PDA

View Full Version : DDI info

SAbel
April 25th, 2009, 10:05 PM
Is there an easier way to transfer information from the DDI download for each account other than having each PC go through the download. It seems to take a long time (and getting longer each update and I was wondering if I could just copy files to then load them from my desk top (account 1) to my laptop (account 2) to speed things up?

rob
April 27th, 2009, 11:24 AM
You can simply copy the entire "4e" folder from one computer to another. Just download everything on computer #1, make sure it all loads into HL, then copy the "4e" folder over to computer #2 and load.

As a precaution, I recommend that you delete the existing contents of the "4e" folder on computer #2 before the copy. That ensures there are no lingering files that can muck things up on computer #2.

SAbel
April 27th, 2009, 06:14 PM
Hey thanks Rob,
That will make keeping everything in line easier.

:)

SAbel
May 14th, 2009, 01:04 PM
Okay another idea/ question? Is there a way to check the content for DDI info to see what "version" I have installed vs the "newest" release info. I have now attempt to download DDI info 2 times, last night before I went to bed (when I got up there was an error) and so I restarted went to work (but I came home to find that I had lost power during the day so I do know if it finished)
Thanks
Sean

SAbel
May 14th, 2009, 05:07 PM
Ok I have now run DDI for a third time and it has encountered a problem at the "writing race entries" part and I am getting the Microsoft send error report from yesterdays attempt. I was hoping to be able to have the update finished so I could have characters ready for the AnCon convention this weekend.
Help anyone please.

Sean

SAbel
May 15th, 2009, 04:38 AM
Can there be a way to download only specific parts from the DDI instead of the entire file every time?

rob
May 15th, 2009, 03:53 PM
It appears that Wizards changed something else in how the DDI site works that breaks the downloader when you don't utilize a DDI account. We think we've got this fixed and an update will be released tonight that incorporates this change.

lparkh
May 16th, 2009, 10:11 AM
My download/convert also fails at the race stage with same kind of error. I see no update since 5/12 though your email implies that was going to be one last night. Please advise.
I am a new owner and so far this tool is useless to me without the download working :-(

SAbel
May 18th, 2009, 01:30 PM
New Download worked :) Thanks for the fix.

PS
The program worked but the info after the stop point was not there (IE background ect) but they are now available to use.

I think it would be nice to be able to pull specific files from time to time, for example only pull down races or skill, and not have to do the entire DDI download, it seem that entire batch takes nearly two hours (and I am on a fast cable system 10MB/s download) so it is rather stressfull when it does not work.
Ok Just my thoughts.

Sean

Colen
May 21st, 2009, 05:14 PM
The problem with the DDI downloader isn't throughput; we could definitely download stuff faster than we do right now. However, that would result in us hammering the servers, which wouldn't be good behaviour on our part. :(

The simplest thing to do is to set the download going overnight and then check it in the morning - being able to download parts of it at a time would be problematic, because then you'd have some outdated information, and some not. That would then make the update liable to fail because you'd be mixing old and new information, with no way to tell what to do if they conflict. :(

SAbel
May 21st, 2009, 05:28 PM
I was thinking that your answer in number two would possibly say data problems and I understand.

To reply to the first part .... :) sometimes its good to be BAD Hehehehe but yoru right it would not be nice to others so I shall not attempt to "hammering the servers" but I ll think about it sometimes :)

Thank you agian Colen and the rest of the wolf pack for all the hard work you guys do.