Lone Wolf Development Forums

Lone Wolf Development Forums (http://forums.wolflair.com/index.php)
-   Hero Lab Discussion (http://forums.wolflair.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Hero Lab Encounter Builder Feedback Thread (http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=48440)

Colen February 28th, 2014 01:57 PM

Hero Lab Encounter Builder Feedback Thread

This thread is now closed - please post your feedback in the new encounter builder thread. Thanks!

DMG March 3rd, 2014 08:38 PM

Yay, I'm in! But I found a minor one already...

The HL installer file isn't downloading with the .exe extension... Could be confusing to some people.

I'm running a Skype game tonight, so I'm looking forward to giving it a test run.

Cheers,
Jim.

DivingRhino March 3rd, 2014 09:32 PM

Mac install worked great. Is a nice simple tool.

Couple initial comments
1. I would like to see the regular portfolio screen show the XP, and CR for its contents.
2. There does not seem to be a way to change a creature already in the encounter into an ally or enemy. One might need to do this because they added a creature wrong … OR they just want to see what the CR of their party is!
3. It would be nice if there was an indicator as to whether a member in a portfolio is an ally or an enemy.

Manic Modron March 3rd, 2014 10:34 PM

It looks like it will be a great start.

1. Agree with DR above, showing CR and XP would be great. The opening blurb mentions it, but it doesn't seem to be active yet. Also, being able to key in a CR and add critters till the CR is full would be an awesome thing, but I think that was mentioned as part of the end goal.

2. An easier way to sort by type would be very helpful. Searching for "cold" terrain creatures brings up anything with Cold in the text, even if it isn't a mechanical term. Not a big deal since PFSRD.com does that, but I'd like a onestop shop for these things.

Nothing bad has happened so far. Hopefully I'll use it soon and see if anything snaps apart or clicks together.

Manic Modron March 3rd, 2014 10:58 PM

And I know that this is an ambitious thought, but a treasure generator that can print out a list of the loot appropriate for that encounter, this would be sweet.

There are online tools that can do this, but again a one stop shop would be ideal.

forbinproject March 4th, 2014 01:15 AM

Custom Folder

The first thing that would improve the encounter builder is the ability to 'add' custom folders to the set of locations incorporated into the EB.

Here's my use case;

I'm using the encounter builder to check if an encounter in my Rise of the Runelords Game might turn into a TPK. The encounter consists of 2 lamia Clerics, 2 stock CR10 red dragons and a jotunblood giant.

The lamia clerics and Jotunblood giant exist as community *.por files available online; I can bring in the red dragons from the bestiary files.

To do this though, I have to save the lamia and giant *.por files into the data/pathfinder directory - which clutters it up a bit. If I could 'point' the EB at the folder where I've already got the custom *.por files it would speed everything up.

failing that, if I can have a single 'custom' folder for EB files within my data/pathfinder directory, that keeps things neater.

in terms of use of the EB, I'm naming these custom files 0Custom_filename.por for the moment so that I can locate them quickly. The EB did show me that when the giant turns up, the encounter shifts from CR 14 to CR 17; so I'd better put quite a delay in before the giant makes it into the combat! In that sense the EB is *really* useful

Seregrimm March 4th, 2014 01:23 AM

I just received the Beta, and one thing jumps out right off, an unnamed hero is also built into the encounter when I set up an encounter. Did I miss how to keep that from happening?

frumple March 4th, 2014 04:19 AM

So far so good. My only suggestion right now is the ability to set the APL and difficulty of the encounter instead of the EB listing the various APL and difficulties as you build the encounter.

Silveras March 4th, 2014 04:45 AM

@frumple. I see a "Target CR" that I can set to determine the "XP Budget" for the encounter. Isn't this what you are asking for? APL is the party level; it doesn't change for the encounter, so it is the encounter CR that is important to set, isn't it?

Issues:

Installer - Like DMG, I had the issue where the Windows installer did not save with the .exe extension. I had the same issue with the previous beta, as well, and reported it then.

Armies - I see the armies, especially the first army in each series of multiples, displaying odd information in the text below the name. For example, the Kobold Army entry reading:

Quote:

Kobold Army
Huge Army of Kobold War 1 - Hobgoblin Army
The same is true of other army entries.

Information text - The information text below the name is inconsistent. Sometimes it is the source book (ex. "Bestiary 2"), sometimes it is the Class/Level ("War 1"), sometimes it appears to be the header for a related entry (ex. the "Alabaster" entry has "Cat - CR 1/4"), and sometimes it is blank (ex. "Cat" entry). Perhaps Size and type/subtype(s) would be consistent and useful?

Parenthetical Numbers - Some entries have parenthetical numbers (ex. "Baby Centipede (4)"). It is not clear what these are for. When the source is not indicated, it is difficult to tell whether these are from an encounter portfolio, or something else.

Summary
Overall, looks good so far, aside from the above. I would agree with forbinproject that being able to designate additional folders for portfolios would be useful.

Screetch1979 March 4th, 2014 06:06 AM

More (or better defined) search filters.
If I try Angels as subtype, the research gives me a lot of creatures that has nothing to do.
Just to give an example.