PDA

View Full Version : Is it ready yet?

thaX
May 19th, 2018, 06:30 AM
So, as I look at the inactivity of the forums for HLO, I just wanted an update on things.

Can one use a portrait of a character that is from a paint file like in HLC?

Can one save Portfolios on the computer at home, or on an USB drive like HLC?

Can one print out a character sheet on Mozilla, the standard of browsers?

Can one use or make custom character sheet, like Ancient One's excellent sheet on HLC, with Starfinder yet?

Is there a way to use HLO in an offline mode when internet is not available?

Have there been a way to test this out without paying for it initially? (I have still not been able to log in using my HLC license)

Any information would be appreciated.

Parody
May 19th, 2018, 08:46 AM
No; no; yes, but a basic one; no; no; yes.

Note that (as we've said in other threads (http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?p=265322#post265322)) you don't use your Hero Lab Classic information at all with Hero Lab Online. You need to create a new account or (if you have one) use your Realm Works account info in order to try out the Demo. Make sure any extensions you're using aren't blocking the scripts/sites needed by the site.

daplunk
May 19th, 2018, 06:55 PM
Mozilla the standard browser? Maybe in the 90s.

MNBlockHead
May 19th, 2018, 07:22 PM
Everyone knows Lynx is the standard for Web browsers. If HLO can't be run in a text-only browser it isn't "ready" yet.

Parody
May 19th, 2018, 10:39 PM
Jokes aside, Firefox is one of the browsers the site suggests when you visit with an unsupported browser so HLO should work in it as best it can.

ShadowChemosh
May 19th, 2018, 11:59 PM
Yes. It’s a little more limited than other browsers produce but its not something LW can fix. The issue in the browser itself.

In all other ways Firefox works great for HLO and is my preferred browser with Safari on the iPad.

For a little nicer looking printed sheet I do use Chrome to create a PDF character sheet. Other than that I would advise against using Chrome as its too finicky of a browser and has strange issues in HLO. But its chrome and I never expect much from it anyways.

If I get the chance tomorrow I wil post an example sheet from Firefox.

EightBitz
May 20th, 2018, 10:20 AM
For entertainment purposes only: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vi0tje6xfWs

ShadowChemosh
May 20th, 2018, 10:29 AM
So attached to this post is a printed sheet of a PC in my games. One done in Firefox and one done in Chrome. From what I can see all the information correctly appears on both sheets. The Firefox one I am sort of liking more now that I look again. I like the extra room and simple layout of info.

In a way this means that HLO is currently giving multiple layouts of character sheets allowing people to choose the one they like best. :)

MNBlockHead
May 20th, 2018, 07:28 PM
Hmm...I like the Chrome one better. More compact and the portrait picture placement is where I like it.

thaX
May 21st, 2018, 11:35 PM
Yeah, seems that Mozilla is putting everything in single boxes and stringing them out.

Does it look normal in IE? Edge?

So, why is the other stuff not in or able to be done yet? Is there other things that Classis can do that Online is never gonna be able to? Is there anything Online can do that isn't possible on Classic?

Has there been any word on if PF2 is going to be on Classic or regulated to the HLO instead?

Parody
May 22nd, 2018, 05:28 PM
Yeah, seems that Mozilla is putting everything in single boxes and stringing them out.
LWD chose that as a workaround for not being able to do the "normal" look in Firefox.

Does it look normal in IE? Edge?
Hero Lab Online doesn't work in IE at all. The print page looks like the Chrome one in every supported browser except Firefox-derived ones, I believe.

So, why is the other stuff not in or able to be done yet?
Not enough developer time and/or experience, presumably.

Is there other things that Classis can do that Online is never gonna be able to?
Hard to say "never", but "creating and/or editing characters while not connected to the Internet" and "creating completely new game systems" seem pretty unlikely.

Is there anything Online can do that isn't possible on Classic?
Again, "not possible" is hard to say, but at present Starfinder is only on HLO. HLO also works on other operating systems with current browser support.

Has there been any word on if PF2 is going to be on Classic or regulated to the HLO instead?
I doubt any new systems will be brought to Classic, though no announcements have been made as far as I know. The two most likely places to make those announcements (PaizoCon and Gen Con) are coming soon, so watch for more info.

evdjj3j
May 23rd, 2018, 10:56 AM
Mozilla the standard browser? Maybe in the 90s.

Firefox didn’t exist in the 90’s. I am a Firefox user.

jlong05
May 23rd, 2018, 11:31 AM

Assuming you can trust a wiki. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firefox

Its still somewhat popular, however Chrome, Edge and Safari have likely edged it out since its not default on any machines such as the other 3 are.

evdjj3j
May 23rd, 2018, 12:05 PM
I don’t need to trust Wikipedia, I’ve used it since the beta.

Aaron
May 23rd, 2018, 03:00 PM

Me too! My High school buddies used to tease me because I always just used IE since that was what was installed. Come on, install firefox, all the cool kids are doing it. And like a 90s PSA about the dangers of peer pressure I buckled. Good thing my friends were nerds rather than * insert preferred teenage clique to deride *!

daplunk
May 23rd, 2018, 03:24 PM
It's been a lot longer since the 90s than i remember :'(

thaX
June 2nd, 2018, 01:18 PM
The first thing one should do when getting a new computer is to get a working browser. That means something other than IE or Edge.

So, has anything improved yet? I would try it out but I can't without buying it.

evdjj3j
June 2nd, 2018, 06:01 PM
They have a demo available. http://www.wolflair.com/hlo/

While not the browser I user MS Edge has been shown to extend battery life by quite a bit when used on a laptop. https://www.windowscentral.com/edge-once-again-comes-out-top-microsoft-browser-battery-life-test

Dami
June 3rd, 2018, 03:34 AM
...MS Edge has been shown to extend battery life by quite a bit when used on a laptop. https://www.windowscentral.com/edge-once-again-comes-out-top-microsoft-browser-battery-life-test

Shown by a MS test. From the same article, "It's worth noting that there are some caveats to these tests that will probably make them hard to replicate in real-world use."

Regardless of that, as stated by evdjj3j - you don't need to buy either version of Hero Lab to trial the software. If you want to see what HLO is like for yourself, don't buy/subscribe, try the demo.

thaX
June 3rd, 2018, 08:12 AM
Wish I could try it, but I can't with my current license.

Yeah, the M$ selfies are nice to advertise with, but real use begets frustration and fist waving as Edge and IE are behind on most things as the other browsers standards exceed them.

Ulfberht
June 3rd, 2018, 05:45 PM

Have there been a way to test this out without paying for it initially? (I have still not been able to log in using my HLC license)

Firefox is definitely not the standard. Its a preference to some but definitely not most.

Also you don't log into HLO with your license. This has been stated several times. You need an account. Create one or if you have Realm Works you use that account.

thaX
June 4th, 2018, 11:10 PM
So I have to have a separate account for Online than the one I use to purchase add ons for the classic program?

Why do I have to have two accounts for the same purpose?

Toblakai
June 5th, 2018, 07:26 AM
So I have to have a separate account for Online than the one I use to purchase add ons for the classic program?

An online presence requires some sense of security. Do you really think the license key as a user name and your email address as a password is secure? They have moved into the modern age of security.

thaX
June 6th, 2018, 07:49 AM
The license and Email addy is something they set up, not me. I am simply trying to use it to log on.

So how to I change the user name and PW for Herolab so I can log on? From what I see, I can't.

So a second (Third?) account would be needed to get onto the Online version? How many accounts will I need to use to be able to make a single character and (maybe, if it can be done) print it out to use at the table. Four? Ten? One Hundred?

I will wait for them to fix the problem rather than losing my license.

evdjj3j
June 6th, 2018, 07:54 AM
I have one account that covers HLC and HLO. You seem like you are intentionally being difficult. The process is not hard at all.

Ryan F
June 6th, 2018, 09:42 AM

Hello thaX,

Our products are actually divided between a few different License Credential account styles at the moment while we transition to the more widely used Username/Password style account Administration for our Hero Lab Online & Realm Works products. Credentials used for Hero Lab Classic are not shared between the two platforms.

You'll need to make a new account for the new Hero Lab Online ecosystem, the easiest way to do is so if by following the URL to our account creation webpage and choosing the option arrayed for a Product Demo. (https://herolab.online/create-or-activate)

I apologize for the frustration but with the way our Hero Lab Classic Licensing works, we simply HAD to create a new store and Login/Credential System for our Online products.

We are looking at finding ways of integrating both the Classic and Online Licensing Systems in the future but for now users who own both Hero Lab Classic and HLO must manage the accounts separately.

We do apologize for any frustration.

--
Ryan Furnas
Lone Wolf Development Support - support@wolflair.com
http://www.wolflair.com

thaX
June 9th, 2018, 06:32 AM
How do you save a character? I have been flipping from one part of the thing to another and haven't found a way to save the character at all.

nightpanda2810
June 9th, 2018, 06:34 AM
How do you save a character? I have been flipping from one part of the thing to another and haven't found a way to save the character at all.

Pretty sure it auto-saves.

evdjj3j
June 9th, 2018, 06:44 AM
They auto save.

thaX
June 10th, 2018, 10:22 AM
"Auto Save." Right. Is there a to do on the list to be able to save characters?

Farling
June 10th, 2018, 10:37 AM
"Auto Save." Right. Is there a to do on the list to be able to save characters?

Are you wanting to save it to your local PC?

thaX
June 10th, 2018, 04:20 PM
Yes. Having a back up is always better.

wheredoigo
June 10th, 2018, 04:25 PM
Exporting data is on the roadmap.

Farling
June 11th, 2018, 12:19 AM
I think there is an option to print, so if your device allows it you can print to PDF.

vardeman
June 11th, 2018, 02:04 AM
Printing is NOT the same as saving... To get it back into the system, you have to recreate the character.