PDA

View Full Version : Combining dat files

chiefweasel
February 11th, 2009, 09:13 PM
Hey all, I am looking to see if there is a way to combine dat files? This would make it easier for people to work on projects, such as the feats from a book, we could have 3 people work on it, and when each is done combine it into 1 dat file that can be shared out. Is this possible at all?

Mathias
February 11th, 2009, 11:04 PM
Cut-and paste within a text editor.

chiefweasel
February 12th, 2009, 07:00 AM
OK, I opened a .dat file in notepad, but only 2 of the 11 feats I have in the .dat file show up in Notepad. Any idea what this might be?

I tried to recompile the .dat file, and re-tested all 11 of the feats in it, but got the same result when I opened the .dat file in notepad. The 2 feats that are showing are the only ones of the 11 that I am using on a character now, but I wouldn't think that would make a difference.

Mathias
February 12th, 2009, 07:24 AM
If you open that .dat file in the editor, all 11 show up in it? You're sure you don't have a different version of the file floating around somewhere? A backup copy in a different folder?

The editor in HeroLab is just parsing the XML in the .dat file - the feats can't be missing or they wouldn't show up in the editor, either.

heratyk
February 12th, 2009, 06:41 PM
Notepad and some other editors have a limit to how much text they can display, they will just cut off anything in excess of that. Only 2 of 11 feats sounds pretty small to run into that problem, though.

chiefweasel
February 12th, 2009, 09:39 PM
Ya, doesnt sound right to me either. when i tried to open the same file in Word, all it showed were a few tags and no data at all. It seems like the text editor makes a difference to what you see. I'm goign to play with it some and see if I can find an editor that displays them all.

Mathias
February 13th, 2009, 08:17 AM
I just tried opening a large file (srd_feats.dat) in notepad - it shows everything correctly.

Like I said, use HL's editor to check the file you're wondering about - you have some of the feats in other files.

Word is probably interpreting the XML tags through its HTML functions, and doing a terrible job of it.