PDA

View Full Version : Some feature requests!

djc664
August 20th, 2009, 04:54 PM
Greetings!

I had the distinct pleasure of having a walkthrough of Hero Labs late on Sunday (~3pm!) by one of the devs (I apologize I forgot his name!) who, despite insiting he was fried, did a great job of explaining everything to me. During our walk-through, there were some suggestions I had which he asked me to post on the forum so he would remember them. :)

1. Stat-block output with Rich Text / HTML formatting - What I'd love to see is perhaps a formatting break down of the parts of the "official" stat block for each system, where I can set font size, bold/italic/underline, and output margin sizes of the PCs / NPCs I keep in the system. Additional text input spaces for things like "Notes", "Role-playing tactics" and "Combat Tactics" which I can tack on to the stat-block and choose to or not to print for each would also be fa-boo.

The end result would be to replace what I currently do: I enter my NPCs into an Excel document with each column being a different item that may show up on a stat-block. I then mail merge them out into a pre-formatted document in Word that rely on hidden IF/THEN nested rules to decide what to show and how to format it. The end result is a great stat-block that looks like it's out of the book (so reading it is the same), but is formatted so that I can print it out to 4x6 index cards with a Photosmart printer. Obviously this is a very time-intensive process I'd love to replace.

This, by far, is the number-one improvement I'd like to see. It would save literally hours of prep and increase my use and enjoyment of the program in a dramatic fashion.

2. Being able to attach floorplans to bases - This was specifically for Mutants & Masterminds, but I imagine that this would come up with other games. I had made mine in auto-cad, so DWF or DWG would be fantastic, but at least as a graphic would be nice. I'm sure support for the native output from Dunjinni or Campaign Cartographer would be appreciated by others, though for any of them I don't know if it would cost a licensing fee. Hopefully not, since it's helping drive their own products too.

3. Attaching pictures to equipment - I've always enjoyed describing the special details of equipment my players found. With Paizo's gamemastery item cards, this has become even easier. I would love to be able to attach my drawings of the equipment to items I ake for PCs and NPCs.