Lone Wolf Development Forums

Lone Wolf Development Forums (http://forums.wolflair.com/index.php)
-   Realm Works Feature Requests (http://forums.wolflair.com/forumdisplay.php?f=84)
-   -   Functionality Request: Change Default Behaviour of Alternate Names During Creation (http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=61661)

daplunk November 27th, 2018 10:41 PM

Functionality Request: Change Default Behaviour of Alternate Names During Creation

Hi Rob,

Welcome back to the land of the normal.

A small request but one that would be immensely useful.

When creating a new topic we get the ability to create Alternate Names which is very useful. In 98% of my use cases however I do not want those alternate names to be visible in the Topic list. I therefore end up going into the topic and modifying the name settings to adjust the name settings.

Could we have a way to define this either:
a) globally in the realm settings
b) have an option in the Create New Content pane that remembers the settings used previously.

This would greatly speed up data entry.

Thanks,

Josh

Greebo November 27th, 2018 10:46 PM

+1

That change would spare me a lot of work, too!

Merion November 27th, 2018 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daplunk (Post 273151)
In 98% of my use cases however I do not want those alternate names to be visible in the Topic list.

Same here! So a big fat +1 from me!

Bidmaron November 28th, 2018 03:22 AM

+1 here too

kbs666 November 28th, 2018 04:59 AM

Does anyone ever want alternate names in the navigation pane? Wouldn't the better option be to allow you to opt in to something like that rather than making it the default?

+1

Merion November 28th, 2018 05:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kbs666 (Post 273171)
Does anyone ever want alternate names in the navigation pane? Wouldn't the better option be to allow you to opt in to something like that rather than making it the default?

+1

Occasionally I do, like the mob boss in my world that's commonly known as the raven and only a select few know her real name.

But I concur, most of the time I don't want several names for the same topic, so it would probably best to make this opt-in.

kbs666 November 28th, 2018 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Merion (Post 273186)
Occasionally I do, like the mob boss in my world that's commonly known as the raven and only a select few know her real name.

But I concur, most of the time I don't want several names for the same topic, so it would probably best to make this opt-in.

But wouldn't that be a case where you use the true name feature for the topic? Where the topics name is The Raven and the true name is the character's true name is what ever it is. Then it shows up in nav as both and The Raven is replaced by the true name for the players when that is revealed.

daplunk November 28th, 2018 09:04 AM

The major weakness here IMO is player reveal. How many people are actually using it? It was designed the way it is assuming that's how people would be using it. The majority of people to my knowledge don't use the player access so therefore it just creates more mess in the topic list.

That will likely change once player access becomes a Web site though. I'd wager most players interest is accessing the info will spike due to the increased ease of access at which time it will be important to support both ways.

kbs666 November 28th, 2018 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daplunk (Post 273224)
The major weakness here IMO is player reveal. How many people are actually using it? It was designed the way it is assuming that's how people would be using it. The majority of people to my knowledge don't use the player access so therefore it just creates more mess in the topic list.

That will likely change once player access becomes a Web site though. I'd wager most players interest is accessing the info will spike due to the increased ease of access at which time it will be important to support both ways.

True. Maybe there should be a flag for showing alt. names in player mode only. I doubt most content authors are going to need to access something through the tree by looking up an alt name.

Greebo November 28th, 2018 09:48 PM

Since we are at the process of topic creation, there is on imho immensely useful feature request that came up in the Facebook group:

Quote:

apply a name AND a PREFIX and a SUFFIX all during the creation process
+1, from me.