Lone Wolf Development Forums

Lone Wolf Development Forums (http://forums.wolflair.com/index.php)
-   Realm Works Discussion (http://forums.wolflair.com/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   Import from Obsidian Portal into RealmWorks (http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=57474)

Farling January 20th, 2017 06:13 AM

Import from Obsidian Portal into RealmWorks

Hi folks,

I've managed to put together something which will take your existing Obsidian Portal information and migrate the data into Realm Works.

The Basic Process

1) Go to Obsidian Portal and download a backup of your campaign.
2) Run my converter.
3) Import the generated .rwexport file into your RW realm.

More Detail

Step 1 - Obsidian Portal
1 - go the web page for your obsidian portal campaign.
2 - select "settings" in the left panel.
3 - select "Advanced" in the page's menu.
4 - select "download backup"

Step 2 - Run my converter
1 - Download the convert.ps1 (a powershells script)
2 - Download the ob2rw-xsl1.xslt file (a XSL version 1.0 specification)
3 - Put these two files in the same folder (I use "Documents\Realm Works\Scripting".
3 - Right click on the convert.ps1 and select "Run with PowerShell"
4 - In the file selector dialog that appears, select the .ZIP file that was downloaded from obsidian portal

Step 3 - import into realm works
1 - open an existing realm
2 - select import and choose the ".rwexport" file which was created using my converter
3 - tidy up the information inside Realm Works (optional)

Extra Information

1 - The conversion process creates 5 new topic categories to handle the imported information (adventure logs, characters, items, wiki pages, forum posts)
2 - Pictures are not exported as part of the Obsidian Portal backup file, so they are not imported into RealmWorks
3 - the current version of the scripts will NOT work to re-import updates later (this is a future evolution).

Access to the files:

Download the ZIP file from https://github.com/farling42/RealmWo...elease_0.1.zip, then unzip the contents.

Known Issues

- Links are not converted, and remain as blue underlined text when RealmWorks automatically unlinks them.
- No images are transferred, and links to images are not transferred yet.
- Importing a subsequent OB backup creates duplicate topics.

mazzy January 20th, 2017 07:51 AM

That is very cool! If I used OP I'd be one happy chica ;) Thanks for sharing your work with the community =D

BigSkyRPG January 20th, 2017 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Farling (Post 242074)
Hi folks,

I've managed to put together something which will take your existing Obsidian Portal information and migrate the data into Realm Works.

The process is:

1) Go to Obsidian Portal and download a backup of your campaign.
2) Run my converter.
3) Import the generated .rwexport file into your RW realm.

----------
More Detail

Step 1 - Obsidian Portal
1 - go the web page for your obsidian portal campaign.
2 - select "settings" in the left panel.
3 - select "Advanced" in the page's menu.
4 - select "download backup"

Step 2 - Run my converter
1 - Download the convert.ps1 (a powershells script)
2 - Download the ob2rw-xsl1.xslt file (a XSL version 1.0 specification)
3 - Put these two files in the same folder (I use "Documents\Realm Works\Scripting".
3 - Right click on the convert.ps1 and select "Run with PowerShell"
4 - select the .ZIP file that was downloaded from obsidian portal

Step 3 - import into realm works
1 - open an existing realm
2 - select import and choose the ".rwexport" file which was created using my converter
3 - tidy up the information inside Realm Works

----------
Extra Information

1 - The conversion process creates 5 new topic categories to handle the imported information (adventure logs, characters, items, wiki pages, forum posts)
2 - Pictures are not exported as part of the Obsidian Portal backup file, so they are not imported into RealmWorks
3 - the current version of the scripts will NOT work to re-import updates later (this is a future evolution).

----------
Access to the files:

https://github.com/farling42/RealmWo...er/convert.ps1
https://github.com/farling42/RealmWo...b2rw-xsl1.xslt

Can we do it both ways? In other works use to export from RW and import into Obsidian?

daplunk January 20th, 2017 11:40 AM

From memory, Obsodian Portal does not support this so no. Once someone moves from Obsidian Portal to RW they will never want to go back! But yeah I understand the benefit this would bring. We could have a work around for player Web access until Web view arrives.

Farling January 20th, 2017 02:02 PM

Obsidian Portal only allows a backup of the data to be made. There is NO facility to import data back into Obsidian Portal (even from the backup file).

Farling January 20th, 2017 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daplunk (Post 242095)
We could have a work around for player Web access until Web view arrives.

You could take the EightBitz's HTML printing script and modify it to output separate HTML documents for each topic, and so build a web page to emulate your realm, if you really felt that you needed web right now.

rob January 20th, 2017 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Farling (Post 242100)
You could take the EightBitz's HTML printing script and modify it to output separate HTML documents for each topic, and so build a web page to emulate your realm, if you really felt that you needed web right now.

That's eminently doable, if someone feels compelled.

gaffneyks January 22nd, 2017 06:23 AM

Thanks.

Awesome Job.

Now if Realm Works would just allow me to use Import/Export on D & D 5th edition, I could actually use Realm Works and start working on my campaigns. :(

Zaphod Beebledoc January 23rd, 2017 03:17 AM

Apart from having an existing Realm, is there anything else you need to do in Realm Works?

Farling January 23rd, 2017 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zaphod Beebledoc (Post 242311)
Apart from having an existing Realm, is there anything else you need to do in Realm Works?

No, the scripts should generate a file that ends with .rwexport, so you simply import that file into your realm and new topics should appear.