Lone Wolf Development Forums

Lone Wolf Development Forums (http://forums.wolflair.com/index.php)
-   Realm Works Discussion (http://forums.wolflair.com/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   What does your game table look like? (http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=50112)

liz July 24th, 2014 01:33 PM

What does your game table look like?

Out of curiosity, what does your game table look like with Realm Works? This is one of my tables.

http://drive.google.com/uc?export=vi...nVkMHdZR0pIMW8

mirtos July 24th, 2014 01:35 PM

Thats a nice one. Im in the process of setting up a projector that projects down. (both for Realms Works and for Maptools (what i prefer for the VTT).

(I keep RW and Hero Running on the DM laptop, and have a "PC" laptop, hooked up to the projector)

We use a pool table (with a cover to protect the felt) as the gaming table...

ShadowChemosh July 24th, 2014 02:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by mirtos (Post 188453)
We use a pool table (with a cover to protect the felt) as the gaming table...

Thats almost exactly what I use. Only difference my pool table has a hard wood top that goes over it giving us lots of room.

Here is one where you can just see RW in the top left corner behind the PC's dread pirate ship!
Attachment 2990

Erdrix July 24th, 2014 03:51 PM

This is my set up. My computer runs the three monitors on the desk and another computer runs the TV on the right. We use the TV on the right as the main map and everyone just sits in the living room sofas and use a wireless mouse to move their tokens.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...95/RPSetup.jpg

Acenoid July 24th, 2014 04:18 PM

where is the table? :D

Nice pictures!

Dervish July 24th, 2014 05:24 PM

Sadly we have not used a table in years however i got my wife to agree to let me build a table that can house an LCD/LED screen with a touch screen overlay i just have to paint my house, resurface my roof, insulate our entryway, Build her a sewing table with more storage,then build a wall bed for her mom, and redo the floors in our house...

morval July 24th, 2014 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShadowChemosh (Post 188460)
Thats almost exactly what I use. Only difference my pool table has a hard wood top that goes over it giving us lots of room.

Here is one where you can just see RW in the top left corner behind the PC's dread pirate ship!
Attachment 2990

Hey thats a Worldworks pirate ship! :) I bought almost all of the worldworks stuff, but never made much. :( I should check how things are going over there. I'm more into VTT now though.

liz July 24th, 2014 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by morval (Post 188471)
Hey thats a Worldworks pirate ship! :) I bought almost all of the worldworks stuff, but never made much. :( I should check how things are going over there. I'm more into VTT now though.

One of my GMs uses VTT but he projects it down onto the table (a pool table with a wooden surface funny enough) ... so we still use pirate ships and the like sometimes. We just make sure our VTT is updated along with our characters on the table.

ShadowChemosh July 24th, 2014 09:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by liz (Post 188482)
One of my GMs uses VTT but he projects it down onto the table (a pool table with a wooden surface funny enough) ... so we still use pirate ships and the like sometimes. We just make sure our VTT is updated along with our characters on the table.

I did that for many years also actually but we still used real miniatures as I have WAY too many to not use them. Pool tables as playing surfaces seem to be a theme... :D

I had an older projector and to get the throw distance right I had to bounce this off a mirror. I am actually projecting a NWN map of a sewer as it allowed me to very quickly make a map for the game. Then the underlying square map could be seen so players could move there characters.
Attachment 2991

Quote:

Originally Posted by morval (Post 188471)

I got lucky as one of my players got into making the stuff. So I purchased it and he printed it all out and put it together. So I can't take credit other than being lucky to have a player that adds to stuff to the game.

monsterfurby July 25th, 2014 01:57 AM

Wow, that's quite fancy.

My group plays on roll20, so my game table is literally either my desk or my two screens...

mirtos July 25th, 2014 02:43 AM

ive been trying to figure the best way to project onto a table myself. i prefer the tabletop experience, letting people move their miniatures by hand, but i like the technology aspect of VTT (sortof a combined experience is what im going for)

meek75 July 25th, 2014 03:14 AM

For a while the group I'm a part of used a mirror hung on the ceiling to reflect a projection down on the table. This worked very well. We used maptools as the software of choice. However, finding and/or creating good maps can become a very time intensive job.

mirtos July 25th, 2014 05:07 AM

will have to try the mirror thing (I also use Maptools for the VTT side of things and Realms Works for other stuff, but obviously reflecting text wouldnt work).

As for maps, i agreeit can be time consuming (rewarding though)

Dark Lord Galen July 25th, 2014 07:28 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by liz
Out of curiosity, what does your game table look like with Realm Works?

Unfortunately, David is examining a crash issue with my RW, but it normally occupies the space on my #3 monitor on the right, next to my world map, Journal, IM messenger & Calendar. I have hopes one day of incorporating all of those into RW and do away with the splintered effect of multiple programs.

Below is a view from my players end. We can seat 9 (10 counting me) comfortably, though generally only have 7 in attendance except for annual "Game-a-Thons".

The table has two 42" lcd TVs imbedded into the surface covered with 1/4" glass. We put grandmas old dining table to good use.. heeheh.... Seriously, got the table at Goodwill, but sure it was somebody's grandma's table (so far no hauntings).

The 52" behind the DM station allows me to display things that all could see.

Each player has a tablet PC. With Herolab, an IM Messenger, and MS Word installed.
  • This allows the Player to utilize Herolab to new potentials (see the effects of Rage or a spell adjust immediately for example). It allows me to collect all the PORs and reissue for each session electronically. (Would be nice to have it LAN Live to send/ receive changes but that's for a different thread elsewhere).
  • The IM Messenger allows me to receive or send private messages to each player & maintain a log of all IMs sent. (beats passing notes)
  • Lastly the use of MS Word is far superior to the Journal within Herolab (Hoping RW is an improvement there and that there is a sync between Herolab and the RW players addition allowing for current info without redundant typing)
[Photo1
http://forums.wolflair.com/attachmen...1&d=1416261413
  • The photo below is from the DMs perspective.
  • From here, I have Herolab, Herolabs Tactical View, and various Excel Spreadsheets on the left screen.
  • On the middle screen, (since its multitouch)I run the detail map and various other tools (ie weather generator, player vs DM viewable maps, etc) the multitouch allows me to scale on the fly.
  • The Right screen holds Realmworks, the IM Messenger, and the overview map of the area.
Photo2
http://forums.wolflair.com/attachmen...1&d=1416260563
Photo3
http://forums.wolflair.com/attachmen...1&d=1416261020
Quote:

Originally Posted by ShadowChemosh
Quote:

Originally Posted by Originally Posted by liz

I did that for many years also actually but we still used real miniatures as I have WAY too many to not use them.

Like ShadowChemosh, I have way too many actual figures to not utilize them. Been collecting since 1979, and stopped counting at 3500. They are housed in the cabinets behind the DM station. So I mix them with Pog generated tokens as needed. My players seem to like the old school minis because I tend to utilize them to represent unique encounters (ie primary npc, certain tribes of orcs, etc)

And like ShadowChemosh, I tried to utilize an overhead system, but don't have sufficient ceiling height, so I abandoned it for the LCD setup.

I realize We might have an extreme setup. Most people don't have a dedicated game room. But hey, some people hunt, golf, fish, etc... we are gamers..... and the overall cost is actually less than most would think....I'm thankful my wife supports my addictions.. :D

*Edit* updated links

MaxSupernova July 25th, 2014 07:59 AM

All of this tech is impressive.

My table, however, looks like this:

http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/20242593/

With me and a laptop at one end, and my players around it with pencils and character sheets. I'm a bit of a diceaholic, so we usually have a huge pile of different 6-sided dice in the middle of the table.

I don't use a lot of tech during my game. I have my ruleset conversions and notes in RealmWorks, and my campaign material as well.

If RealmWorks had any way to export, I'd prefer to print the ruleset and make a few notes on paper about the session and skip the laptop completely. I really prefer a 6" DM screen (just enough to discourage peekers) and a few sheets of paper. I feel like the laptop puts a barrier between my players and I, and we lose some of the co-operative storytelling feeling that I like to generate.

But RW is an incredible organization tool for my campaign and I love using it to create and organize, so I'll keep using the laptop until I can export in any format. Needs must. :)

Dark Lord Galen July 25th, 2014 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaxSupernova (Post 188517)
All of this tech is impressive.

My table, however, looks like this:

http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/20242593/

I feel like the laptop puts a barrier between my players and I, and we lose some of the co-operative storytelling feeling that I like to generate.

But RW is an incredible organization tool for my campaign and I love using it to create and organize, so I'll keep using the laptop until I can export in any format. Needs must. :)

I concur, as an old school "grognard" I am always reminding my younger players of the benefits of ROLE play vs ROLL play... That is part of the reason I choose the monitors I did...

The center one is technically designed for graphic artists (that is why it tilts almost flat). The tilt allows plenty of view to my players, but just enough to not be legible to peekers. the two either side are LGs low profile ultra wides. They are only 11" tall, but nearly 2' wide allowing for lots of windows to be simultaneously open side by side, but not obstructing my view.

Like you will be happy when RW incorporates a PDF (or anything) form of export, till then I give Snipit a workout cutting and pasting.

The Tech keeps my younger gamers happy while weaning them off of the metagamer/ PC gamer mentality and releasing the REAL power.... improv and imagination.

liz July 25th, 2014 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dark Lord Galen (Post 188512)
General awesomeness...

Wow. That is incredible. In fact, all of these set-ups are impressive! I'm starting to get some ideas for future set-ups. Keep them coming!

ryntak4536 July 25th, 2014 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mirtos (Post 188508)
will have to try the mirror thing (I also use Maptools for the VTT side of things and Realms Works for other stuff, but obviously reflecting text wouldnt work).

As for maps, i agreeit can be time consuming (rewarding though)

Actually, your projector should be able to let you reverse/mirror the projection, so that what hits the table is legible. We use one like that at our game table, and I've often put hand outs on there.

Dark Lord Galen July 25th, 2014 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erdrix (Post 188467)
This is my set up.

Being the left brained, detail oriented Engineer.. I noticed some Judge Dredd and what looks like Some dragon magazine covers on the wall....:cool:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8h8dpn6q67...gon%20Mags.png

I always Liked Daniel Horne's work. He actually dressed female fighters in something besides a chainmail bikini.:o... Unfortunate that he does most of his work in the Goth Monster genre (ie Dracula, Frankenstein, etc) I think his eye for the fantasy aspect is good as well.
The Judge Dredds I get, but was curious as to why dragon #126?

I also have my favorites from the Dragon Magazine days (#106 by Keith Parkinson tops the list). I was fortunate to get a signed copy before he passed away.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ulc1xsypxa...875%5B1%5D.jpg

@ Mirtos> I agree with Ryntak, before I switched to the LCD view I have I had a Cheap Viewsonic projector and it would allow you to reverse the projection... but with it, it was buried in the submenu's so you might have to dig for it..... the problem I faced with the ceiling height was getting the keystone to be correct especially when bouncing from a mirror..... Once that was figured out, the other issue I ran into was lumens versus the amount of light to play by.... I have one session at night.. not so bad, but the daytime one made it very difficult to sufficiently light the mapping surface.

mirtos July 25th, 2014 01:40 PM

ahh, didnt realize that. thx.

Erdrix July 26th, 2014 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dark Lord Galen (Post 188539)
Being the left brained, detail oriented Engineer.. I noticed some Judge Dredd and what looks like Some dragon magazine covers on the wall....:cool:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8h8dpn6q67...gon%20Mags.png

I always Liked Daniel Horne's work. He actually dressed female fighters in something besides a chainmail bikini.:o... Unfortunate that he does most of his work in the Goth Monster genre (ie Dracula, Frankenstein, etc) I think his eye for the fantasy aspect is good as well.
The Judge Dredds I get, but was curious as to why dragon #126?

Those were cardboard page dividers from an old AD&D monster manual that came in a three ring binder. I picked some of the ones I liked the art and framed them for the wall.

Dark Lord Galen July 26th, 2014 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erdrix (Post 188622)
Those were cardboard page dividers from an old AD&D monster manual that came in a three ring binder. I picked some of the ones I liked the art and framed them for the wall.

Ah I know the one! That would be the 2nd Addition Monstrous Compendium... have a copy! totally forgot those were the page dividers... thanks for the reminder... the gorgnard mind sometimes slips....

mirtos July 26th, 2014 06:12 PM

Ahh ... Monstrous Compendium... i had most of them. takes me back.

Erdrix July 26th, 2014 06:29 PM

That was it. I'm not at home and couldn't remember the name of it.

Jamz July 27th, 2014 09:01 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Here's my custom table I built last year. It's 10' x 52" to fit the 7-8 players we have on a weekly basis! (It now has a glass insert that protects the TV).

Sorry, the picture was taken before Realm Works was released, but I'll update it once the Player View is done! ;-)

http://forums.wolflair.com/attachmen...1&d=1406480334

http://forums.wolflair.com/attachmen...0&d=1406480247

mirtos July 27th, 2014 09:11 AM

What TV do you use? I thought most TVs had issues at being mounted like that?

Jamz July 27th, 2014 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mirtos (Post 188655)
What TV do you use? I thought most TVs had issues at being mounted like that?

It's a VIZIO E500i-A1 50" 1080p 120Hz LED Smart TV w/ Wi-Fi.

I got it refurb from Woot < $500. I did luck out as I didn't even think about the Viewing Angle before I got it. But this thing worked out perfect! You can view it from the bottom and side just fine, looks the same from all angles.

It also hasn't suffered from weight or heat issues either after a year of use (1 x week for 8+ hours ontime). Even with the glass mounted over it (which some tv's hate because heat rises) it never gets over mid to high 90 degrees. Usually around 90ish. LCD's are so low powered these days, it's not as much an issue. (I was going to mount fans but haven't needed to).

Now, the table is SOLID (made from white ash and weighs about the same as a pool table lol) which means it heavily resists bumps, pushes, etc. So that means the tv doesn't jar/move at all which I suppose could otherwise contribute to the lcd separating from the screen under weight.

All in all, it was a cheaper solution than fixing my Projector that died, with much brighter, higher resolution, nicer picture.

Ladyofdragons July 28th, 2014 06:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamz (Post 188654)
Here's my custom table I built last year. It's 10' x 52" to fit the 7-8 players we have on a weekly basis! (It now has a glass insert that protects the TV).

ok, now I have table envy. have to figure out how to do this.

Do your players use laptops, and if so is there enough room around the TV for them?

kthomasms July 28th, 2014 01:33 PM

You guys gave me a couple of ideas on how to better incorporate RW into my game table. Question though, can you run RW on 2 machines at the same time? I thought is logged you out?

Jamz July 28th, 2014 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ladyofdragons (Post 188716)
ok, now I have table envy. have to figure out how to do this.

Do your players use laptops, and if so is there enough room around the TV for them?

we have a mix. The GM has one at the end, and 2 to 4 players use laptops, rest use tablets.

Dark Lord Galen July 30th, 2014 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamz (Post 188659)
It's a VIZIO E500i-A1 50" 1080p 120Hz LED Smart TV w/ Wi-Fi.

I got it refurb from Woot < $500. I did luck out as I didn't even think about the Viewing Angle before I got it. But this thing worked out perfect! You can view it from the bottom and side just fine, looks the same from all angles.

It also hasn't suffered from weight or heat issues either after a year of use (1 x week for 8+ hours ontime). Even with the glass mounted over it (which some tv's hate because heat rises) it never gets over mid to high 90 degrees. Usually around 90ish. LCD's are so low powered these days, it's not as much an issue. (I was going to mount fans but haven't needed to).

Now, the table is SOLID (made from white ash and weighs about the same as a pool table lol) which means it heavily resists bumps, pushes, etc. So that means the tv doesn't jar/move at all which I suppose could otherwise contribute to the lcd separating from the screen under weight.

All in all, it was a cheaper solution than fixing my Projector that died, with much brighter, higher resolution, nicer picture.

I concur with Jamz' review of the embed TV application on multiple counts.
1> View angle should considered.
2> As Jamz points out, heat build up could be a concern. look at where the TV is designed to vent off heat...
  • I selected two JVC 47" Class, 1080p, Smart, 3D, 120Hz Black Sapphire. Like Jamz found a good deal(<$500), only at Sams Wholesale...
  • We selected JVC because they have a zero bezel width that would allow me to run the TVs end to end with only a 1/2 black bar separating the view(the 1/2 is the culmination of the LCD projection limits.) .
  • This gives us an electronic map 25"x 84" on a table size of 48" x 120"(basically allowing an 11" width around the view area for tablets, dice trays, books, etc.
3> Agree with his appraisal on the brighter, higher resolution as well... even in high light environments.

In reference to Laptop question, Some of my players have their own, with Hero Lab Installed. I also purchased several used Fujitsu T2220 Tablets on ebay for about $100 each for those that don't have one. Linked to a router under the table allows the group to share a common drive to back up their POR files, journals, etc... Have hopes that Realmworks will modernize this to the next level.

Decapus July 30th, 2014 12:45 PM

2 Attachment(s)
This is our game table with Realm Works. I'm still in the process of finishing the scenery around the table.

Attachment 3015

Attachment 3016

karpomatic July 30th, 2014 12:51 PM

Nice! I like that one!

Parody August 7th, 2014 05:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 3033

So here's the table on which I ran our Kingmaker campaign (using Pathfinder) for the last two years. I took the picture from the GM position. The "tablecloth" is a Chessex Mondomat, and is just barely bigger than the tabletop (4.5'x8' or so). On the board there's an initiative tracker (I blurred the names), AC grid, and situational modifiers chart. We used to have the maps up there as well (11"x17" prints) with magnetic pushpins and such but we were in the process of cleaning everything up when I took this picture.

So I'm sure you're asking "Where's the fancy projectors or TV in the table? Where's Realm Works?" Well, we don't have any of that. People do have laptops, tablets, and smartphones and we all used them at the table at one time or another (mostly for looking up rules), but our game played out with miniatures and marker maps drawn on the table. RW came out too late for me to even try to use it with the campaign. (We were into the last book by the time I started using it.)

Maybe in the future with the other clients available RW can be part of our campaigns, but for now markers and notes will have to do. :)

Lexfire August 12th, 2014 06:22 PM

Very simple - Melamine Board - Home Depot $13 a sheet. With 36 x 70 1" squares using dry erase markers.

Currently playing Pathfinder weekly and AD&D 2nd edition monthly.

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t...mingtable2.jpg

mhossom August 14th, 2014 06:32 AM

Lexfire - How did you apply the 1" grid to the malamine?

Lexfire August 14th, 2014 05:57 PM

I used a t-shaped ruler - http://grabcad.com/library/t-shaped-ruler

Modeling Scribe - http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/squ/squ10202.htm

Took about 4 hours to scribe the very thin line in the melamine.

Use the thin melamine board - 1/8" x 4' x 8' thick - not the heavy thicker board. The melamine sheet sits on top of a piece of plywood for rigidity and then on the table.

Cleaning options - http://www.howtocleanthings.com/surf...rase-board.htm

Wax it once in a while with a paste car wax.

Farnaby September 6th, 2014 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamz (Post 188654)

Sorry, the picture was taken before Realm Works was released, but I'll update it once the Player View is done! ;-)

http://forums.wolflair.com/attachmen...1&d=1406480334

http://forums.wolflair.com/attachmen...0&d=1406480247

A question for everyone with a built-in monitor or projector in your table:

Do you flip the screen 180 degrees for the players on the other side, or do they use the mouse upside down, or ...?

AEIOU September 6th, 2014 02:35 PM

The d20pro Kickstarter going on right now is aiming to make the screen elements rotatable by the players....

Quote:

Multi Touch & Multi Player – use many fingers to control your minis and manipulate the virtual world. Menus and Windows may be rotated for multiple players arranged around a horizontal screen.

Dark Lord Galen September 6th, 2014 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Farnaby (Post 192401)
A question for everyone with a built-in monitor or projector in your table:

Do you flip the screen 180 degrees for the players on the other side, or do they use the mouse upside down, or ...?

I use a wireless Logitech T650 touch pad...so the players can pass it around and only have to orient the pad to match screen orientation. (in our case the players use the Logitech logo as an orientation reminder for where the "top" of the pad is = Top of TVs in our case)

Once they became accustom to that, "orientation of the screen" doesn't really come into play..... though this will not work for those utilizing a VTT atmosphere that displays text on the "table".... The text will still orient based on TV.

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Recha.../dp/B0093H4WT6

Of Course LWD & RW potential corroboration could also help on the text orientation since there is currently discussion on the D20pro VTT software being able to be sync'd with external devices such as players laptops thus eliminating that "text orientation" problem.

See here for details and D20 Kickstarter currently underway.
Quote:

Originally Posted by D20Pro & Steven
Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven
Steven Wells 4 days ago

For RW integration, the key pieces to me would be shared maps, shared player handouts and shared HL portfolios. What tidbits can you share about the Unlimited vision that would entice RW users to take the plunge and invest in the KS?

Creator Mesa Mundi Inc. 4 days ago

@Steven, that's a great question. I've already had some productive early talks with Rob Bowes about first steps to integrate d20Pro Unlimited and RealmWorks.

Unlimited should be able to import creatures directly from HL portfolios; however, we need to do more research before talking definitively on how to accomplish the round trip - where Unlimited would write back changes to the creature to the HL portfolio. Another item is persisting Unlimited data in Realm Works, so it can be conjured back up later as needed.

Mesa Mundi and Lone Wolf Development will be hashing out our integration strategy over the coming months. We talk about the RPG "ecosystem" where technology can enhance any aspect of gameplay. The entire ecosystem is quite large and we feel smaller companies will band together to provide a comprehensive solution. MM and LWD have common interests and mutual respect - so while I can say exactly how it will unfold we'll be collaborating with Rob and his crew to the best of our abilities.

Best regards and good gaming,
Mat ~ GM Thraxxis

&
Quote:

Originally Posted by D20Pro & Robert
Mesa Mundi Inc. 4 days ago
Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert
Robert Stone 4 days ago

Correct me if I'm wrong here but it was my understanding that eventually you want to make it where you can basically drag and drop character/monsters from Hero Lab to Unlimited and they would transfer automatically. Right?

@Robert the immediate plan is to import directly from Hero Lab's Portfolio files (.por). So you'd just need to save your changes in Hero Lab and then point Unlimited to the desired portfolio and presto!

I have chatted with Colen and Rob at LWD about inter-process communication that would allow even more seamless transfer, though we're not ready to announce anything along those lines. We've also been talking about RealmWorks integration and will be announcing our initial steps later this year on that topic.

Best regards and good gaming,
Mat ~ GM Thraxxis

For more info see
D20 Pro Kickstarter
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...rtual-tabletop

Note I am not affiliated with Either LWD nor MM But I am a supporter of both... so this is not a "sales pitch" for KS support... make that judgment yourself.
And Lastly I "assume" (dangerous these days) that Rob & LWD take no issues with the link to the D20Pro Kickstarter... If so feel free to remove that part of the posting....
Just my 2cp