PDA

View Full Version : Rules question

SAbel
May 25th, 2009, 12:38 PM
It seems that HL uses the 1/2 level ability modifier for calculations of damage, is this the correct amount or does the damage come off of the base modifier?

ex an ability of 18 grants a +4 modifier, but if a character is higher level then the modifier is enhanced lvl 2 the +4 becomes a +5.

Off the PHB character sheet
when figuring out an attack should it not be 1/2 level bonus + ability mod (not ability plus half level mod) + class + prof weapon bonus + feat + enhancement + any misc = attack
Damage = Ability mod + feat + enhancement + misc + misc

but for both would you use the "base" mod or the 1/2 lvl mod for attacks that would seem like double dipping 1/2 lvl ability mod and 1/2 lvl added to att.
but for damage which do we use ability mod or 1/2 lvl ability mod

Just looking for clarification and to make sure that everything adds up correct for major events IE Origins and Gen-Con

SAbel
May 31st, 2009, 02:11 PM
It would seem that when figuring att we should be using the base ability mod (not the 1/2 lvl mod) and when calculating damage it should also use the base ability mod :( and not the 1/2 lvl mod, though I wish it would let us use the later b/c with multiply abilities stacking that makes for a drastict damage total change.
This was sent to me from WOTC rep when I sent them the question. by the way. If anyone has a higher offical responce then let me know.

Thanks

Sean

Colen
June 2nd, 2009, 11:12 AM
I just checked how the official D&D character builder works, and it calculates attack bonus as:

1/2 level + ability + (other bonuses)

While damage is calculated as:

ability + (other bonuses)

So a 15th level Warlock's Eldritch Blast has an attack bonus of +14 (+7 for half level, +7 for ability score) but a damage of only 1d10+7 (+7 charisma). The 4e character sheet also confirms this, because the "1/2 level" is only present for attack bonus stuff.

Thanks for the info! I'll get this corrected.

SAbel
June 8th, 2009, 05:46 AM
Thank you for fixing this, :( now my rouge does the proper damage and I almost fell guilty for all those other encounters dealing out so much more... Na not really

Thank you again for such fast work.

:)