PDA

View Full Version : What games should Hero Lab support?

Colen
August 12th, 2006, 07:37 PM
Hi,

Hero Lab will be launching with support for the 3.5 SRD, under either the Open Gaming License or the D20 license (to be determined). Once that's out, what games would you like to see next?

Vote here! If you don't see the game you want listed, make a post about it below.

Thanks!

August 18th, 2006, 04:39 AM
Well I vote for Mutants and Masterminds...how do I get it to register in the poll?

HakujinGrande
August 18th, 2006, 01:52 PM
There's also d20 Modern / MSRD

jlong05
August 18th, 2006, 02:15 PM
There's also d20 Modern / MSRD
Hakujin

Doesnt that use the d20 Standard system that Wizards uses? If so it woudl be included anyway.

HakujinGrande
August 18th, 2006, 02:40 PM
No, the MSRD is slighly different, therefore it is known as the Modern SRD (MSRD). Mostly has to do with the Wealth DC purchasing system and an action point system. All in all, shouldn't require too much extra to support, as it does share quite a bit with the SRD.

Russell
August 19th, 2006, 03:21 PM
Well I vote for Mutants and Masterminds...how do I get it to register in the poll?
You posted as "Guest" - you probably have to be signed in as a registered forum user to vote in the polls.

Russell.

Colen
August 21st, 2006, 10:58 AM
Yes, you need to be signed in to vote in polls. (I also forgot to disable guest posting - you should have to register to post here.)

Garfunkel
August 23rd, 2006, 03:04 AM
Yop,

I voted Warhammer.
I would like to know if there wille be an authoring tool kit as Army Builder one to developp for others games ?
I think I will be interested to developp Cadwallon (Rackham RPG) files if it is possible.

Thx

Garfunkel

rob
August 25th, 2006, 12:25 AM
I just addressed the general issue of tools for creating custom data file sets from scratch in an alternate thread. With regards to Cadwallon, Gregoire from Rackham gave me a copy at GenCon and they are extremely eager to see Cadwallon supported within Hero Lab. If you'll be participating in the development of the data files that we'll be doing under license with Rackham, we should be able to get you authoring details. However, please be warned that there will be a substantial learning curve - even though you are already an expert with AB data files. :-)

-Rob

At 04:04 AM 8/23/2006, you wrote:

Yop,

I voted Warhammer.
I would like to know if there wille be an authoring tool kit as Army Builder one to developp for others games ?
I think I will be interested to developp Cadwallon (Rackham RPG) files if it is possible.

Thx

Garfunkel

Mathias
August 25th, 2006, 04:34 PM
If you can get White Wolf on board, I've worked on data files for metacreator for Exalted, WoD (the current edition), Aberrant, and Secret of Zir'An. I also have AB2 experience. I've found I enjoy setting up the files.

Mathias Gehl
mgehl@cox.net

Mathias
August 25th, 2006, 04:38 PM
And in terms of other game systems to consider supporting - please talk to Malhavoc Press about adding Iron Heroes and Arcana Evolved.

FifthWanderer
September 14th, 2006, 09:03 AM
Well, I'm torn between Mutants & Masterminds, Warhammer, and World of Darkness, so I voted for MnM. Sue me.

Kagemaru
November 10th, 2006, 07:51 AM
Spycraft could need it! That's why it got my voice. ^_^

lordmhor
December 6th, 2006, 10:35 AM
I'm really happy that you've reached an agreement with Mongoose to support the latest incarnation of Runequest. That system deserves new attention; they've really brought it forward from the original editions.

I'll cheerfully spread the word and help in any possible way!

halfhand
December 14th, 2006, 01:49 PM
I might be posting a little late, but I would love to see Rifts supported. Hopefully the (fairly) recent financial troubles Palladium has had will make talks easier.

Andrew_C
December 22nd, 2006, 02:54 AM
I'd like to see GURPS covered - as this can then be used for many different settings. GURPS Transhuman Psace and GURPS Uplift are my first choices.
I'd also be interested in seeing Blue Planet support.

Giddoen
December 24th, 2006, 09:08 PM
I would love to see HARP (High Adventure Role Playing) by ICE and SLA Industries to be honest!

Giddoen

Giddoen
December 29th, 2006, 10:16 AM
Well I voted for Warhammer and would love to see support for Palladiums Heroes Unlimited and Rifts.

Giddoen

Zennister
December 31st, 2006, 07:56 AM
I'd vote for Iron Kingdoms, personally. :)

Giddoen
January 2nd, 2007, 12:06 PM
What about Legends of the Five rings 2nd Edition I would guess that AEG would only officially support 3rd (crap IMHO) ed. But one can hope!

Giddoen

rob
January 3rd, 2007, 12:34 AM
AEG has told us that they are definitely interested in discussing support for L5R. I'm assuming they have 3rd Edition in mind. At the moment, we are mapping out our strategy for supporting quite a few games in 2007. We also have to juggle what we WANT to do against what we CAN do - in other words, our staff resources and our commitments to our other products (e.g. a V3.2 update for Army Builder is slated for Q2). So we'll have to be sure not to over-extend ourselves, which means some games won't be supported as quickly as everyone would like.

We're seriously considering hiring additional staff to help us with data file development, so that could accelerate things IF we find the right person (or persons) to help out. If we decide to go that route, we'll post more details in the upcoming weeks.

Thanks, Rob

At 01:06 PM 1/2/2007, you wrote:

What about Legends of the Five rings 2nd Edition I would guess that AEG would only officially support 3rd (crap IMHO) ed. But one can hope!

Giddoen

entity
January 6th, 2007, 07:13 AM
Am I the only person left who still plays Ars Magica?

dartnet
January 6th, 2007, 07:47 AM
The ones I would like see:

1. Mutants and Masterminds
2. D20 Modern
3. Shadowrun
5. Abberent
5. Adventure!
6. Rifts
7. World of Darkness
8. GURPS
9. True20
10. Savage Worlds
11. Serenity

Darnet

SWChance
January 6th, 2007, 04:22 PM
I know WOTC stuff will be difficult to do with their upcomming plans but Star Wars D20 (When the new one comes out.)

rob
January 9th, 2007, 02:45 PM
Unfortunately, Star Wars would be nigh infeasible to do. The reason is that we would have to secure the license from Lucas and not from WotC. We inquired about this with WotC last year and they outlined how things would need to work to accomplish such a license. Needless to say, we'd have to put a silly amount of money on the table just to actually speak with Lucas' people about the license. Throw in the fact that this is software - even though it's a play aid for the RPG and not a game - and things would immediately become quite complicated and expensive from a licensing standpoint. :-(

-Rob

At 05:22 PM 1/6/2007, you wrote:

I know WOTC stuff will be difficult to do with their upcomming plans but Star Wars D20 (When the new one comes out.)

Jedi_3385
January 20th, 2007, 10:15 AM
It's a shame that the folks at Lucas Arts are so tied up in the $$$ part of all this and apparently unreasonable in this. Do they even understand what your product does and does not do?

On another note I imagine that having any opportunity to edit new classes and feats is either down the road or soon to be available. I'm running a D&D 3.5 gmae and one of the players has a Warmage. Apparently not listed in availabel choices in your program. Other than that I'm very happy with it.

Oh d20 Modern... support for that under consideration?

Eryx_UK
January 23rd, 2007, 10:44 AM
World of Darkness revised has my vote. I'd like to see Runequest, WFRP and Call of Cthulhu added as well.

rob
January 25th, 2007, 08:41 PM
At 11:15 AM 1/20/2007, you wrote:
It's a shame that the folks at Lucas Arts are so tied up in the $$$ part of all this and apparently unreasonable in this. Do they even understand what your product does and does not do?
When you're talking about Lucas, folks coming to them to license Star Wars material are usually talking about tens of millions of dollars in mass-produced consumers products. So we're not even a fly on the elephant's behind in comparison. So, while it's definitely an unfortunate reality, I'm not sure it's fair to chastise them for handling it the way they do. It's equivalent to a tiny company like us expecting to get Bill Gates' focused attention about a strategic partnership. It simply isn't a big enough blip on the radar to notice.

On another note I imagine that having any opportunity to edit new classes and feats is either down the road or soon to be available. I'm running a D&D 3.5 gmae and one of the players has a Warmage. Apparently not listed in availabel choices in your program. Other than that I'm very happy with it.
Editing classes is mostly in place already, with spellcaster support still missing. Editing of feats is definitely present. I believe that you should be able to add a Warmage in the editable spellcaster release that will hopefully be completed tomorrow night.

Oh d20 Modern... support for that under consideration?
Definitely on the list of things we want to do. We're currently evaluating relative priorities for lots of different stuff.

Thanks, Rob

kaiserjez
January 27th, 2007, 11:49 AM
Any idea on when any support for Warhammer might be available? Lack of support for this is the only reason I've not purchased already :D

rob
January 28th, 2007, 12:28 AM
At 12:49 PM 1/27/2007, you wrote:
Any idea on when any support for Warhammer might be available? Lack of support for this is the only reason I've not purchased already ./modules/mdforum/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif
We've been in discussions with Games Workshop about this for quite some time. They have a lengthy review process for these things. Assuming they give the green light, it will then be many months before we release any data files, because GW will have to review and authorize the data files we actually develop. So you'll need to be patient for WFRP support, but we're working towards that goal.

Thanks, Rob

Chris_NZ
February 10th, 2007, 01:07 PM
If possible I'd also like to see HARP supported.

Cheers
Chris

fallen
February 10th, 2007, 09:56 PM
Have ya'll heard anything from palladium games about supporting Rifts?

RayBurst*
February 11th, 2007, 10:45 PM
I will add my voice to that of Giddoen and Chris_NZ for HARP.

I would love to see HARP (High Adventure Role Playing) by ICE and SLA Industries to be honest!

If possible I'd also like to see HARP supported.

Thanks, RayBurst*

rob
February 12th, 2007, 12:50 AM
At 10:56 PM 2/10/2007, you wrote:
Have ya'll heard anything from palladium games about supporting Rifts?
A cacophony of chirping crickets..... :-(

DannyBoy2k
February 12th, 2007, 05:03 AM
At 12:49 PM 1/27/2007, you wrote:
We've been in discussions with Games Workshop about this for quite some time. They have a lengthy review process for these things. Assuming they give the green light, it will then be many months before we release any data files, because GW will have to review and authorize the data files we actually develop. So you'll need to be patient for WFRP support, but we're working towards that goal.

Thanks, Rob

Oh, yeah. I know GW and they is SLOOOOOOOW at stuff like that. *shakes head* Ah, well, hopefully they'll wake up to the good stuff that is HL. :)

Sagonias
February 12th, 2007, 09:25 AM
What? No HARP? :o I vote for that if that works?

drawback
February 21st, 2007, 01:12 PM
Having Spycraft 2.0 would be great. Really. You'd get my money.

MPHopcroft
February 25th, 2007, 10:02 PM
Here are some I would add to the consideration list if I ha dmy druthers:

1. Big Eyes, Small Mouth 3rd Edition. The formerly-GOO anime-inspired RPG is now owned by white wolf subsidiary Arthaus, so the license shouldn't be that difficult to get9or expensive comparatively speaking).

2. In addition to RuneQuest, Mongoose Publishing has numerous "OGL" titles inspired by the d20 System engine. These include genre games like OGL Ancients and OGL Cybernet and media/literary licenses such as Judge Dredd (based on the legendary british comic), Starship Troopers (based more on Heinlien's novel than on the controversial Paul Verhouven film of it) and Conan (Robert E. Howard's legendary Barbarian and his bloody, fast-paced and complicated world). Mongoose is also the current publisher for Paranoia, the classic dystopian satire about servants of a mad computer whose very existence is punishable by multiple demises on the order of that same mad computer (once it figures that fact out).

3. Exalted, White Wolf's game of extravagant fantasy, bears many resembalcnes in system and character creation to the WoD system so would be a relatively easy adaptation. The game which is now in its second edition, has a sizable cult following, particularly on the Internet.

suomi1
March 4th, 2007, 12:37 PM
How about supporting Burning Wheel?

MPHopcroft
March 15th, 2007, 09:54 AM
A few more ideas:

1. Classic Battletech: the RPG (to go with a Classic Battletech module for Army Builder). It's not a game I personlly play yet, but it looks very interesting.

2. Paranoia (because computer-generated trators is an essential part of the setting anyway....)

3. The West End Games D6 system.

MPHopcroft
April 7th, 2007, 08:55 PM
A few more you might not have been thinking of (which should, at the very least, give the independent tinkerers ideas):

1. Far Future Enterprises is getting ready to release the 5th edition of the pioneering SF RPG Traveller. You ca tell us old-time roleplayers because we had graveyards full of Traveller PCs who died during the process of being rolled up. I think this would be a fun one.

2. If you were to talk with Kenzer & Company, they have the Kingdom of Kalamar setting of d20 setting-specific material that can be used to extend the d20 environment. And they also have Hackmaster, a satirically-presented old-school dungeon-crawling RPG (basically this is the game the Knights of the Dinner Table have been playing all these years) and the new western game Hard Eight.

3. Have you talked with R. Talsorian? Cyberpunk 3rd Edition might be an interesting dataset to do, and so would Mekton Zeta 9especally if you include the mecha-building system).

4. And, to add to the chorus -- d20 Modern.

rob
April 7th, 2007, 10:21 PM
At 09:55 PM 4/7/2007, you wrote:
1. Far Future Enterprises is getting ready to release the 5th edition of the pioneering SF RPG Traveller. You ca tell us old-time roleplayers because we had graveyards full of Traveller PCs who died during the process of being rolled up. I think this would be a fun one.
The game that wouldn't die. :-> I remember Traveller from my early days of gaming - 30 years ago. I'm one of those old-timers myself. :-> Do you know if FFE is going to be attending the GAMA Tradeshow later this month? If so, we can talk to them there.

2. If you were to talk with Kenzer & Company, they have the Kingdom of Kalamar setting of d20 setting-specific material that can be used to extend the d20 environment. And they also have Hackmaster, a satirically-presented old-school dungeon-crawling RPG (basically this is the game the Knights of the Dinner Table have been playing all these years) and the new western game Hard Eight.
The Kalamar stuff makes a lot of sense. We'll see about talking to them at the tradeshow later this month. I'm not sure what sort of fit would be appropriate for Hackmaster, since it's one of the few RPGs I've never even looked at. So I'll have to investigate. For Aces & Eights, it's not even out yet, so I don't know anything about the game. We should be able to get a peak at the tradeshow.

3. Have you talked with R. Talsorian? Cyberpunk 3rd Edition might be an interesting dataset to do, and so would Mekton Zeta 9especally if you include the mecha-building system).
Much of our gaming group were huge fans of 2nd Edition Cyberpunk, and we had a 5+ year campaign that we ran. However, the 3rd Edition went in a completely different direction from what we loved about the game, so we haven't pursued it much. It's one of those games that we'll be looking at closely once we get a critical mass of games into place this summer. Mekton is predominantly the same basic system, so it would make sense to do both at the same time.

4. And, to add to the chorus -- d20 Modern.
Yep. That ones definitely of importance to us.

kuni_tetsu
May 1st, 2007, 02:42 PM
Given what is going on at Wizkids/Fanpro with regard to Shadowrun, I know it will take some time, but I would still love to see SR3 and SR4 get a treatment :lol:

rob
May 4th, 2007, 09:39 PM
At 03:42 PM 5/1/2007, you wrote:
Given what is going on at Wizkids/Fanpro with regard to Shadowrun, I know it will take some time, but I would still love to see SR3 and SR4 get a treatment ./modules/mdforum/images/smiles/icon_lol.gif
Everything regarding SR is current in a holding pattern. We have obtained a verbal green light from all the necessary folks, including the folks at WizKids. But formal details can't be dealt with until the dust settles after the current IMR deal. So I doubt we'll have anything released in 2007. :-(

MPHopcroft
May 8th, 2007, 09:07 PM
Scion, the new WW game about Gods and their kids that may or may not be part of the WoD (but, like Exalted, uses similar rules) would certainly be a neat thing to do as part of the WoD package. In fact, I wonder if the license could be extended to the Storyteller system in general, with official support for in-print games and out-of-print titles being user mods.

Were you in touch with Craft Games at all for any word on support for Spycraft 2.0?

rob
May 12th, 2007, 04:12 AM
At 10:07 PM 5/8/2007, you wrote:
Scion, the new WW game about Gods and their kids that may or may not be part of the WoD (but, like Exalted, uses similar rules) would certainly be a neat thing to do as part of the WoD package. In fact, I wonder if the license could be extended to the Storyteller system in general, with official support for in-print games and out-of-print titles being user mods.
We've discussed adding support for games like Exalted and Scion with WW. They have been receptive to the idea thus far, but nothing is for sure. We first need to get the WoD files completed and released, then we can discuss the other systems with them in further detail.

Were you in touch with Craft Games at all for any word on support for Spycraft 2.0?
The folks from Crafty Games definitely want us to support the new Spycraft release. However, they have made substantive changes throughout the system, so the work involved to fully implement Spycraft support is similarly substantial. We need to figure out a solution regarding Spycraft wherein we don't have to do all the work in-house, since we could likely add support for multiple other game systems in the time it would take to fully support Spycraft. The Crafty folks are patiently waiting on us to get back to them about this, but the current thinking is to get the Authoring Kit completed and then enlist outside assistance for Spycraft.

Mark_A_Siefert
June 2nd, 2007, 01:10 PM

1. Seconded, and I'd like to see Hero Lab be able to accommodate Traveller D20 and 2320 AD from QLI which adds a prior history system to the D20 rules.

Also...

2. Savage Words: Featuring all it's various sourcebooks and settings.

3. Silhouette System: Namely Jovian Chronicles, Heavy Gear, and Gear Krieg.

Later,
Mark A. Siefert

faramir1968
June 9th, 2007, 05:01 PM
First, I must say, this is a first-rate product. Simple, easy to use, clean. Very well done, I recommend it to all my friends.

Second, I see comments for D20Modern. Excellent. My personal request would be for T20 Traveller. I know the demand is probably not there, but hey, I figure its not that far from D20Modern so why not ask?

Thanks again for a great product.

MPHopcroft
June 15th, 2007, 11:15 AM
I would like to see some support for some of the other OGL-based games that have their own variant rules. Some examples of these would be Arcana Evolved, Iron Heroes, McWod (the upcoming Monte Cook's World of Darkness from White Wolf), and the various OGL games from Mongoose (like Conan, Starship troopers, WARS, Babylon 5, Steampunk, Horror, Western, etc.).

Perhaps you could persuaude Green Ronin to let you do true20/Blue Rose.

The Runequest data package set could easily recieve optional expansions for the Glorantha, Lankhmar and various third-party settings and rulesets.

Although it would be more for database than for doing math and calculations, a Prose Descriptve Qualities dataset would be useful for players of games like Zorceror of Zo, Truth & Justice, and Questers of the Middle Realms.

Finally, I think that you might consider for Gencon 2008 releasing a speicloa 1.5 edition that includes ALL the datasets at a bundle price -- as well as providing a similar bundle price for which existing users can do complete upgrades. It would be an expensive purchase, but very handy for people who play lots of different games.

rob
June 19th, 2007, 03:29 PM
At 12:15 PM 6/15/2007, you wrote:
Perhaps you could persuaude Green Ronin to let you do true20/Blue Rose.
They have already said "yes" to True20. We'll be doing it after we get M&M done.

The Runequest data package set could easily recieve optional expansions for the Glorantha, Lankhmar and various third-party settings and rulesets.
That's definitely the plan.

Finally, I think that you might consider for Gencon 2008 releasing a speicloa 1.5 edition that includes ALL the datasets at a bundle price -- as well as providing a similar bundle price for which existing users can do complete upgrades. It would be an expensive purchase, but very handy for people who play lots of different games.
Interesting idea. We'll put that on the list of things to consider for 2008.

MPHopcroft
July 3rd, 2007, 05:53 PM
Were Chaosium not so bitter about RuneQuest at Mongoose, I would suggest talking with them about their upcoming BRP corebook as well as the current edition of Call of Cthulhu. Unfortunately from that perspective, their desire for the heads of Mongoose Publishing on poles is likely to get in the way of negotiations (they have said they consider MRQ enough like BRP that their copyrights were infringed when Mongoose opened the content without coming to them first).

pazuzu
July 7th, 2007, 08:40 AM
I would really like to see a dataset for Rolemaster. If you are unable to make and sell a version for Rolemaster, is it possible to have an editor that will be relatively easy to use by non-computer programers so that we can make a Rolemaster dataset by ourselves for our own use?

MPHopcroft
July 7th, 2007, 08:58 AM
I would really like to see a dataset for Rolemaster. If you are unable to make and sell a version for Rolemaster, is it possible to have an editor that will be relatively easy to use by non-computer programers so that we can make a Rolemaster dataset by ourselves for our own use?

Perhaps at the same time one could work on HARP (high Adventure Role-Playing), ICE's "Rolematser lite" game which is somewhat more rational in terms of character creation.

The big problem with Rolemaster isthat it's BIG; it has many, many books released for even the current edtion. And the 2nd edition and standard Set? Oy, that's a lot of material even there (most of which si compatible enough with the current edition to fit in easily).

In addition, we have the current iteration of SpaceMaster, which poses its own unique problems.

Culhwch
July 7th, 2007, 09:20 AM
I know the Hero System has (had?) their own character creation software, but I'd like to see a data set for that system.

MPHopcroft
July 7th, 2007, 09:29 AM
I know the Hero System has (had?) their own character creation software, but I'd like to see a data set for that system.

Has. Hero Designer is in its third edition, has a thriving community and a beautiful leve of support from Hero Games, and is going very, very strong. Expansions to HD seem to be one of the more significant products sold at hero's online store.

rob
July 7th, 2007, 06:41 PM
> I would really like to see a dataset for Rolemaster. If you are unable to
> make and sell a version for Rolemaster, is it possible to have an editor
> that will be relatively easy to use by non-computer programers so that we
> can make a Rolemaster dataset by ourselves for our own use?

We'll be releasing an editor to allow custom dataset creation for game
systems by users at some point in the future. However, given what I've
seen of Rolemaster, creating data files for Rolemaster will NOT be easy.
That game is incredibly complex, which is why the data files will be
similarly complex.

If there is enough demand to justify the work to do Rolemaster data files,
we'll probably work out a license and add them at some point. At the
moment, we're focusing our efforts on some of the most popular RPGs, but
your vote for Rolemaster has definitely been noted.

MPHopcroft
July 8th, 2007, 03:00 PM
I'm afraid I'm sort of out of the loop on what's popular. It's so bad that I don't even know if anything significant came out at Origins this weekend, nor am I at all clear on what's due out at GenCon this year.

Except, sadly, what isn't -- me. I can't go. :(

halfhand
July 13th, 2007, 11:19 AM
a rolemaster dataset would be nice, because the only reason i don't play it anymore is because i'm too lazy to do all the math :p

dartnet
July 25th, 2007, 07:51 PM
Any chance that you will support the Hollow Earth Expedition RPG?

FifthWanderer
August 2nd, 2007, 01:24 AM
Spirit of the Century, please. That and M&M are the two games 'on my plate' right now.

rob
August 10th, 2007, 04:43 PM
Instead of addressing questions about multiple individual RPG systems, I'll outline our overall philosophy/strategy. This should provide guidance regarding most titles you can think of, although there will almost certainly be an exception or two that arise along the way (there always are). :-)

1. Our initial focus is on the larger RPG systems (e.g. World of Darkness).
2. Once we've got the majority of those in place, we'll be focusing on the less widely played RPGs that have strong player bases and could benefit greatly from HL.
3. We'll also be working with some of the smaller RPG houses to enable them to develop their own data files for their games - with our direct assistance. Discussions about how that will work have already begun with a few of the smaller houses.
4. We have no plans to do any work ourselves on out-of-print and/or "niche" RPGs. We're simplifying and streamlining all of the tools we use in-house for data file editing based on everything we're learning with the first few licenses. When we finally release the tools for users to create their own complete data files, users will then be able to develop the files themselves for out-of-print and/or "niche" game systems.

Note: Please don't ask for a date on the tools for creating a game system from scratch, since we don't have an answer for that yet. My hope is that we'll be able to provide an answer to this in October, after we've got the WoD and M&M files out (and have completed the learning cycle from those games vis-a-vis the tools).

Hope this helps,
Rob

rob
August 10th, 2007, 05:59 PM
Quick clarification on my previous post....

Please continue voicing your opinions regarding which games you want us to support. That info is VALUABLE to us. In fact, that info will heavily influence the likely exceptions that I referred to in my post.

I outlined our game plan purely so that everyone would be able to reasonably gauge where their favorite games ranked by default. Casting your votes here has the potential to increase those default rankings, so please let us know your wish list! :-)

FifthWanderer
August 22nd, 2007, 07:21 AM
I can understand your decision not to directly support niche or OOP games. You only have so many resources, and you have to allocate them carefully.

Hopefully when the authorship tools are made available, they will be good enough for people to build game files from scratch, not just hack or modify existing files. I'd also like to make a request for clear, thorough documentation with no hidden features the designers are keeping for themselves. *cough* Metacreator *cough*

I do have one question: Will there be a way to make data files available through Wolf Lair's site or some other common means? I'm thinking about taking up the challenge for Spirit of the Century, and I'd like to make sure the files are available to others.

MPHopcroft
August 22nd, 2007, 06:01 PM
The Hero Lab amateurs group I've started on Yahoo's server (http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/herolabamateurs/) was designed with exact;ly that purpose in mind.

I have my own list of "niche" titles that I'd like to develop or see developed, so that's nothing new on my end.

rob
August 23rd, 2007, 11:02 PM
At 08:21 AM 8/22/2007, you wrote:
Hopefully when the authorship tools are made available, they will be good enough for people to build game files from scratch, not just hack or modify existing files. I'd also like to make a request for clear, thorough documentation with no hidden features the designers are keeping for themselves. *cough* Metacreator *cough*
This is the plan. The Authoring Kit documentation for our Army Builder product is over 350 pages in size, with at least 50% of that being "how to" and/or "tips and tricks" material. Writing all of the documentation is extremely time-consuming, so it probably won't start out quite so extensive, but the goal is fully detailed docs.

There will be a couple of features that aren't documented, but they will have ZERO impact on users writing data files. The features not documented will be those specifically tied to the handling of licensing vis-a-vis data files. Since user-created data files won't be governed by special licenses with publishers, that information won't be needed. All other material will be made public. It's possible a few things will not make it into the initial release due to time constraints for writing the documentation, so I'll put out that disclaimer now, but that will be a time issue and not a philosophical one. :-)

I do have one question: Will there be a way to make data files available through Wolf Lair's site or some other common means? I'm thinking about taking up the challenge for Spirit of the Century, and I'd like to make sure the files are available to others.
I expect there to be such a mechanism, but it could be problematic if a publisher complains. So this topic needs to be investigated a bit before I can say an absolute "yes". As an example, the site "datafilesrus.com" provides a clearing house for numerous data files for our Army Builder and Card Vault products. I would be surprised if an equivalent site isn't created for HL data files. It's also possible that we can provide a "yellow pages" lookup for user-created data files that is built into HL, much like we do for AB and CV. But that's not a definite until we can verify a few things on the legal front, which can be done in the next few months.

Tashtego
August 24th, 2007, 03:39 AM
I'd be interested in support for Troll Lord Game's Castles & Crusades. It's a sort of streamlined d20 variant.

Magickman
August 28th, 2007, 11:44 AM
My no listed vote would be for:

D20 Modern
D20 Future

And in a perfect world, Star Wars D20 (Revised and Saga)

As far as what is on the list, I guess WoD would be my vote.

bertg
August 28th, 2007, 01:35 PM
I'd love to see one for AEG's 7th Sea, but I don't even know if that game is still being published...

segnett
September 18th, 2007, 05:38 PM
Definetely the Cortex system (serenity/battlestar galactica).

Its a great system with a lot of community support.

MPHopcroft
September 22nd, 2007, 08:11 PM
Mongoose's plans to release an Open License version of the Traveller ruleset may well figure into future plans, depending on its success.

MPHopcroft
October 9th, 2007, 08:51 PM
When we get our hands on the full Dveeloper's Kit, I'm hoping there will be a flurry of activity from designers adding the n iche systems Lone wolf can't cover. As it is, I think some of the d20 variants would be interesting starting points for the new developers. Things like Arcana evolved, iron Heroes or Conan OGL might be good starting projects.

FifthWanderer
October 21st, 2007, 01:08 PM
Spirit of the Century can count on getting my effort.

hairygumby
December 4th, 2007, 09:14 AM
I would like to see the One Roll Engine games (Nemesis, Godlike, Wild Talents, Reign) for Hero Lab. In fact, I'll probably take a crack at doing the Wild Talents one myself when the information for creating datasets from scratch becomes available.

MPHopcroft
December 9th, 2007, 06:20 PM
WEG's D6 system is going to be opened up and have an SRD released for it. If third party publishers start releasing D6 material, that would be a nice addition to HL's capabilities.

Cybergan
December 18th, 2007, 07:46 PM
I vote for Rifts. It's the only game I play :-P Of course though, they're still rebuilding somewhat in the wake of their financial difficulties, but if you go look at their latest press release, they just got permission to re-start the old Robotech RPG.

FifthWanderer
December 19th, 2007, 08:19 AM
A Rifts dataset would be a prescription for insanity.

I would like to see the authoring tools after the Mutants & Masterminds dataset.

rob
December 19th, 2007, 05:52 PM
At 09:19 AM 12/19/2007, you wrote:
A Rifts dataset would be a prescription for insanity.
That may be, but we've been talking with them seriously about a license for developing Rifts data files. :-)

I would like to see the authoring tools after the Mutants & Masterminds dataset.
The authoring kit *IS* the next thing planned for release after CR&D and M&M. If we did Rifts, it wouldn't happen until the latter half of 2008.

DannyBoy2k
December 19th, 2007, 11:27 PM
That may be, but we've been talking with them seriously about a license for developing Rifts data files. :-)

No comment....

dartnet
December 23rd, 2007, 02:48 PM
That may be, but we've been talking with them seriously about a license for developing Rifts data files. Smile

Cool. :shock:

A good generator is just what Rifts needs.

Question is this going to be only for Rifts or is there the possibility that some of Palladium's other titles?

I have been a fan of Heroes Unlimited for a long time.

rob
December 25th, 2007, 03:00 AM
At 03:48 PM 12/23/2007, you wrote:
Quote:
That may be, but we've been talking with them seriously about a license for developing Rifts data files. Smile

Cool. ./modules/mdforum/images/smiles/icon_eek.gif

A good generator is just what Rifts needs.

Question is this going to be only for Rifts or is there the possibility that some of Palladium's other titles?

I have been a fan of Heroes Unlimited for a long time.
Nothing has been nailed down yet, so it's all open for discussion. Regardless of whether we get a license to support everything, we'll still need to start with something specific and then built from there. I'm guessing that we'll start with Rifts, but that's just a guess at this point.

DaggerdaleDM
December 27th, 2007, 07:15 AM
I sould like to see the following data sets:
Star Wars Saga
Thieves' World
Black Company

I assume that the last two are niche products.

MPHopcroft
January 27th, 2008, 02:22 PM
I wonder if True20 (from Green Ronin) is in the works, especially with the system becoming more independent of its d20 roots?

FifthWanderer
January 29th, 2008, 05:15 AM
Mutants & Masterminds is being worked on, and that's very similar to True20.

SAbel
February 2nd, 2008, 09:52 PM
I would like to see L5R, Star wars d20 saga, CoC, Top Secret SI (old Game), Battle lords of the 23rd cent, M&M Serenity d20 modern

MPHopcroft
February 25th, 2008, 06:48 PM
Anything Star Wars would have to pass muster with Lucasfilms on every aspect, particularly financial. Unless the company has a huge amount of money sitting around unused, I doubt the license would be worth the trouble....

I'm still thinking that Mongoose's release of Traveller, once it comes out, would be a good expansion provided the manpower exists to do it properly.

dangregg
April 4th, 2008, 11:00 AM
MERP and Call of Cthulhu

FifthWanderer
April 15th, 2008, 08:21 PM
I just picked up Shadowrun 4th today. I'd very much like to see a data set for it. And WFRP too, but I may start that one myself.

Sketchpad
July 23rd, 2009, 08:07 PM
[Thread Necromancy] I'd really dig a Spycraft 2.0 version and a True20 one ... especially since a chunk of the ones listed have been tackled. A Palladium one might also be cool. [/Thread Necromancy]

jonbartels
July 24th, 2009, 03:50 AM
can i vote twice on the poll? because there are 2 or 3 systems that i like seen supported that i see on the list.

EdtheDM
August 11th, 2009, 04:54 AM
I think datasets and a combat manager and dice roller for Shadowrun would be a great tool and that'd be on my must buy list.

Regards,

Ed

Sketchpad
August 13th, 2009, 06:14 PM
So now that Pathfinder's been released ... what's the next big data set? :)

fenriswolf
August 18th, 2009, 04:18 PM
I would purchase this software in a heartbeat if it supported Shadowrun 4th.

dartnet
August 18th, 2009, 09:04 PM
Can we have this poll redone given the fact that about half of the games are in HL?

texaspoet
August 20th, 2009, 12:01 AM
OMG! ORE! Everything Greg Stolze!
Especially Wild Talents 2 and Reign, although the popularity of Monsters and Other Childish Things would also beckon for rules, but Wild Talents 2, I would buy that package right this moment!

After that, Robin Laws Gumshoe system, especially Kenneth Hite's Trail of Cthulhu setting.

fenriswolf
August 20th, 2009, 05:22 AM
Can we have this poll redone given the fact that about half of the games are in HL?

I second this idea.

Alric
August 22nd, 2009, 09:54 PM
I'd like to see the new Mongoose Traveller.

Colen
August 24th, 2009, 10:29 AM
Closing this thread so we can start a new one with a new poll. Thanks for voting!

Edit: 2 new threads posted! Vote for your favorite games here:

http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=9078
http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=9080