PDA

View Full Version : Font size

Papa-DRB
August 11th, 2007, 02:24 PM
How do I increase the font size on all the panels?

What ever it is now (8 point?) is too small for my tired old eyes. I normally set most applications to Arial 12 at minimum.

-- david
Papa-DRB

rob
August 12th, 2007, 01:27 AM
At 03:24 PM 8/11/2007, you wrote:
How do I increase the font size on all the panels?

What ever it is now (8 point?) is too small for my tired old eyes. I normally set most applications to Arial 12 at minimum.
I believe the fonts used within HL are typically 10-point and 9.5-point. Small labels in a few places are down in the range of 8-point, but those aren't very common. So the font sizes aren't quite as bad as they may seem to you, but that doesn't diminish the fact that they are still much smaller than you'd like them to be.

Unfortunately, there is currently no way to change the font sizes within HL. It's one of the things on our todo list, but you're the first person to ask about it, so other features have been a higher priority thus far.

If you generally like everything to be a bit larger, I'm sure Hero Lab isn't the only application you use that lacks font size adjustment. So there's another trick you can use. In fact, my eyes are similarly old and tired (16-hour days staring a screen will do that afer a few decades), and I've used this technique at times in the past myself, because not all the development tools I work with are configurable either.

Go to the Start menu, then select Settings, then Control Panel, and then Display. On the Display Properties panel, click on the Settings tab. Then click on the Advanced button. Now go to the General tab. There will be a section entitled DPI Setting, with a default of 96 DPI. Select a size that is larger by about 10-20%, then save your changes. This should cause the fonts in most programs to be increased in size by that 10-20% scaling factor.

Hope this proves helpful!

Papa-DRB
August 12th, 2007, 05:55 AM
I know about that setting, but this really is the only application on my personal laptop that has the problem. I have setup Thunderbird, Firefox and the few other things that I use to have the larger font.

This is my personal laptop, and normally if I can't control the font, I just do without or find something else. Now, if it was my work laptop, I would invoke ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) since the company is supposed to make reasonable concessions to people and font control is consider reasonable (heh - The Helpless Desk hates when I say those three little letters!)

Perhaps it is the white on blue that is causing me to think it is smaller. I'll deal with it for now whilst I check out the software.