Lone Wolf Development Forums

Lone Wolf Development Forums (http://forums.wolflair.com/index.php)
-   Realm Works in Action (http://forums.wolflair.com/forumdisplay.php?f=91)
-   -   Realm Works and Hero Labs - GM Tour (http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=56718)

daplunk October 4th, 2016 10:43 AM

Realm Works and Hero Labs - GM Tour

Keep seeing questions pop up in social media asking for recommendations on digital tools that Dms can use. Made a video to give new GMs an idea of what can be achieved with Realm Works and Hero Labs.

You can check it out below.

Daplunk's Realm Works and Hero Lab Videos - The Playlist

Realm Works and Hero Labs - GM Tour
Realm Works - A Player Tour
Realm Works and Hero Labs - Working with Monsters
Hero Lab - D&D 5e Player Tour
Realm Works - Timelines
Realm Works - Prepping a Module
Realm Works - Creating Worlds
Realm Works - Playing Sound at the Table
Realm Works - Managing Merchants and their Wares
Realm Works and Frostgrave - Does Realm Works Work With Tabletop Wargames?
Realm Works - Forgotten Realm (Faerun) Interactive Map
Realm Works - Working with Tags and Custom Categories
Realm Works - Where to Begin!?!
Realm Works - Working With Maps
Realm Works - How to Setup Campaign Journals
Realm Works and Hero Lab - How to Manage Encounters and Combat
Realm Work and Hero Lab - Managing a Massive Combat Encounter
Realm Works - GM Discussion About Player View
Realm Works - Using It As A Digital Spell Book or Digital Player Hand Book
Hero Lab - How To Install And Configure The D&D 5e Community Pack
Realm Works and Syrinscape
Realm Works - Game Sessions and Using Reveal History
Realm Works - How to Export a Realm (Full or Partial Export)
Realm Works - Importing a Shared Realm
Realm Works - How to Copy a Realm
Realm Works - Integration With Spotify
Realm Works - Using Storyboards
Realm Works - Creating Random Tables
Realm Works - Using Inspiration Pad Pro To Generate Random Table Results
Realm Works - Linking To Donjon From Realm Works To Display Random Table Results
Realm Works - EightBitz's XML Transformation Script (now with GUI and Word support) - Print or Spell Check your realm!
Realm Works - How To Get Pictures From PDF Into Realm Works While Maintaining Transparency
Realm Works - Bulk Moving Articles To Different Categories
Realm Works - Data Entry (Tables)
Hero Lab Editor - Create Spells
Realm Works - Linked Web View
Realm Works - Scan for New Links
Realm Works - World Almanac, Story Almanac and Mechanics Reference

Video's From Other Users - We love videos of Realm Works... Show us your Realm!
Lee Smith - Home Brew world of Lerchanth
LeeSmith - How To Enter Modules
Exmortis - Intro I
Exmotis, the missing quote:
Quote:

"Nothing entered into Realm Works has no use, or is wrong. Everything can be moved, copied, re-categorized, and thus re-used. Can't stress enough, how you can just start working, and learn, then go back and update early work with what you learned along the way. U1 looked substantially different V1, then it does now, probably in a V5 state. Just dive in and go for it!"
KEN's Realm Works PLAYLIST
kbs666 - Using Realm Works and Hero Lab to Build Encounters
kbs666 - Adventure organization in Realm Works
kbs666 - Tags and Custom Categories in Realm Works
kbs666 - Getting Started with Realm Works
kbs666 - Relationship System and Viewer
kbs666 - Pathfinder Knowledge Checks and Monsters
kbs666 - Managing Names
kbs666 - Smart Images
kbs666 - Custom Views
kbs666 - Smart Images in Encounters/Tactical Maps

Other Links
Realm Works IRC Chat - Use Channel: #realm-works
Realm Works Facebook Fan Group

Videos Not Specifically About Realm Works - But They Can Be Used To Supplement The Realm Works Experience
What Software Can You Use To Create RPG Maps?
CC3+ / DD3 - How To Create A Basic Dungeon Map
MapTool - Virtual Table Top Software For The Physical Table
Perspectives 3 - How To Create Isometric Dungeon Maps
Dungeon Designer 3 - How To Add A Floors Mask (Use of TRACE)
Magic Set Editor - Creating Player Handouts (Cards)
TokenTool - Creating Tokens For Your Game
CC3+ / CA3 - Creating Pictures Of Player and Non-Player Characters

ibecker October 4th, 2016 11:31 AM

Thank you for putting this together! It's a nice overview of the two products and how they interact.

BJ October 4th, 2016 12:47 PM

How very cool! Thank you for sharing. :)

King Chicken October 4th, 2016 06:01 PM

I am so happy someone took the time to do this. It was an invaluable sales pitch for new users, and an excellent resource that gave ideas to current owners.

I'm already making changes to some things to make this cross-platform work better. Pins in smart images, making sure I'm linking portfolios in encounters, that kind of stuff. I suffer from horrible scale creep when I get started, so I start with a Pathfinder module and before I know it, I spiral out into entering the entire world of Golarion into the database. You know what always gets me? I want every link to work when I write or enter the content, then before I know it, I'm not even looking at the module anymore, I'm entering the backstory of a town in another country. Because the links keep expanding!

I liked the layout, going to see if I can crib some organizational strategies from the video.

Thanks again for taking the time.

daplunk October 4th, 2016 06:28 PM

:)

This is obviously just how I use it. Would love to see more examples of how people do things differently.

MNBlockHead October 4th, 2016 08:32 PM

What a great resource. Thank you for doing this!

daplunk October 5th, 2016 05:02 AM

Added 2 more videos now to show some of the monster creation methods.

Realm Works and Hero Lab - Working With Monsters

Dhrakken October 5th, 2016 05:03 AM

This rocks, as a new RW user, this is invaluable! Thank YOU!!!

AEIOU October 5th, 2016 08:40 AM

Thanks, Daplunk. Exactly what users have requested for two years -- real hands-on tutorials with explanations rather than slick marketing that focuses on features without context on how to use effectively. You rock!

It would be great if BJ made a series of videos of start-to-finish creation of people, places, things, rules, mobs, alternate names, maps, containers, then show how to find those things using sorts and alternate views, and finally tie them all together to create a short adventure or scenario with storyboard, timeline, relationships, stories, read-alouds, DM text, HL use at the table, etc. How does LWD envision their product being used to its fullest? Post each to a forum directory for community comments and "I'd do that this way" conversations.

BJ October 5th, 2016 09:07 AM

I have had that thought AEIOU, it's on my list of items I'd like to do but it may be a while before I can get to it. :)

Thanks again Daplunk!

AEIOU October 5th, 2016 10:08 AM

Thanks, BJ. I strongly feel that showing people why they can't live without RW would be more effective than telling them what it can do. I'm sure you're not at a loss for great ideas. If only the days were longer....

daplunk October 5th, 2016 12:00 PM

Happy to make some more. I figure the content market is going to attract some fresh blood so having these available will certainly reduce some of the question and answer time that will most certainly follow.

Any other ideas in what should be covered?

MNBlockHead October 5th, 2016 02:28 PM

Would would be interesting is to have videos that walk through material on the content market, that discusses the thinking and decisions that went in to how the content was entered and organized. These would serve as both instructional/demo videos and advertisements for content available in the CM.

daplunk October 5th, 2016 02:47 PM

Not something I can do unfortunately. But hopefully LW are watching.

Their forum presence has certainly increased significantly this last week indicating to me that a milestone has been completed.

kbs666 October 5th, 2016 06:43 PM

I would assume most if not all of the people who authored the realms for the CM, besides maybe the LWD folks, are restricted from talking about their work by NDA's.

I have thought off and on about doing a series of videos showing how I use RW and HL to build adventures but I've never really been sure if any one would watch them.

daplunk October 5th, 2016 06:49 PM

Honestly I didnt start out making this for people who already had the tool. I just wanted a quick way to respond to the "are there any good D&D5e applications for DMs" posts that make their way around the inter-webs. But with that said I am getting quite a few hits and positive feedback from people in this forum. Look's like other's are certainly interested in seeing how others use the tool.

Dhrakken October 6th, 2016 05:11 AM

You know, after watching your videos; what really struck me is how much time it must have taken you to enter all that data. I'm not going to lie, as a new user that is barely scratching the surface, the task ahead of me feels truly daunting.

Hurry up content market and take my money already!

daplunk October 6th, 2016 05:38 AM

I had a pregnant wife who wasn't moving far and a job that ran out of work for a while lol. But yes... If I can buy this stuff on the content market I absolutely will.

BJ October 6th, 2016 06:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kbs666 (Post 235714)
I have thought off and on about doing a series of videos showing how I use RW and HL to build adventures but I've never really been sure if any one would watch them.

I suspect many people would watch them. It's quite valuable to have "how to videos" that show how to operate the programs. It eliminates a great deal of confusion over a seemingly daunting task. ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dhrakken (Post 235728)
You know, after watching your videos; what really struck me is how much time it must have taken you to enter all that data. I'm not going to lie, as a new user that is barely scratching the surface, the task ahead of me feels truly daunting.

Once you get the hang of it all, it's quite easy!

Barwickian October 6th, 2016 08:31 AM

I use pretty much the same set-up as you for my Pathfinder/Runelords game, daplunk, although I didn't know the map-as-navigation-bar trick (thanks, that's going to make Saturday's session easier to manage).

I've got 8 players. The ability to integrate enemies into Hero Labs, click a button and have initiative rolled automatically is a great time-saver.

Unlike you, I do release info to the players for use between sessions, and I write a running campaign diary based on the game session reveals and a few notes made during the session - this serves as a point of entry that hyperlinks to relevant material they've uncovered during the campaign.

Barwickian October 6th, 2016 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dhrakken (Post 235728)

Hurry up content market and take my money already!

While I share your desire for the content market, it's mainly so I can get a damned good look at how others have organised their content.

Like daplunk I have a huge amount of information in my various realms. All I can say is that it's much easier if you have PDFs to cut and paste from. You quickly learn keyboard shortcuts to ease the process, and the very act of going through information, cutting and pasting it, doing little bits of reorganisation in Realm Works, actually serves as prep time - you remember a lot of it.

Some of the pain is in working out how you're actually going to organise the content. That you really learn by doing - I scarcely touch the plot and relationships windows, for instance, preferring a slightly more traditional structure of storylines combined with containers for places, people and things - the hyperlinks tie everything together.

Since I'm more interested in setting and background, and since my players know the rules system pretty well, I've concentrated more on getting setting details into RW than game mechanics.

It *can* be a pain. It is, after all, a form of data entry. There are times I don't want to do it, and times I enjoy it. So long as I keep a couple of steps ahead of the players, I can happily go off and play a computer game instead of prepping.

Initially, getting in the background information took a few weeks of solitary effort. Since then, I've just kept adding to the plot information as necessary. I try to keep a few sessions ahead of the players.

For example, my players have just reached the Graul Farm in Rise of the Runelords - I've got that and Fort Rannick already in Realm Works, and once I stop typing here I'll add some more plot entries from the rest of the Hook Mountain Massacre. I doubt I'll get that chapter finished this evening, but you never know. You get quicker the more you do it.

dentaa October 6th, 2016 08:48 AM

Awesome!!!!! Thank you!!!!

Dhrakken October 6th, 2016 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barwickian (Post 235746)
While I share your desire for the content market, it's mainly so I can get a damned good look at how others have organised their content.

Like daplunk I have a huge amount of information in my various realms. All I can say is that it's much easier if you have PDFs to cut and paste from. You quickly learn keyboard shortcuts to ease the process, and the very act of going through information, cutting and pasting it, doing little bits of reorganisation in Realm Works, actually serves as prep time - you remember a lot of it.

Some of the pain is in working out how you're actually going to organise the content. That you really learn by doing - I scarcely touch the plot and relationships windows, for instance, preferring a slightly more traditional structure of storylines combined with containers for places, people and things - the hyperlinks tie everything together.

Since I'm more interested in setting and background, and since my players know the rules system pretty well, I've concentrated more on getting setting details into RW than game mechanics.

It *can* be a pain. It is, after all, a form of data entry. There are times I don't want to do it, and times I enjoy it. So long as I keep a couple of steps ahead of the players, I can happily go off and play a computer game instead of prepping.

Initially, getting in the background information took a few weeks of solitary effort. Since then, I've just kept adding to the plot information as necessary. I try to keep a few sessions ahead of the players.

For example, my players have just reached the Graul Farm in Rise of the Runelords - I've got that and Fort Rannick already in Realm Works, and once I stop typing here I'll add some more plot entries from the rest of the Hook Mountain Massacre. I doubt I'll get that chapter finished this evening, but you never know. You get quicker the more you do it.

Totally get where you're coming from and I too have noticed with just a few days of data entry, I have gotten a lot better and through watching many videos, have learnt a lot of tricks. I mainly want the content market for the mechanics and potentially the setting; I fully intend to enter the plot/adventure myself as I do agree; it's a good form of prep. Plus I'm running 6 PC's who are mythic through Reign of Winter which was intended for 4 PC's and no mythic so I have to do a lot of rewriting/restructuring anyway.

Gord October 9th, 2016 10:58 AM

That was one great video. I am in awe of the data and organization you have put in place. My data files are getting large but I can't imagine the size of yours.

Exmortis October 10th, 2016 01:49 PM

Very nice mate!

Finally back in town and can watch a video, internet at the lake is very spotty and it can be a chore to read email.

One thing these videos do, is show those who are new, or even little wary about using RW, a little booster to get going.

One thing that can not be stressed enough, is how forgiving RW is, you can always re manipulate the data entered, and nothing is a waste of time.

Very good stuff, keep it coming!

daplunk October 14th, 2016 04:44 AM

Hi guys,

New video focused on timelines.

Realm Works - Timelines

daplunk October 14th, 2016 12:51 PM

And one on entering a module from PDF into RW.

Dhrakken October 14th, 2016 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daplunk (Post 236183)
And one on entering a module from PDF into RW.

Oh this one I can't wait to see!

daplunk October 14th, 2016 01:07 PM

It's probably the most boring one so far to be honest. I tried to show how i enter a PDF in using a very small adventure but its still going to be long winded. Need to do some actual video editing perhaps to show snippets of the process instead of the start to finish.

King Chicken October 14th, 2016 04:33 PM

I know I posted before, but that was 3 videos ago. Doing gord's work. Much appreciated.

Asandir October 14th, 2016 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daplunk (Post 236186)
It's probably the most boring one so far to be honest. I tried to show how i enter a PDF in using a very small adventure but its still going to be long winded. Need to do some actual video editing perhaps to show snippets of the process instead of the start to finish.

Actually I got quite a lot out of it.

salcor October 20th, 2016 06:17 PM

daplunk,

I must commend you, your videos are amazing. I was wondering if you could provide some advice, perhaps you can do it in another video. So I am starting to enter in Rifts world information to use with Savage Rifts. The information for the world is spread through out 40+ books. I like how you set up the prefixes based on the information in the modules. How would your recommend doing prefixes for world building based information. Like in your Faerun second, how to you prefix the different cities and nations in the Forgotten Realms?

Salcor

daplunk October 20th, 2016 06:29 PM

I've not actually tried to build my own world yet but I can see what you're asking. I'm in the process of fleshing out the map of Faerun actually. Let me have a look at that and see if I can create a useful video.

daplunk October 20th, 2016 06:33 PM

Actually... i might have a crack at setting up a whole universe and showing how I would set it up. People might find that useful.

Asandir October 20th, 2016 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daplunk (Post 236515)
Actually... i might have a crack at setting up a whole universe and showing how I would set it up. People might find that useful.

Yes. Would like to see your thoughts on it.

daplunk October 21st, 2016 03:49 PM

Ok spent yesterday putting more of an actual world together. Video can be found HERE.

I found i didn't use alot of Prefix's. My preference would be to use the folder structure instead and use prefix's when you want to sort something in a specific way.

mazzy October 21st, 2016 03:53 PM

I purchased Realm Works about 3'ish months ago after I finally dove into the DM chair. Unfortunately, I had a hard time getting started with it though I am a huge fan of all that can be done with it. It was just difficult for me to decide how to get started, I know there were tons of posts saying 'just start inputting' but that just doesn't work for me :(

Seeing your videos and getting a glimpse of how someone has set theirs up though has helped tremendously! I actually spent some time yesterday evening inputting data from the campaign I'm running and though I'm sure I'll be tweaking how I've organized stuff at least I have taken that critical step forward.

I look forward to watching the rest of the videos you've shared and any new ones you post!!

daplunk October 21st, 2016 04:12 PM

I was so overwhelmed when i first started. I put it down and left it for a year. It wasn't until Hero Lab support came out that I went back to it. So glad i did! Nothing else i tried came even remotely close.

AEIOU October 21st, 2016 10:57 PM

It's never done. And that's ok. I'm going through a few thousand entries now as I standardize and ensure I have sources identified. Dive in and spend as much or as little time as makes your games enjoyable.

BoomerET October 22nd, 2016 06:48 AM

Looks like I'm in the same boat as a few of you. Just felt overwhelmed by it all.

So, I decided to take the plunge (thanks to daplunk), and just started taking baby steps.

First by entering NPC's names, and I'm going to build from there.

Dave