Lone Wolf Development Forums

Lone Wolf Development Forums (http://forums.wolflair.com/index.php)
-   HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game (http://forums.wolflair.com/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   HLC Update Future (http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=67867)

Krothos June 28th, 2023 07:24 AM

HLC Update Future

Serious question for the Development Team...

We all understand that HLC is a "finished" product. Will there ever be a "final" update released with the fixes you've been tracking? Maybe with the announcement that this is the final release and all future support will be developed into HLO.

Thanks. :)

wdmartin June 28th, 2023 11:48 AM

I would also like some clarity on this, please. Will there ever be another update, final or otherwise? Even if it just went bug-fixes only maybe once a year that would be ample.

Azhrei June 28th, 2023 01:49 PM

+1

I love using HLC on my iPad! But there are a few glitches that would go a long way towards usability. (The font size thing is really getting frustrating lately.)

I'm looking for a way to get PCGen on my iPad, but it's a circuitous route getting there, as Apple doesn't support Java on their platform.

Dwayne June 28th, 2023 04:59 PM

I also would love an update and maybe implement some of the things that say they will be implemented in a future update.

Lord Magus June 30th, 2023 05:54 PM

+1. Even if it was just for bug fixes and making sure it is as stable as can be.

Meatpuppet July 5th, 2023 05:39 AM

+1 here too

Still using it a lot

Dwayne July 7th, 2023 02:29 PM

It does not look like there will be a reply.

Azhrei July 7th, 2023 10:48 PM

That's a shame. I remember Rob guaranteeing that HLC wasn't going to lose maintenance support. I warned him at the time, "Don't make promises you can't keep," but he was sure. (I knew that once HLO started, there "wouldn't be enough resources" to maintain HLC. I've been around corporations and bean counters long enough to know that. :( )

It's pretty sad, actually. Maybe someone who doesn't check the forums first would actually buy it now, only to find out that it's stagnant, and has been for quite some time. I wonder what they'd think of LoneWolf at that point?

I just checked and it looks like Rob hasn't posted to the forums since Oct 2020? (See the post here: something about an HLO API.) I tried searching for his comments regarding the support for HLC, but the search engine here doesn't like searching for "HLC" (too short or too common?). My other attempts didn't work well either.

Anyway, I feel your pain...

RavenX July 8th, 2023 04:04 AM

I know my way around this source code pretty well, but they lock down all the official data files so even we can't directly access the source code, much less fix bugs in it. Your best hope is to catch one of the coders on the forums via the bottom panel that tells you who is online. The coders usually have a + by their names. I have no idea if they bother checking the forums anymore since they moved to HLO. I still don't use HLO and likely never will, I like having the freedom to code my own systems and homebrew content and I'm not certain that they allow it with HLO sadly. I've coded so many systems on my own too.

Maidhc O Casain July 8th, 2023 09:18 AM

When it got to this point before, the only way we ever got an answer was that DaPlunk posted a question in the HLO forums. Basically, "Hey, y'all should look at the HLC forums every once in a while."

That said, Mathias does post in the HLC forums fairly often (a few times a month) for technical and coding support. I don't know what his involvement is or if he'd do HLC "maintenance." Maybe he'll see this and chime in at least with a "Yep, we're still doing occasional (annual?) bug fix work," or "Nope, not being maintained at all."

wdmartin July 10th, 2023 11:06 AM

I wish there was some mechanism for the community to do bug fixes for HLC. The user base has a lot of accumulated experience that could be put to use.

Azhrei July 11th, 2023 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maidhc O Casain (Post 301667)
That said, Mathias does post in the HLC forums fairly often (a few times a month) for technical and coding support. I don't know what his involvement is or if he'd do HLC "maintenance." Maybe he'll see this and chime in at least with a "Yep, we're still doing occasional (annual?) bug fix work," or "Nope, not being maintained at all."

I spent a lot of time with one person in LW support (I don't recall his name without checking my mail logs) who was my point person for bug fixes and the like on iOS. I was in the beta test program for that version of the code. (It's still my preferred version, as the UI is sooo much nicer and more consistent than the desktop version.)

I've often wondered about decompiling the .hl files to see if they could be turned into something equivalent to the .user files created by the community. I've done such things in the past with various applications (mostly games), but that was 30 years ago and I don't have the same motivation — or curiosity — that I had back then!

Dwayne July 16th, 2023 04:44 PM

http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=67825

I see that a bug was reported for PF1 and it was fixed for HLO but not for HLC.

Ualaa July 16th, 2023 05:19 PM

I could be wrong, but suspect that I'm not... I think the current version of HL Classic is the final version.

The guy who was doing Spheres stuff after TheIronGolem moved on hasn't been online in a year or more (at least here) and messaging Adam on their latest kickstarter, he said he had not been in contact with that person in the same timespan.
So I'm not hopeful that Spheres of Guile gets added to HL Classic, as nice as it would be.

Adam did say that they want to do a PF2 version of Spheres at some point, but he didn't have an idea on when.

Pooptickler July 19th, 2023 08:39 PM

The annoying thing about HLO is that I need an internet connection to use it and that the search engine blows.
It just namesearches and nothing else, no descriptions or alignments, no pluses or anything.

Pooptickler July 23rd, 2023 01:16 PM

I just realised that they never gave the Reaper Mystery his Final Revelation.

Ualaa July 27th, 2023 08:19 AM

Does it have one, on the HLO version of Pathfinder 1e?

Dwayne September 28th, 2023 05:21 PM

3 months and no response from Lone Wolf. I guess it is too much to expect a response.

Farling September 29th, 2023 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dwayne (Post 302306)
3 months and no response from Lone Wolf. I guess it is too much to expect a response.

Their entire focus is purely on HLO

Krothos September 29th, 2023 11:21 AM

Maybe true, but how long does it take to write a response to confirm HLC is end-of-life and no further updates will be released? :-|

Krothos September 29th, 2023 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Farling (Post 302307)
Their entire focus is purely on HLO

This may be true but how much time does it take to confirm that HLC is end-of-life and no further updates will be released. :confused:

Communication is everything to your customers.

Rhyus September 30th, 2023 05:09 PM

Is this still being updated? I have at least two spells that are not in the list for active spells. I have found that Blazing Rondo (Elemental Master's Handbook) and Hunter's Blessing (Inner Sea Gods). I have also seen that my Psionics do not actively do changes to my character when cast (Body of Iron, Sharpened Edge, etc)

Azhrei October 1st, 2023 09:41 AM

From what I've read here on the forums, there were multiple source books that were supposed to be coded for HL. Then HLO is announced and while we were told that HLC would continue to receive updates, that appears to have not been the case.

In honesty, there was one bug fix update, IIRC, but that's been it. All resources have been directed towards HLO with no official word that "HLC is dead", and so all of the customers who bought and use HLC are just sitting around waiting for a status update. Some closure would be nice...

Farling October 1st, 2023 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Azhrei (Post 302318)
Some closure would be nice...

Why not just assume it's like a cat that's been locked in a box for two years?

You don't need to look inside to know that it isn't alive any more.

Azhrei October 2nd, 2023 11:01 AM

Good point.

The cat had been meowing loudly prior to being locked in the box, saying that it had enough Fancy Feast to last it the rest of its life, and it made that sound like it was going to be a long time. It probably died the following week for lack of a can opener. :D

Farling October 3rd, 2023 02:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Azhrei (Post 302331)
Good point.

The cat had been meowing loudly prior to being locked in the box, saying that it had enough Fancy Feast to last it the rest of its life, and it made that sound like it was going to be a long time. It probably died the following week for lack of a can opener. :D

It wasn't wrong about how much food it had.

Krothos October 3rd, 2023 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Azhrei (Post 302331)
Good point.

So wrong... why did I laugh so hard?! :D

Dwayne January 18th, 2024 05:14 PM

Still no answers.