Lone Wolf Development Forums

Lone Wolf Development Forums (http://forums.wolflair.com/index.php)
-   HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game (http://forums.wolflair.com/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   Pathfinder Community Packs (http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=51966)

Quintain March 28th, 2017 07:36 PM

I just wanted to differentiate the code block from the text of the post. It isn't in the code itself.

As for timing, I have tried multiple different timings, usually the same timings as the abilities themselves. Timing (for me) is kind of a fog of guessing.

There have been no error messages of any kind when I compile.

Mathias March 28th, 2017 07:42 PM

Then I recommend one of our youtube seminars: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCB2...lz0AIRw/videos

Find one of the intro seminars we've recorded at previous gen cons - timing is normally something we talk about relatively early in the seminars.

Quintain March 28th, 2017 07:44 PM

I found it. Apparently the += 1 wasn't incrementing like it should have. When I changed to

Code:

hero.child[cWldSurBla].field[abValue].value = hero.child[cWldSurBla].field[abValue].value + 1
With the same timing as the Wild Surge ability (post-levels 10000), it worked fine. -- Wierd. I reverted to the increment syntax and now it's working. :/

Mathias March 28th, 2017 07:46 PM

No, if you're at the same timing as the thing you're trying to modify, you've got a 50/50 chance as to which one runs first, which can mean that the change you've made can get overwritten if they run in the wrong order that time.

ShadowChemosh March 28th, 2017 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quintain (Post 247032)
I found it. Apparently the += 1 wasn't incrementing like it should have. When I changed to

Code:

hero.child[cWldSurBla].field[abValue].value = hero.child[cWldSurBla].field[abValue].value + 1
With the same timing as the Wild Surge ability (post-levels 10000), it worked fine.

if you use the exact same timing then its a flip of the coin if it will work. You want to run BEFORE the Wild Surge ability.

In addition please use #value[] macro for the above. If Wild surge runs at Post-Levels/10000 then you MUST run BEFORE at Post-Level/9000 in example.

Quintain March 28th, 2017 07:50 PM

Shadow:

So, conceptually, if you are modifying an ability, you want to apply modifiers prior to it existing?

Also: I changed to the #value macro per request.

Quintain March 28th, 2017 07:58 PM

Shadow:

Can you create a "Collective" category like you did with Psion Disciplines? Edit: nm.. I did.. abCategory.PUPsiCllct will be pushed on the 3 collective class abilities once I commit the changes.

Suggestion: As a design convention, I think we should make categories of all cross-class class abilities, or class abilities with multiple custom abilities going forward. This would make testing of a hero having a particular class ability simpler without having to check for multiple versions of what amounts to the same class ability.

Roadie March 28th, 2017 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quintain (Post 247035)
So, conceptually, if you are modifying an ability, you want to apply modifiers prior to it existing?

Bootstrapped things are populated on the character before the phases where scripts generally run. A thing might have a script that runs at Post-Levels/10000, but the thing itself generally exists from some point in the First phase.

ShadowChemosh March 29th, 2017 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quintain (Post 247036)
Shadow:

Can you create a "Collective" category like you did with Psion Disciplines? Edit: nm.. I did.. abCategory.PUPsiCllct will be pushed on the 3 collective class abilities once I commit the changes.

Suggestion: As a design convention, I think we should make categories of all cross-class class abilities, or class abilities with multiple custom abilities going forward. This would make testing of a hero having a particular class ability simpler without having to check for multiple versions of what amounts to the same class ability.

Not in disagreement about adding abCategory to Custom Abilities. The reason this exists is that LW ran into the same issues. So this ability has only existed for about a year and many parts of Psionics was built 5+ years ago.

Soulknife Blade Skills have an abCategory because I need it to do some of the soulknife Archetypes. In addition setting up Custom Expressions become much easier using abCategory tags.

The only thing is that we want to define the new abCategory "one" time on the mechanic. We should not create the tag on a Custom Ability. It can cause issues when making changes or if that "single" ability is ever removed the tag goes with. For these reasons I define them on the Psionic Mechanic so the logic is in a single place.

If you already did it on the Custom Ability I can change to to the mechanic pretty easily. Just if you do this in the future make sure to let me know.

ShadowChemosh March 29th, 2017 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quintain (Post 247035)
So, conceptually, if you are modifying an ability, you want to apply modifiers prior to it existing?

Maybe I will try an example.

Thingid.Shadow1
Post-Level/10000
Code:

field[abValue].value += 1
field[livename].text = "abValue =" & field[abValue].value

Assuming abValue starts at 0 after the above script runs at Post-Level/10000 the live name will be "abValue = 1".

Now then we add the following script logic:
Thingid.Shadow2
Post-Level/9000 (9000 is before 10000)
Code:

#value[Shadow1] += 2
Now abValue of Shadow1 starts at 2 and after the script runs at Post-Level/10000 the live name will be "abValue = 3".

In this example we will run AFTER Shadow1 script fires.

Thingid.Shadow2
Post-Level/11000 (11000 is AFTER 10000)
Code:

#value[Shadow1] += 2
This time abValue of Shadow1 is still at 0 and after the script runs at Post-Level/10000 the live name will be "abValue = 1". Then at Post-Level/11000 the abValue will be increased to 3 but sense Shadow1 script already ran the display to the user is 1 not 3.

Hopefully that helps some. :)


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:24 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® - Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
wolflair.com copyright 1998-2016 Lone Wolf Development, Inc. View our Privacy Policy here.