PDA

View Full Version : Volunteering?

FifthWanderer
April 15th, 2008, 08:23 PM
Would it be possible for users to volunteer to test or help build a particular dataset? I just picked up the Shadowrun4th book, and I wouldn't mind helping out.

rob
April 20th, 2008, 04:25 AM
At 09:23 PM 4/15/2008, you wrote:
Would it be possible for users to volunteer to test or help build a particular dataset? I just picked up the Shadowrun4th book, and I wouldn't mind helping out.
Volunteers are greatly appreciated! We've got a few folks helping us out with stuff already, but it's not as easy to coordinate it all as we'd like. Once we've got the Authoring Kit ready to put into people's hands, it will become much easier. We're going to be entering Beta testing of the Kit reasonably soon now. When that happens, we'll be looking for folks to help beat up on the Kit, so stay tuned....

FifthWanderer
April 20th, 2008, 04:48 AM
Consider me your first vic-err, tester.

krathen
April 21st, 2008, 01:11 PM
Oh Me, me too, I'm great at breaking things.

dartnet
April 21st, 2008, 01:32 PM
Me too me too.

dchoey
April 21st, 2008, 05:56 PM
I am happy to help with beta testing of the authoring kit.

FifthWanderer
April 23rd, 2008, 07:56 PM
Excellent! My plans of global domination are right on schedule!

rob
April 25th, 2008, 01:12 PM
At 05:48 AM 4/20/2008, you wrote:
Consider me your first vic-err, tester.
I see you've done Beta testing before, eh??? :->

FifthWanderer
April 26th, 2008, 07:02 AM
I've been a beta tester and a play-tester. My biggest problem is forgetting to write down how I get around a problem. Thus the composition notebook right by my computer.

Pollution
April 28th, 2008, 04:48 AM
Rob, I was going to say this in a PM, but might as well say it here.

I'm doing the EVERYTHING NOT IN THERE ALREADY custom data file that you've helped me out on so much already, and I was going to go ahead and send it to you next month when it's done anyway. I'm NOT going to include text descriptions beyond what I personally need for everything, due to copyright issues. i.e. for bloodlines I put Parent Clan: X Weakness: Y Disciplines: Z and NICKNAME: BOB in there, but not anything else.

SO, when I'm done, I might save you some MASSIVE time, as long as you like my prereqs coding, or the inclusion of Camarilla custom stuff. (i.e. only OD for this bloodline, or only this bloodline for this devotion ect...)

FifthWanderer
April 30th, 2008, 08:44 AM
I'm reading through the current version of the Authoring kit documentation now. Heavy stuff, but I think it'll make more sense on the second or third read through. The biggest problem I'm having is with the terminology.

rob
May 1st, 2008, 12:15 PM
At 05:48 AM 4/28/2008, you wrote:
I'm doing the EVERYTHING NOT IN THERE ALREADY custom data file that you've helped me out on so much already, and I was going to go ahead and send it to you next month when it's done anyway. I'm NOT going to include text descriptions beyond what I personally need for everything, due to copyright issues. i.e. for bloodlines I put Parent Clan: X Weakness: Y Disciplines: Z and NICKNAME: BOB in there, but not anything else.

SO, when I'm done, I might save you some MASSIVE time, as long as you like my prereqs coding, or the inclusion of Camarilla custom stuff. (i.e. only OD for this bloodline, or only this bloodline for this devotion ect...)
This would be awesome! It would definitely save significant amounts of time! I look forward to seeing the finished product.

rob
May 1st, 2008, 12:34 PM
At 09:44 AM 4/30/2008, you wrote:
I'm reading through the current version of the Authoring kit documentation now. Heavy stuff, but I think it'll make more sense on the second or third read through. The biggest problem I'm having is with the terminology.
A fair chunk of that stuff will be revised and/or replaced with the official release of the full Kit. So definitely familiarize yourself with a lot of the general concepts, but don't spend lots of time on it yet. We've made extensive refinements and revisions to how everything works over the past many months. The net result is much simpler and faster to use. I also think it's much more intuitive now. The concepts are all the same, but the mechanics have changed a fair bit.

We've held off on the major Kit release so that it would be a very solid tool when users finally got it in their hands. We figured that was preferable to releasing something early but with significant issues.

FifthWanderer
May 1st, 2008, 07:53 PM
I would rather you take the extra time than you rush and put out garbage.

FifthWanderer
May 6th, 2008, 07:54 AM
So the current timeline is Mutants & Masterminds sometime soon, then the Authoring Kit after that. Any ETA?

My biggest problem I'm having is I can't make up my mind what game I want to work on after SotC. Either WFRP or SR4.

rob
May 8th, 2008, 02:45 AM
At 08:54 AM 5/6/2008, you wrote:
So the current timeline is Mutants & Masterminds sometime soon, then the Authoring Kit after that. Any ETA?
The plan is release a public preview of M&M before the end of the month and the Kit goes into Beta by the end of the month.

My biggest problem I'm having is I can't make up my mind what game I want to work on after SotC. Either WFRP or SR4.
At this point, it's looking very likely that we'll be doing SR4 files ourselves under license from Catalyst. So WFRP might be a better option to focus on after SotC.