PDA

View Full Version : Can it do this with the full version?

DM_Rocco
February 5th, 2007, 08:18 PM
I am wondering if you can make your own classes with the full version and how hard is it to make?

Also, I want some custom stuff, like a defensive bonus for each class per level, the ability to adjust the hit points received per level and change things like how sneak attack works. Can it do something like this?

How does this program compare with others on the market like DM Genie?

DannyBoy2k
February 6th, 2007, 04:03 AM
Well, I made my own Swashbuckler, picking it off from the Complete Warrior book. And it isn't THAT hard. The only problem I've had so far is 'linking' abilities into it, as noted elsewhere. As for the hit points, that depends on how you mean. You get to write in what you rolled on each level. You don't get to change how much you CAN roll, though.

DM_Rocco
February 6th, 2007, 10:13 AM
Well, I made my own Swashbuckler, picking it off from the Complete Warrior book. And it isn't THAT hard. The only problem I've had so far is 'linking' abilities into it, as noted elsewhere. As for the hit points, that depends on how you mean. You get to write in what you rolled on each level. You don't get to change how much you CAN roll, though.

Well, here is what I am looking for. The rules themselves are to much to try and explain in full, so attached is a pdf with them. They are for a D&D varient called Grim-&-Gritty. If the full version of the program can make this, then it can make anything, so far as I am concerned.

Take a peek at it, you will notice the Hit Point section. It is not based on any CON bonus or random hit points per level, you either get 1 hit point or you don't, based on class.

Also notice the Defense section, there is a random 1d20 die roll that is added to your AC along with a bonus per level.

I want something that could customize such rules.

Also, has anyone compared this to DM Genie? I really like that program, but there are some things missing, so that is why I am always looking out for other types of character creation programs. I don't mean to pimp other products on this site, but I would like to see how they stack up side-by-side.

One thing I like about GM Genie is that making a class or feat or new skill is relatively easy and you can run combat from it and keep track of penalties and such. Does this have anything like that? I looked around a bit, but I admit I didn't have time to do a lot.

DannyBoy2k
February 7th, 2007, 06:14 AM
Most likely, it can, yes. :) Don't see anything that I reacted to as, No way! Of course, I would presume you'd have to remake the files, but them's the breaks. Oh, and please note that I am NOT in any way form or fashion involved in the making of HL, or Wolflair. So, take my statements with the prerequisite LARGE amount of salt, ok? :) But I didn't see anything too outrageous.

rob
February 9th, 2007, 09:06 PM
At 11:13 AM 2/6/2007, you wrote:
Well, here is what I am looking for. The rules themselves are to much to try and explain in full, so attached is a pdf with them. They are for a D&D varient called Grim-&-Gritty. If the full version of the program can make this, then it can make anything, so far as I am concerned.
Attachments are not supported on forum posts, so your PDF did not appear. As a result, all of my answers below are based on the limited information that you provide. If you elaborate on the details, Colen and I will be happy to give you more definitive answers.

Take a peek at it, you will notice the Hit Point section. It is not based on any CON bonus or random hit points per level, you either get 1 hit point or you don't, based on class.
I'm not certain whether the HP bonus within the d20 data files is automatically added down in scripts users can't access - Colen is the expert on that. If it's user-accessible, then you can simply disable it. However, the CON bonus is also tracked separately. So, even if the adjustment is not user-accessible, it would require the creation of a single script consisting of a few lines of code to "reverse out" that adjustment. Just a few minutes work.

The number of hit points assigned per level should be able to made an automatic behavior. I'll have to get Colen to verify this.

Also notice the Defense section, there is a random 1d20 die roll that is added to your AC along with a bonus per level.
So is like an additional type of Save or something? This is too unclear for me to answer properly. Please clarify.

I want something that could customize such rules.

Also, has anyone compared this to DM Genie? I really like that program, but there are some things missing, so that is why I am always looking out for other types of character creation programs. I don't mean to pimp other products on this site, but I would like to see how they stack up side-by-side.

One thing I like about GM Genie is that making a class or feat or new skill is relatively easy and you can run combat from it and keep track of penalties and such. Does this have anything like that? I looked around a bit, but I admit I didn't have time to do a lot.
Hero Lab does not currently have combat tracking and the like (e.g. initiative, held actions, etc.). We have a GM tool planned for later this year that will incorporate stuff like that. However, HL definitely has the ability to track virtually any temporary bonus/penalty you can think of. Take a look at the In Play tab.

For better information on what HL can/can't do as a general tool, I recommend spending a few minutes to do through the tutorial/walkthru that highlights all the key capabilities of the product. For answers about authoring capabilities, please provide us with the specifics you are looking for and we'll do our best to give you a definitive yes/no answer.

-Rob