PDA

View Full Version : 4e problems I had

piccolohl
February 28th, 2009, 12:33 PM
I'm new to hero lab so tell me if these are 4e problems or things i couldn't figure out how to do:
Humans couldn't pick their bonus at will power or feat
Linguist didn't give the bonus language options
Skill focus and skill training didn't allow you to pick which skill they affected
In the armory it would never show a weapon as being proficient

I was really liking the program till I ran into those, which makes it fairly unusable unless you're doing something real specific.

rob
March 7th, 2009, 01:27 AM
Humans couldn't pick their bonus at will power or feat

I see it right there on the Race tab. It's under "Race Features". There is a chooser labeled "Bonus At-Will Power". Or am I misunderstanding the problem?

Linguist didn't give the bonus language options

This looks like a valid issue that we'll need to get fixed.

Skill focus and skill training didn't allow you to pick which skill they affected

When you add either of these feats, a menu appears next to the feat name. Within the menu, you can select the skill that applies for the feat. For skill focus, nothing will appear in the list until you pick a class, since the feat only applies to trained skills and no skills are trained until you pick a class.

In the armory it would never show a weapon as being proficient

You aren't proficient with any weapons until you pick a class. Once you pick a class, your basic proficiencies are established and the corresponding weapons show as proficient within the Armory.

piccolohl
March 8th, 2009, 08:25 AM
There is no chooser in the race tab, it simply has the text "Bonus at will power" with an info button next to it, no way to choose what the power is. Same for the skill feats, I had already chosen a class, there was just no option to pick which skill I wanted it to benefit. Only "delete this feat" and the ? button again.
Also for the proficiencies I had chosen a class, it still shows every weapon as being non proficient.

New (minor) problem, when you update your CON stat at a later level, it is not supposed to increase your hp retroactively in 4th.

rob
March 8th, 2009, 01:32 PM
There is no chooser in the race tab, it simply has the text "Bonus at will power" with an info button next to it, no way to choose what the power is.

When you select "Human" as the race, there are no powers or trained skills defined. As soon as you then select a class, the powers are known for the class. At that point, a new "Bonus At-Will Power" entry appears at the bottom of the "Race Features" section. Next to it is a chooser that you can click on to pick the appropriate power.

Same for the skill feats, I had already chosen a class, there was just no option to pick which skill I wanted it to benefit. Only "delete this feat" and the ? button again.

Huh. I create a brand new character and do *not* select a class or race. I go to the Feats tab and pick the two skill feats (focus and training). Both show a menu next to them, with the focus menu empty and the training menu containing all the standard skills. Once I select a class, the focus menu has appropriate choices for trained skills.

Are you using the latest 4e data files? If not, it's possible that's the source of the problem, but I'm pretty sure this wasn't an issue that Colen fixed. Is anyone else seeing the same behavior as piccolohl??

Also for the proficiencies I had chosen a class, it still shows every weapon as being non proficient.

This makes no sense to me. If you are running the same 4e data files that I am, it should all be working the same (i.e. the proficiencies being correct once a class is chosen). All I can guess is that you are using an older version of the data files. If not, then Colen is the 4e expert and will need to jump in here.

New (minor) problem, when you update your CON stat at a later level, it is not supposed to increase your hp retroactively in 4th.

Colen will need to look into this one. I'll let him know.

Colen
March 9th, 2009, 12:50 PM
Are you using a D&DI subscription? If you're not using a D&DI subscription to get the data, there's a lot of stuff the downloader doesn't know about, which may be causing the issues. I'll investigate what I can do to make it smarter for the next release.

I think it actually does - Player's Handbook p27, under the title "4. Hit Points" - "If you increased your constitution score, increase your hit points by 1 (as if you had your new Constitution score when you were 1st level)."

darnold992000
March 21st, 2009, 10:04 AM
You aren't proficient with any weapons until you pick a class. Once you pick a class, your basic proficiencies are established and the corresponding weapons show as proficient within the Armory.

for what it's worth, i'm experiencing the exact same problem with weapon proficiencies: regardless of chosen class, the only weapon that isn't grayed out in the Armory is the 'Magic Weapon' option. hero lab reports my 4e files are up-to-date, and i used the ddidownloader program (with the 'no subscription' option) to obtain the data about an hour ago.

darnold992000
March 21st, 2009, 10:23 AM
i just fired up the Editor, created a new datafile, and made a copy of the Warrior class. the Weapon Proficiences category shows no tags under it, and clicking the 'Edit...' button confirms that that's the case. hope this helps.

i also see that although Military and Simple groups are included in the Ranged and Melee Categories, neither one has any weapons assigned to it.