Lone Wolf Development Forums

Lone Wolf Development Forums (http://forums.wolflair.com/index.php)
-   Realm Works Feature Requests (http://forums.wolflair.com/forumdisplay.php?f=84)
-   -   Calendar Customization (http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=56719)

dentaa October 4th, 2016 01:42 PM

Calendar Customization

Nice would be the ability to set custom calendar up. I do not know about integration, but the game session recorder would be sweeter if I could reference or search between eras. I have a campaign that has 4 known eras in it. There are ones the party is likely to never find out about as well. I do not have, nor can I for game reasons, set up a continuous calendar. I would be willing to switch to (for note taking sake) the Gregorian sans BCE/CE. Can you set it up like Filemaker (the database software) and start counting days from year 1, whatever the DM sets it at and then just do a define how many months and how many days per month.... giving them custom text titles? Just a thought, as I really love the software but will have to stay using my own database for now to track calendar events. No complaints, as I am still shocked at low cost of this awesome software...

daplunk October 4th, 2016 01:51 PM

Oh jeez... Duck and cover people ��

Use the search feature mate. There's enough calendar talk to keep you reading all day.

MNBlockHead October 4th, 2016 08:43 PM

Custom calendars are on the development road map, but it will come after a number of other major features, including the Content Market (a massive project), player's journal, etc. As daplunk stated, a quick search will show the heavy volume of previous, uh, "discussion" on custom calendars.

Vargr October 5th, 2016 08:52 AM

A much waited for feature. It will come when it will come.

MNBlockHead October 5th, 2016 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vargr (Post 235661)
A much waited for feature. It will come when it will come.

That sums it up nicely.

nodice October 6th, 2016 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dentaa (Post 235608)
Nice would be the ability to set custom calendar up...

I understand your post dentaa. I too absolutely love this software but am waiting on a specific new function before running my game!

If new members create new forum accounts and join here, instead of posting new topics of old feature request should we necro the old threads of each of the features we most want to see added in order to add our support?

MNBlockHead October 6th, 2016 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nodice (Post 235775)
If new members create new forum accounts and join here, instead of posting new topics of old feature request should we necro the old threads of each of the features we most want to see added in order to add our support?

Why bother.

Forums are a terrible place to curate feature requests. It would be nice if people would do a quick search before posting—heck, would save them the time of writing a post and waiting on answers.

But I would never give anyone a hard time for posting on something already written about. Maybe just point them to some existing threads that they find useful.

As for adding your post to an old thread, based on prior posts from Rob, I don't think it matters. They go through the requests and keep a large list of feature requests. They'll know which are more popular regardless of whether there is one thread with many "me too" posts or many individual threads asking for the same thing.

From a user perspective, implementing something like User Voice would be more helpful, but I can see why small, cost-conscious companies might stick with just having a request forum in their discussion forum platform.

AEIOU October 7th, 2016 10:16 AM

Methinks there are lots of really good reasons there isn't a tracking mechanism for suggestions. Like delivery dates, publically tracking create unrealistic expectations that then take time to manage that takes away from time for real work. Additionally, they can turn into beauty contests where some items that are critical are considered obvious and not commented on while others with a vocal minority get bumped up.

I think LWD's internal list and internal prioritization is the best way to go. They have the long range vision, the understanding of contingencies and a good sense of how rabid the user base is for specific features. Transparency is a lovely concept but it requires the most perfect of perfect worlds to really work.

MNBlockHead October 7th, 2016 10:39 AM

AEIOU, the systems I'm talking about don't list delivery dates publicly. What makes platforms like User Voice nice is that as you type in your suggestion, it will look up and suggest similar suggestions. Also it gives each user 10 points for voting. You can give 1, 2, or 3 votes for each suggestion. If you use up your 10 points, you'll need to decrease points from other votes. These helps weight the items to show what users care most about. It also allows comments and discussion for each request.

In terms of developer updates, the developer can mark items as "under consideration", and "implemented" (it think there may be something like "working on it" as well). No dates are given unless the developer foolishly provides dates in the comments section for the request.

The advantages of such a platform over traditional forms is that it helps users find similar requests; both users and developers can easily see which are the most desired features; and developers can give noncommittal updates if they desire.

AEIOU October 7th, 2016 12:22 PM

Sorry for not being more clear. In my opinion, a tracking system would be "like dates"; as in implementing a transparent tracking system would be just as contentious as offering dates. I think given LWD's limited resources and track record for (not) delivering on promises (in my opinion) in a reasonable amount of time that it would be a poop storm in the making. As always, I'd love to be wrong....