PDA

View Full Version : Hint of what is to come?

Sigil
March 14th, 2007, 08:54 PM
I know nothing is guaranteed, written in stone, and such. So with that firmily in mind can you give us any of idea what is coming in HL labs future? Curious gamers want to know :wink: ! The one particular feature I am curious about is item creation, so I can enter all my items from my campaign?

Really like what has been done with HL so far, keep up the good work!!!

/Scott

rob
March 15th, 2007, 12:14 AM
At 09:54 PM 3/14/2007, you wrote:
I know nothing is guaranteed, written in stone, and such. So with that firmily in mind can you give us any of idea what is coming in HL labs future? Curious gamers want to know ./modules/mdforum/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif ! The one particular feature I am curious about is item creation, so I can enter all my items from my campaign?
OK. With the understanding that NONE of the following is guaranteed, here's the list of stuff we are striving to have in a release by Saturday:

1. Rest of monstrous races
2. Rest of templates
3. Lots of stuff that currently isn't yet editable will be editable via the integrated Editor
4. Ability to "stack" similar items, so items can be merged together into a single total or split into separate quantities
5. Support for the <tab> key to move between user-editable fields within the UI via the keyboard
6. Support for multiple, user-selectable dossiers within the UI
7. Inclusion of additional dossiers, such as a detailed spell summary list

Other items that have been asked about and that are working their way towards the top of the priority list - and that will likely be added in the relatively near future - include the following:

1. Make sure that virtually every type of "thing" is fully editable via the integrated Editor.
2. Sorting and filtering of selection lists (e.g. list all the evocation spells)
3. Sorting of chosen lists (e.g. sort all gear by whatever criteria is appropriate to a given purpose)
4. Text output to support things like "stat blocks"
5. Lots more documentation on how to create data files
6. Another iterative evolution of the Editor to simplify and streamline editing even moreso
7. Psionics
8. Epic support
9. d20 Modern (as per the SRD)
10. Getting new game systems developed and released
11. A *long* list of lots of little improvements in lots of different areas

As I've said before, new features may jump ahead of the above items if we deem it appropriate. Similarly, some of the above items could be downgraded if we discover that they are not as critical to users as we previously though, or if we discover the implementing them will take substantially longer than we originally anticipated. So the list is fluid and is no more than a "best guess" as of this moment. The one thing I can unequivocably state, though, is that Hero Lab will continue to evolve at a fast pace for at least a few more months (i.e. when we get the most important stuff completely added).

Hope this helps,
Rob

Giddoen
March 15th, 2007, 01:06 PM
ummmm.....AWESOME!!!! I cant wait to see other data sets so I can start using this great tool!

Giddoen

Sigil
March 15th, 2007, 05:21 PM
Just what I wanted to see!! Things to look forward to.

Thank you,

Scott

MPHopcroft
March 17th, 2007, 04:59 PM
The d20 Modern SRD material will be very helpful when it comes out. May I ask whether it will be in a separate data file for when the program opens; Modern characters and d20 Fantasy characters aren't always all that compatible owing to the fundamentally different (and, IMHO, more sensible) class structure in d20 Modern.

Although you can, ironically enough, simulate many of the D&D archetypes with d20 Modern (I've seen at least one third-party PDF project with precisely that aim).

rob
March 17th, 2007, 11:21 PM
At 05:59 PM 3/17/2007, you wrote:
The d20 Modern SRD material will be very helpful when it comes out. May I ask whether it will be in a separate data file for when the program opens; Modern characters and d20 Fantasy characters aren't always all that compatible owing to the fundamentally different (and, IMHO, more sensible) class structure in d20 Modern.
Colen and I have no specifically discussed this detail yet, so my answer should not be taken as an absolute guarantee. However, based on previous discussions we've had, it is highly likely that the d20 Modern material will be packaged as a completely separate game system. Doing so will keep things much simpler in many ways.

-Rob