HL within three business days of a game day. Ugh.

Silveras February 18th, 2017 10:02 PM

I have seen periodic Windows updates make sufficient changes to cause HeroLab to see the machine as new. I have noted that some windows updates are sufficient to cause Windows to act like a new install.

Send a support ticket. Message board posts will be seen when someone has time to look. A support request/bug report may get faster attention.

MNBlockHead February 18th, 2017 10:29 PM

I submitted a bug report

Portilis February 19th, 2017 12:07 AM

I had a few issues with this when Win10 was in the trial phase, as I'm on the insider programs for the OS.

From my understanding of the discussions I had with LW techs at the time, there is a particular unique key that Hero Lab looks for to confirm that the copy of windows it is installed on is the one expected by the license, which changes when you change Windows versions. I believe from memory that it has been sorted so that it won't cause issues with normal Windows updates, but it is still an issue if altering Windows version or on the Insider Program because they effectively install fresh copies of Windows with new unique keys.

Colen February 20th, 2017 05:20 AM

Windows updates like Portilis describes should no longer require a license reassignment - this was something we fixed several months ago, so it should no longer affect users.

Based on your support ticket, it looks like you updated to a new version of the OS (Windows 10 Home -> Windows 10 Pro). This changes some critical information about the computer, so to Hero Lab it looks like a new device - there's not unfortunately not much we can do about this. :(

I've flagged your license for an early reassignment and responded to your support ticket, so you should be good to go on this.

MNBlockHead February 20th, 2017 09:26 AM

Thanks Colen!

hyperionahal March 3rd, 2017 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colen (Post 244758)
Windows updates like Portilis describes should no longer require a license reassignment - this was something we fixed several months ago, so it should no longer affect users.

Based on your support ticket, it looks like you updated to a new version of the OS (Windows 10 Home -> Windows 10 Pro). This changes some critical information about the computer, so to Hero Lab it looks like a new device - there's not unfortunately not much we can do about this. :(

I've flagged your license for an early reassignment and responded to your support ticket, so you should be good to go on this.

I also am having this issue, but I have not significantly changed anything in the last 48 hours or so that I know of. Now I find myself locked out for a couple of days. I am not very happy about this turn of events, tonight was going to be the first game I played using this software. I have entered my early reactivation ticket, but with a response time of 1-2 days there is little point in hoping to use this tonight.

There may not be much you can do about it; but as far as early impressions go this is a pretty bad one.

Farling March 4th, 2017 01:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hyperionahal (Post 245519)
I also am having this issue, but I have not significantly changed anything in the last 48 hours or so that I know of. Now I find myself locked out for a couple of days. I am not very happy about this turn of events, tonight was going to be the first game I played using this software. I have entered my early reactivation ticket, but with a response time of 1-2 days there is little point in hoping to use this tonight.

There may not be much you can do about it; but as far as early impressions go this is a pretty bad one.

Are you using the same actual license key string on more than one machine?

This is a problem that new users sometimes encounter. You need to use a different key on each machine, otherwise you get these re-assignment problems.

The basic product ships with at least 2 license key strings for use on different machines.

Booker Grimm March 17th, 2017 11:53 AM

Hi, I have had this problem when updating your software. I ran a windows 10 update and then ran an update to fix bugs on Hero Lab and I have to do this early reactivation thing.

So the problem still exists (someone upthread mentioned that it had been fixed).
I am proof that it hasn't.

Is this going to happen every time win 10 updates or I want to update Hero Labs?

Farling March 17th, 2017 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Booker Grimm (Post 246345)
Hi, I have had this problem when updating your software. I ran a windows 10 update and then ran an update to fix bugs on Hero Lab and I have to do this early reactivation thing.

So the problem still exists (someone upthread mentioned that it had been fixed).
I am proof that it hasn't.

Is this going to happen every time win 10 updates or I want to update Hero Labs?

Do you have it installed on more than one computer?

If so, are they all using different license keys?