Lone Wolf Development Forums

Lone Wolf Development Forums (http://forums.wolflair.com/index.php)
-   Hero Lab Discussion (http://forums.wolflair.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Thinking About Buying (http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=53421)

bbmike July 16th, 2015 02:50 PM

Thinking About Buying

Is it possible to create characters for ANY RPG? Would I need the Authoring Kit if so? I was interested in creating characters for FASA Star Trek RPG.

AndrewD2 July 17th, 2015 11:43 AM

For that the Authoring Kit would be required and you'd have to completely create the system from the Skeleton Files.

charlieluce July 17th, 2015 02:42 PM

It is doable in theory, but making a new system in the Authoring Kit is a major project. There are a number of topics in User Projects here about people working on games that they never finished, so it's not something to be undertaken lightly.

bbmike July 18th, 2015 06:32 AM

Ok, thanks. Would it be easy to modify Hero Lab's existing d20 system to Amarillo's Prime Directive d20 Modern?

Paragon July 18th, 2015 09:52 AM

I suspect it'd be a pretty good sized piece of work because of needing to replace the classes and add all the supplemental material. In addition, if that uses the D20 Modern style hero point mechanic you'd have to implement that, and probably the armors are all in class D20 style rather than the mix between that and damage reduction D20 Modern was set up for.

ShadowChemosh July 18th, 2015 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbmike (Post 212788)
Ok, thanks. Would it be easy to modify Hero Lab's existing d20 system to Amarillo's Prime Directive d20 Modern?

If using an existing game system you have access to the "Editor" not the full authoring kit. So you can't change "core" concepts like if Modern uses 7 Abilities Scores instead of 6 no way to do that. (This is an example ONLY not saying Modern has a 7th ability score). But inputting new classes, feats, spells, and magic items would be allot easier as the Editor and all the mechanics are built.

Paragon July 19th, 2015 05:21 PM

Huh? D20 Modern only used the same six attributes as 3e era D20; they had some additional things like Wealth and so on, but the attributes were the same.

ShadowChemosh July 19th, 2015 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paragon (Post 212861)
Huh? D20 Modern only used the same six attributes as 3e era D20; they had some additional things like Wealth and so on, but the attributes were the same.

It was an example hence why I said "IF". I was letting him know something's can't be change why many others can. Wealth or modern money would be another area that can't be changed.

Paragon July 20th, 2015 04:53 PM

Sorry, missed the "if" in the sentence.

There might be some ways to fake around the money issues, but it'd be annoying.

RavenX July 20th, 2015 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paragon (Post 212803)
I suspect it'd be a pretty good sized piece of work because of needing to replace the classes and add all the supplemental material. In addition, if that uses the D20 Modern style hero point mechanic you'd have to implement that, and probably the armors are all in class D20 style rather than the mix between that and damage reduction D20 Modern was set up for.

You can rig a source to preclude the base classes, feats, and items you don't need. It is possible to rig the base files but some features may need special items and tabs.