PDA

View Full Version : More Odd problems to bug you guys about...

Evil Curt
November 28th, 2009, 10:54 AM
Greetings! I'm the new kid in town... I used to run the game "Chill" eons ago. But now I've found all you folks!:cool: Anyway, I ran into an odd problem: I made up a bunch of characters. I went to the portfolio to look at "Zachary O'Donnell" (one of my characters), but instead, I got "Sam Wyfield" (A different character). I went back, tried again, but same thing. This did not happen with any other character(s). Also, one of the characters had (either "Sam" or "Zach") seemed to loose their "Stats", (When I would look at "Sam" I would only get "Zachs" stats!) (Does this mean I'm gonna have "Multiple Personality" Disorder????:eek:). I tried doing this several times, but had the same result... ("That" by the way "Is" the definition of Insanity!) I also went back and "re-made" Zach, but I entered the name as "Mr. Zachary O'Donnell", thinking I could get around the problem... No such luck! It gets stranger here: I put the original characters into the Tactical Consol, and sure enough, there are "BOTH" the original "Zach" and "Sam" with all their own stats!:eek: I'm sorry this seems so complex, there are even some other things that happened along the way that shut the program down. but I'll probably drive you all nuts with just what I have here... Anyway, I'm still having the same problem from the main file area... (I wanna look at Sam, but only get Zach...) Oh well, Thanks for any help! I'm gonna go get my Strait Jacket adjusted and get my shot of Thorazine...:D

Evil Curt
November 28th, 2009, 08:39 PM
Allright, this time I was paying attention:

1. Opened program; loaded "Brisken".
2. Opened Tactical console, however, "Brisken" had no artwork and none of the other characters were loaded...
3. Closed tact. console.
4. Went to file; Clicked on "Sirus"...."Theo" loaded instead. (I did'nt look at characters stats)
5. With "Theo" still loaded (just like I had done with "Brisken"), I opened the Tact. console, and there were all the characters, with all the artwork, and with all the correct stats!

(More Thorazine later....considering E.C.T....:eek:)

Also: I had made a "Mr. Zachary O'Donnell", and a "Mr. Test". I had closed the Tact. console and clicked on the "Portfolio" tab. Here I could see all the characters that are actively playing the game. I did'nt see "Mr. Zach" or "Mr. Test"

I hope after reading all this that you don't want to take me to McDonalds and have me Bob for French Fries...!?!

rob
December 1st, 2009, 03:10 PM
OK, this sounds bizarre. I'm going to start by posing a few possibilities for you to consider. I have no idea if these occurred, but I just want to make sure.

The name of the file does not *necessarily* bear any resemblance to the name of the character within the file. You can have a portfolio with the file name "Billy Smith" and it can contain the character "Freddy Jones". When you create a new portfolio *from scratch*, the character name is presented as the default file name. In all other cases, the file name is whatever was already established.

This can come into play when you create a character in an existing portfolio, such as a portfolio file named "foo". If you add a new character to it and then delete the original character, the name of the file will *not* be changed, although the contents will be a different character.

It's also possible to have multiple characters in a single portfolio file. If so, then the last character that was active when the portfolio is saved will be restored as the active character when the portfolio is next loaded. This can potentially cause confusion if you aren't expecting there to be multiple characters in a particular file.

If you are using the TacCon to view multiple characters, then you definitely have multiple characters in a single portfolio. So this could be the source of the confusion.

You can verify the contents of each portfolio file by viewing it in your web browser. Hero Lab portfolios are XML files that can be viewed within Firefox, Internet Explorer, or any other browser with XML file viewing support. If you load the file into the browser, a few lines from the top will be a line that starts "<portfolio herocount=". The number following the "herocount" tells you how many characters are actually in the file. The value next to "activehero" tells you which hero is the one shown when the portfolio is loaded. A few lines down from that, you'll see the start of the first character, which begins with the line starting "<hero". Later on that line or shortly below it, you'll see "heroname=", after which the name of the character is shown. If you search for the next instance of "<hero ", you'll jump to the next character and can view its name in the same way.

Do you see multiple characters in the portfolios? If so, what are their names? Are they the names you are seeing within Hero Lab?

If this doesn't help, go ahead and send me the various portfolio files. I can then look at them and see if I can discern what the problem is. Please send the files to me at: helpdesk at wolflair.com. You'll need to correct the syntax of the email address, which I didn't use to avoid getting lots of spam from forum scrapers.