PDA

View Full Version : The names of things in scripting

tpkurilla
February 22nd, 2010, 07:54 PM
Greetings!

I'm thrashing around, trying to make headway with making my own addtions to my 4e game system, and I'm struggling a bit.

One thing that I think would help quite a bit, is if I could look at a list of names of things, in their context.

For example, I want to change the size of a character from Medium to Large at 11th level. I've been able to figure out that Size is a trait, but the scripting documentation is written in a very general, vague sort of way that doesn't really help.

I've figured out, by digging in some of the 4e code, that I can use the #traitmodify macro macro to modify Str/Con/Dex/Int/Wis/Cha, but when I add one to trSize, nothing happens.

I've gone to Develop->Enable Data File Debugging as suggested in the Wiki, but I don't get anything listed for "Floating Info Windows", so I can't see anything there.

Is the basic 4e game system, with all of its traits and contexts, documented anywhere?

If not, what 4e data files can I dig into to try to understand how to access things that don't already have an example in one of the files downloaded from DDI?

Any help would be appreciated.

-Thomas

Colen
March 3rd, 2010, 02:43 PM
The best way to figure out things like this is to look for examples that already do what you want. However, for size, there isn't a lot in the game that changes it; there aren't any feats (for example) that add 1 to your size.

One way to get some information about a thing is to right-click on it, and select "Show Debug Tasks". Try that for the Size trait, for example - you'll see a list of the scripts that run on it. The fourth script, running at "Setup/4000", is called "Size final".

This implies that the size has to be "final" (i.e. no more changes made) before the phase/priority "Setup/4000". So try running your script to change size at a priority of "Setup/1000" or so - that should be early enough to change the size, but still late enough that you know what level the hero is.

Hope this helps!

tpkurilla
March 13th, 2010, 10:52 AM
I have the following Eval Script:

if (hero.tagvalue[Level.?] >= 11) then
#traitmodify[trSize,trtBonus,1,""]
endif

I had the Priority at Initialization/100, but changed it to Setup/1000. Still doesn't work. When I advance my character to 11th, the size remains medium.

Also, I'm still not able to get anything to showup using the suggested Debug technique I quoted in my first post. Why do I not get any choice of Debugging things to see?

-Thomas

Colen
March 31st, 2010, 12:03 PM
I just tried this script, and it seems to work fine for me - at level 11 the size changes to Large, and the Large dagger that I add can be used to do 1d6 damage. Are you still encountering problems with this?

You should be able to see the list of floating info windows under the Develop -> Floating Info Windows sub-menu, or by right-clicking on any pick within a table while data file debugging is enabled.