PDA

View Full Version : Race that adds a class skill

Armature
June 2nd, 2007, 07:13 AM
Hello!

Perhaps someone out there can help me with create a race that adds the Speak Language skill as a class skill to whatever class the character takes?

rob
June 3rd, 2007, 11:34 AM
At 08:13 AM 6/2/2007, you wrote:
Perhaps someone out there can help me with create a race that adds the Speak Language skill as a class skill to whatever class the character takes?
Colen may have be a better solution, but here's one approach that should work...

The first thing you need to accomplish is to inform a given class that the "Speak Language" skill is a class skill. If you take a look at the "Expert" NPC class, which dynamically designates class skills, you'll see an example how this can be done. It simply requires assigning the appropriate "ClassSkill" tag for the skill to the class helper pick.

The second thing you need to accomplish is to perform this for all the different classes selected for the character. This requires you use the "foreach" mechanism to identify all class helper picks and operate on them. You can identify a class helper pick by the presence of the "component.ClassHelp" tag, since class helpers are always based on that component.

Putting it all together, you would end up with a script that uses "foreach" to iterate through all the class helper picks, and you'd assign the appropriate tag for each one. The script would be defined for your new race, and it would look something like the following:

var result as number
foreach pick in hero where "component.ClassHelp"
*** result = each.tagassign[ClassSkill.kSpeakLang]
*** next

The last thing you'd need to do is make sure that the timing of your script is correct. You have to schedule it to be processed BEFORE the class skills are processed. Looking at the "Expert" class, a timing of "PreLevel/500" should work nicely.

I haven't actually implemented this, so it's possible that I've overlooked something here. But I'm pretty sure this ought to give you what you need. If not, let us know and we'll do our best to help out. It's also possible that Colen will step in with an even easier solution.

Hope this helps,
Rob

Colen
June 6th, 2007, 09:25 AM
Armature wrote:
>
>
> Hello!
>
> Perhaps someone out there can help me with create a race that adds the
> Speak Language skill as a class skill to whatever class the character takes?

Do you want to make Speak Language a class skill for all classes the
character takes? If so, you should just be able to add the tag
"ClassSkill.kSpeakLang" to the hero, and every class gets it as a class
skill.

Armature
June 6th, 2007, 01:35 PM
Yes, thanks for the help, I'm intending it to add Speak Language as a class skill for all classes, so if a character of this particular race takes 3 different classes, all of them would have Speak Language available in-class.