PDA

View Full Version : Giving up on Ream Works

ChipmunkPDX
February 12th, 2017, 10:04 AM
Due to my love for Hero Lap, I decided to buy Realm Works because I was going to GM for the first time (Rise of the Runelords). But because of the delay from Real Works...where they kept releasing dates with what seems some confidence only to never follow through, I kept pushing of the start date of our new game. I am glad I held off asking the players to buy a copy, because I am going to jump ship. Its sad that the company of my favorite software has been responsible for such a failure in promises and communication. So, I understand things can get behind, but you shouldn't give dates if you are that far behind schedule. If your customer's can't trust you, how long do you expect to keep them?

Anyone else jump ship, and if so what have you gone to? I just bought Scabard.com to try it out, but open to suggestions. (I know they don't provide a Content market either, but they don't keep promising to give you one... and would rather use something where I know what I am getting instead of a bunch of empty promises.)

B57123m
February 12th, 2017, 10:43 AM
You have made it this far and the Content Market is the closest to being within your grasp, and now you jump ship? Seems kind of brash when in even a month's time you could have what you are looking for. Things take time and delays happen. LWD has been up front with that since they stopped giving specific dates.

You are free to do whatever you please but you will most likely shop around and struggle to find what you are looking for only to realize that Realm Works is out and works just as you want.

kbs666
February 12th, 2017, 12:13 PM
You are going to run a decade old AP that will likely take more than a year but a months delay has put you off RW?

daplunk
February 12th, 2017, 12:23 PM
The Content Market is so close I couldn't imagine jumping ship now. In this situation to get angry would be simply inhumane. They provided a date that they were confident to hit and then the primary developer ended up in hospital with an unexpected issue. He's still in recovery and yet throughout that whole process he was logged on for ridiculous hours coding to ensure he could deliver on the promises as soon as possible.

Sorry mate I will not personally hold that against LWD. It's a small company who could not have possible just powered on without Rob.

If you must go then that is your choice. I have personally tried Scabard.com and it has next to nothing on Realm Works. The only feature superior to RW IMO is the circle relationship view that they have. It works well but only provides a high level summary of the things you click meaning you have to put more work in to read the actual content than the same feature in RW does.

As a BETA tester I have seen the content. I can tell you that it is amazing. I know exactly what we are all about to get and it is going to save some serious time for alot of us. By the time you get your first few sections entered into Scabard we will be downloading it in mere moments.

I've tried all the campaign managers I can find. Realm Works is the most mature product with the most robust list of features.

Good luck out there. Look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Acenoid
February 12th, 2017, 01:01 PM
It seems you have bought Realm Works already right? So just remember to come back when the Content Market is out and then (re)evaluate.

I haven't seen it and for me the content market is not the primary selling point of the product, but since it is a major point for you, there is not much to loose by checking in from time to time.

I also think that LWD is doing well most of the time with the communications and it seems that they are also willing to deviate a little from their plans and listen to the customers. Of course sometimes you still have to pick the "unpopular" choice, due to other reasons.

EightBitz
February 12th, 2017, 03:50 PM
This is the wrong time to give up. Exactly the wrong time. I gave up (temporarily) a long time ago, and just bided my time ... until now. Now we have the import/export ability, and my export script that allows you to export to HTML format or Word format.

You can export only revealed content, and you can export each topic as an individual file. This means that if you have your own website somewhere, or your own wiki, or an obsidian portal account, you can export and publish your revealed content on a website for your players.

It's a couple of extra steps, but it's there. And the content market is coming.

Expectations have not been managed well, I'll grant you that. Heck, even Rob will grant you that. But now ... now is not the time to jump ship. Now is the time to get on board. The import/export feature alone provides a host of possibilities that we didn't have before.

Bidmaron
February 12th, 2017, 03:57 PM
Hey, a lot bigger software companies than LWD have grossly missed release targets before. In fact those that make targets most often just redefine what was supposed to be in the release anyway.

If you insist in leaving, look at the Keep from NBOS software. It is a HUGE step down, though, and there is no content market.

It is kind of difficult to imagine that you are leaving because LWD didn't meet their target dates and are willing to explore alternatives that will likely NEVER have what you are looking for, but, hey, whatever....

EightBitz
February 12th, 2017, 04:40 PM
Hey, a lot bigger software companies than LWD have grossly missed release targets before. In fact those that make targets most often just redefine what was supposed to be in the release anyway.

If you insist in leaving, look at the Keep from NBOS software. It is a HUGE step down, though, and there is no content market.

It is kind of difficult to imagine that you are leaving because LWD didn't meet their target dates and are willing to explore alternatives that will likely NEVER have what you are looking for, but, hey, whatever....

And that's because Rob really is passionate about his work, as evidenced by his working from his sick bed, against his doctor's orders, I'm sure. (Get some rest, Rob!)

Aside from a professional database, I have honestly never seen a product as well-featured and as flexible as Realm Works.

You can ask anyone here how much of a critic I was about how deadlines were always missed before its initial release. But once it was, and once I saw it ... WOW.

My only hold out after that was printing. Still, I did use it to run RotL. We never got all the way through it, because life happens (not because of any shortcomings of RW), but it helped me keep track of things, and if we ever go back, I know right where we left off ... and I can recap for the party ... because of Realm Works.

MNBlockHead
February 12th, 2017, 10:46 PM
I checked out the various "competitors" from time to time (Obsidian Portal, City of Brass, the various VTTs, The Keep, etc.), but nothing come close to RW as a campaign management tool. You are obviously frustrated, but after you cool down and waste your time with other tools, I expect you'll be back.

1. Giving up on software that you have a perpetual license for to a yearly service that not only doesn't give you what you were missing in RW, but has fewer features than RW is illogical. Seems like an emotional knee-jerk reaction. What does Scarab.com give that makes it worth it to give up on our $50 software for a $30 per year service?

2. You still won't have RotRL in Scarrab. Are you planning to enter it into Scabbard? Why would it be better in Scabbard than in RW?

3. You say you love HeroLabs. Are you giving up on HL as well as RW? Otherwise, why give up the excellent integration between HL and RW?

You are making a bad decision for yourself in a fit of frustration. You'll either be back or you'll commit to your poor decision "out of principle."

If Scabard.com is a better decision for you, I'd be interested in knowing why. I'm not seeing it.

tkarn
February 12th, 2017, 11:41 PM
I love HeroLab and I love RealmWorks. With both programms I can manage my gamesystem, characters and realm. I made a german version of my gamesystem in Herolab, I made german categories for my world in RealWorks. For me, both works fine. I tried other programms, but they were not so flexible, as I need it. I have to say, at the moment I need no content market, or any adventure path (but I think in future I will use it). But I organized my realm in the way I need it. Printing and a custum calendar would be nice, but I know, it has not the #1 priority and so I can waint.
I had some problems in converting my game system and I must say, the support is very great! Now everything works fine. For me RealmWorks is the correct solution.

gaffneyks
February 13th, 2017, 05:54 AM
If you were a 5th edition player, I could totally understand given the lack of content for 5e in the Content Market and the fact that they are not ready to bring WOTC content to the Content Market yet.

But you are a Pathfinder player, that is LWD Content Market focus. I bet the pathfinder players will always get the latest and greatest from Paizo as compared to the 5e players who can't even get WOTC content at all. All you have to do is wait for them to get the final bugs out and you are GOLDEN!

Yes, the wait has been long and they have not meet the dates stated, but that is common in the IT industry. And look at all the patches they have released this year! Some IT companies go on a release schedule and if you find a bug and the product in not usable, its just tough cookies till the next release. At least this company is responsive. I have even seen the owner on the forum asking players to make sure the problem that they complained about was fixed to their satisfaction.

On a final note, Realm Works is very easy to use compared to some of the other products i have looked into recently.

Zortek
February 13th, 2017, 12:38 PM
Anyone else jump ship, and if so what have you gone to?Aside from MNBlockHead and Bidmaron (minimally), none of the responses actually addressed your question. However, there's no shortage of people willing to be critical of your position. I am not in that camp.

The Keep 2.0 (http://nbos.com/products/the-keep) is another campaign and game management system for Windows, though it looks like it could use an update and costs around $35 to buy. I'm not a fan. It is aging poorly. :eek:
DM Genie (http://www.dmgenie.com/) is a Windows tool for players and game masters running the third edition (or revision 3.5) of Dungeons and Dragons. It’s no longer supported by developers and thus free to download. I'm not a fan. It is past its expiration date. :eek:
Scrivener (https://www.literatureandlatte.com/scrivener.php) is a comprehensive writing project management package used by screenwriters, novelists, and anyone who needs a hand organizing a big project. It can also be used to create a comprehensive overview of your campaign, story, characters, NPCs, and more (though there’ll be a lot of manual work involved). I am a fan. I like this product. It is well designed and fit for purpose; that purpose being (professional) organized writing. :cool:

I would be doing the answer a disservice if I didn't also mention "old school" pen and paper; notebooks are still in my toolkit.

I am glad I held off asking the players to buy a copy, because I am going to jump ship.I say, "Good on you!"

All the apologists making all the excuses don't change your situation. You must do what is best for your players, your story, and ultimately for you.

The bottom line is that LWD is an organization of folk of good intentions and good ideas. However, good intentions and good ideas only hold water for so long in business.

The ad hoc business strategy at this juncture is to over promise and under deliver. This is exactly the opposite approach that a company with a sector/industry flagship (a.k.a. best-in-class) product should apply.

Every delivery at this point comes with self-aggrandizing fanfare; however, because there is so much expectation baked into releases, delivery is generally unremarkable for the consumer. This reflects a gross lack of over-the-horizon planning, marketing savvy, and community management.

Perception is king. Managing perception is king making. Resource constraints are simply a fact of business and life in general. It is most sad that LWD is unaware of the fact that every release of product is met with as much resentment as satisfaction. It is also most sad that revenue generating content has been pushed so far into the vanguard that both desirable and necessary functional capabilities are perceived as being neglected. -- "There are only so many programming hours in a day."

The bottom line is, when one is in a hole, stop digging. This is as true for producers as it is for consumers. LWD operates on the principle of making promises with the noble intention of honoring them some day. Well, one can only dip from the promissory bucket so often before the bucket is empty.

Its time to refill the bucket.

Refilling the bucket begins with rolling back historical product, delivery, and support expectations. Refilling the bucket continues with a commitment to responsible, pragmatic project (and business) management. Keeping the bucket filled includes a commitment to living documentation, honest marketing, and uplifting community management.

Unless and until the deciders choose to acknowledge problems exists, there can be no improvement; mismanagement and failed leadership will persist in corroding the brand. I believe it is important for people to speak truth to power, demonstrate honest dissatisfaction, and challenge group-think with candor.

Good luck to you.

EightBitz
February 13th, 2017, 03:05 PM
The bottom line is, when one is in a hole, stop digging. This is as true for producers as it is for consumers. LWD operates on the principle of making promises with the noble intention of honoring them [I]some day. Well, one can only dip from the promissory bucket so often before the bucket is empty.

I understand everyone has a different perception, but from where I sit, the digging has stopped.

I can build worlds, campaigns and adventures in a very flexible environment.
I can build a core system, export that, and import it into other realms so I can keep a gold copy of my core system intact while using another copy in a dynamic play environment.
In that same manner, I can design an adventure once, export it and import it, and use that to keep track of different groups.
I can present to my players on the web.
I can present to my players at the table.

By your own admission, most of the products you listed are showing their age or are unsupported. Scrivener is great, but it's not designed to do what Realm Works does. I have Scrivener, and I use it. Not to say it's not a great tool, but it serves a different purpose.

I am no apologist. I fully concede that expectations have not been handled well. I said that before it was even released. I've watched Realm Works struggle to grow up. The process hasn't been perfect. But now it's finally starting to mature.

I can do everything I need to do with it. I know that the content market is important for revenue, and that custom calendars are important for people who are far more detailed than I in designing their worlds. I'm not going to say I would be happy if these things never came to be, but I will say that with HTML/World conversion script, the product is eminently usable without them.

But still, I eagerly anticipate seeing the product come to its full maturity.

Dark Lord Galen
February 13th, 2017, 06:39 PM
A..............
The bottom line is that LWD is an organization of folk of good intentions and good ideas. However, good intentions and good ideas only hold water for so long in business.

The ad hoc business strategy at this juncture is to over promise and under deliver. This is exactly the opposite approach that a company with a sector/industry flagship (a.k.a. best-in-class) product should apply.
Perception is king. Managing perception is king making. Resource constraints are simply a fact of business and life in general. It is most sad that LWD is unaware of the fact that every release of product is met with as much resentment as satisfaction. It is also most sad that revenue generating content has been pushed so far into the vanguard that both desirable and necessary functional capabilities are perceived as being neglected. -- "There are only so many programming hours in a day."

The bottom line is, when one is in a hole, stop digging. This is as true for producers as it is for consumers. LWD operates on the principle of making promises with the noble intention of honoring them some day. Well, one can only dip from the promissory bucket so often before the bucket is empty.

Its time to refill the bucket.

Refilling the bucket begins with rolling back historical product, delivery, and support expectations. Refilling the bucket continues with a commitment to responsible, pragmatic project (and business) management. Keeping the bucket filled includes a commitment to living documentation, honest marketing, and uplifting community management.

Unless and until the deciders choose to acknowledge problems exists, there can be no improvement; mismanagement and failed leadership will persist in corroding the brand. I believe it is important for people to speak truth to power, demonstrate honest dissatisfaction, and challenge group-think with candor.

Good luck to you.

Zortek... very well put.

I understand everyone has a different perception, but from where I sit, the digging has stopped.
@ Eightbitz ... while I have enjoyed your posts in the past and certainly your community support has been stellar, got to say I disagree with this one. It has only slowed.... LWD still sends out polls and then proceeds with what they feel is needed regardless of the feedback. I do understand some is based on economic survivability and whom they develop partnered relationships with.. but with those as Zotek so rightly points out, are the vangards that drive the path forward, there is no real need to raise false hope with polls that are skewed or at best simply a weathervane.

In reality, they still (now years later) have failed to deliver on things (no sense listing that horse has been beat to death) presumably close or already present features (in need of better UI) when Realm Works was initially released.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan warts and all, and I have used many of the other software management tools (and others) mentioned and Realmworks will be superior to all of them... but " the soon well has runnith dry". And polls won't fill it.
From my players perspective, their purchase of RW player's addition was a waste of money and they have abandoned it. Fortunately the expense there is not large, BUT Without Calendars, individual player and character reveal, and pc journals and multiple unrecoverable crashes they simply utilize other products for these and Herolab for their PC Sheets because of the lack of funtionality.

@ Chipmunk > as to giving up... like others have stated.. at this point??? unless there is some feature you just can't run your game without that you have not mentioned? I would suggest, at the very least, you could utilize RW as I do, as an electronic file cabinet for your world. IT certainly beats combing through reams of handwritten notes to quickly find obscure info and arrange your past, and present game notes in one place.
just my 2cp

Bidmaron
February 13th, 2017, 07:16 PM

Zortek, I am not sure what leads you to believe most of what is in that paragraph. I don't want to get in a flame war, but I am not aware that LWD has failed to acknowledge any of the delays or problems stemming from them. (I suspect the stress from that was a big part of his recent hospitalization). Aside from schedule, it seems like they either have or intend to keep all their promises. I have not had to pay anything for the free cloud service I have enjoyed for at least two years, as just one example.

I was not personally attacking him, I was merely pointing out that it is illogical to abandon a product that is widely recognized as the most capable product in its category (even when expanded to include scrivener) because it does not include a content feature when absolutely zero of the competitor products in the category (unless you inappropriately expand it to include VTTs) have that feature.

That is almost a textbook case of an illogical decision.

EightBitz
February 13th, 2017, 07:32 PM
@ Eightbitz ... while I have enjoyed your posts in the past and certainly your community support has been stellar, got to say I disagree with this one. It has only slowed.... LWD still sends out polls and then proceeds with what they feel is needed regardless of the feedback. I do understand some is based on economic survivability and whom they develop partnered relationships with.. but with those as Zotek so rightly points out, are the vangards that drive the path forward, there is no real need to raise false hope with polls that are skewed or at best simply a weathervane.

I think in principle, though, we agree. My community support HAS been stellar.

No, no, I'm kidding. My community support is modeled after others who've worked on the community packs, on Doctor Who, on GURPS Lite (even though that one was pulled, at the request of Steve Jackson Games, whom I've stopped supporting).

But back to the matter at hand. I'm not saying everyone should go out and buy RW right now based on future promises. Nor am I saying everyone should have their players buy licenses for player view. Until the Import Export feature was released, Realm Works has mostly been collecting dust on my machine for quite a long time.

What I AM saying is that if you've already invested, and if you've held out this long, this is the wrong time to jump ship.

But everyone's gotta do what they gotta do. I'm not trying to insult or shame anyone. I hope that whoever gives up here and moves on finds something that'll make them happy. I just think the timing is wrong.

Viking2054
February 13th, 2017, 09:02 PM
I think, for some, the real problem was getting their players to buy the player version. For the GM, the GM version is probably the best product available as a campaign management tool. But for players, I think, the product is lacking in key features they want. It is one of the reasons I have not encouraged anyone in my gaming group from buying. It is also why I've advised anyone that has asked me to 'wait until the content market comes out.'

I still believe RW's biggest setback was the switch over to HTML late in the products life. I understand the need to do it, but I think it should of been undertaken much earlier in the products development. As soon as possible after deciding on a web based product would of been ideal for the switch. Anyway, hindsight is 20/20 and it's too late to do anything about it now.

Is it the perfect piece of software for campaign management? Not yet, but it is well on it's way for being the current best.

By the way, I blame Hasbro/WotC for lack of DnD support. Their stance on digital tools is asinine. If they followed Paizo's approach and forced a PDF purchase with a RW code, they would probably greatly increase their sales. I know it would make the community demanding PDF's of DnD happy to finally be able to purchase them.

Zortek
February 13th, 2017, 11:44 PM
Unless and until the deciders choose to acknowledge problems exists, [...]Zortek, I am not sure what leads you to believe most of what is in that paragraph. I don't want to get in a flame war, but I am not aware that LWD has failed to acknowledge any of the delays or problems stemming from them. (I suspect the stress from that was a big part of his recent hospitalization). Aside from schedule, it seems like they either have or intend to keep all their promises. I have not had to pay anything for the free cloud service I have enjoyed for at least two years, as just one example.For clarity, I believe there is a distinction between incidents and problems. Events that result in missed milestones are are incidents. Failing to meet expectations is a problem. This may seem like linguistic acrobatics or pedantic frivolity; however, the distinction is well documented in business process management and continuous improvement practice (and well beyond the polite scope of social brevity). :p

I appreciate your feedback. And I believe we are well within the fuzzy boundaries of agreement. I can see how, in rushing my wrap-up, I sabotaged my own message in the last paragraph (and how your read is appropriately vexed). This is my failing; my post closure was ill-crafted and predicated on argumentation I failed to adequately provide. I stipulate to your comments as they are appropriate as contextually framed.

I was not personally attacking him, I was merely pointing out that it is illogical to abandon a product that is widely recognized as the most capable product in its category (even when expanded to include scrivener) because it does not include a content feature when absolutely zero of the competitor products in the category (unless you inappropriately expand it to include VTTs) have that feature.I agree. Though I did suggest that feedback to the OP was, in large part, critical of the OP's idea, I do not feel any of the shock and dismay could be characterized as a personal attack on the OP.

I am a huge fan of RW. RW has, at present, a permanent place in my toolkit. Like many others, I believe it is fit for purpose (warts and all). And, for reasons that are entirely my own, I am unlikely to ever avail myself of any commercial offering from the content marketplace. Part of me hopes the delivery delay is infinite so as to perpetuate free cloud service. However, I know such hope is futile... but I digress.

To me, the OP statement/action possesses no logic gap. I see the decision as part of a consumer journey. It is neither a point of origin nor a destination. I honestly believe his action is a commitment to consumer values.

I cannot deny that from some points-of-view, such action may seem illogical. However, because I see it as a journey, I compassionately welcome anyone to pass in or out the door. If the other side of the threshold offers less suffering, then by all means, let us rejoice in that.

It is often said, "The grass is greener over the septic tank." :eek:

We all are confronted by the same basic question, can we appreciate the aroma where we presently stand sufficient that we are not motivated to take to different turf.

---

I too desire no flame war. While I insist on projecting a tone that ranges from coaching to finger-waggling toward LWD, I pray my tone with you has been even more constructive. :)

Bidmaron
February 14th, 2017, 03:57 AM
Zortek, it is always a joy to be able to speak civilly about an issue where they may be disagreement.

Thanks for keeping it that way.

I do have a little trouble understanding why folks are upset with player edition. It is missing key features currently, but at its launch there was never any attempt to disguise that it was missing those features. Now if the rage is because there was anticipation that those missing features would be available in a more timely way, I can somewhat understand that. However, no one should buy a product that clearly is missing what they consider essential features.

Pollution
February 14th, 2017, 04:29 AM
Deleted

Dark Lord Galen
February 14th, 2017, 05:35 AM
Zortek, it is always a joy to be able to speak civilly about an issue where they may be disagreement.

Thanks for keeping it that way.
@Bid & Zortek... Totally Agree
And in general to keep the thread on track, like others ...IMO it seems if you have already made the investment in RW why not weather the storm? I could see abandonment if the cost would be an annual fee or if/when the cloud services kick in and you don't see a value added there, but (as others could probably attest) I don't defend LWD lightly, but they have been supportive even in those elements.
Extending the Cloud, even saying as much as if you no longer want the cloud, thats cool, just update on occassion in case you change your mind as some later date and wish to come back... thats pretty flexible IMO.

I do have a little trouble understanding why folks are upset with player edition. It is missing key features currently, but at its launch there was never any attempt to disguise that it was missing those features. Now if the rage is because there was anticipation that those missing features would be available in a more timely way, I can somewhat understand that. However, no one should buy a product that clearly is missing what they consider essential features.
I can clarify, at least from the feedback of my own players....
not saying they are right or wrong just how it was received and perceived.

When first launched, the Players version stumbled right out of the block. There were several crashes and I had several players lose game logs. Most data, fortunately was transferred from other docs such as word or handwritten, but some gaming sessions were lost. But this still started the mistrust of secure info.
Part of the advertised features at release were:

[1]It’s never been easier to find an important tidbit that your character deduced many sessions ago
[2]Review information that has been shared in previous games,
[3]Keep track of ideas for the evolution of your character

Just to name a few.
Now at the time, these were interpreted differently due to the vagueness of how they were portrayed. We have since come to know what the intent of the meaning was, but that was not apparent at the release.

[1]Was interpreted that each character could know and search for info that only that character knew. Reality, not there yet. Reveals are an all or none currently.

[2]Kind of a subset of the first, with a dash of missing in game calendaring (our campaign is very time line driven and without a good calendar, determining where what group was was difficult) utilizing no calendar and a extremely basic storyboard concept. Granted this is compounded due to the complexities of our campaign that may not be like others and that our campaign alternates between two different groups which also exacerbates the situation. My players had hope of being able to time line each of their groups in game time relative to the other. The failure of RW on the DM end cascaded into the Players addition here as this could not be shared or revealed because it didn't exist in the DM side to do so.

[3]This is a compound problem, again due to en-mass reveal, character driven goals could not be shared (imagine if the group knew one among them was a spy?) and those thoughts, plans could not be conveyed to just the DM since this was a one way street of information. Forcing those things to be noted and discussed outside the record of RW, which is why it was purchased to begin with.

I have always been (sorry Chemlak:)) the biggest banner waver for the Calendar. It is integral to our campaign to have multiple calendars based on Races, moons, and geo-politicals. BUT I have also gone on record that I can continue (and have) with my access program and excel to manage that, just as I have for the 20 years in the past. Only if that is further supporting the Player versioning to what it should be. As for now, unless you simply use it as a sudoskype gaming session its DOA.

Again that is just perception of players who have purchased it and tried to use in in a campaign that has 30 years of real world back history built into the game. I assume part of the blame for their purchase, as I had championed it as a good tool to manage the elements (and others) above based on what I thought I knew about RW at the time and how that would work with the Player version. Some of those assumptions were misled on LW part others my eagerness to actually have a tool we all had hoped for...

It is what is is... My players have casted it aside and I use it as an electronic filecabinet with the waning hope that someday "soon" will come.

Dark Lord Galen
February 14th, 2017, 05:48 AM
......... This may seem like linguistic acrobatics or pedantic frivolity; however, the distinction is well documented in business process management and continuous improvement practice (and well beyond the polite scope of social brevity). :p
LOL ROFL Now thats Funny!

I appreciate your feedback. And I believe we are well within the fuzzy boundaries of agreement.
Agreed I think the community as a whole for this thread is vocalizing the same basic elements .. in for a penny in for a pound....

I too desire no flame war. While I insist on projecting a tone that ranges from coaching to finger-waggling toward LWD, I pray my tone with you has been even more constructive. :)

AGREED and Bravo Sir
http://forums.wolflair.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5019&stc=1&d=1487083599

EightBitz
February 14th, 2017, 06:37 AM
LOL ROFL Now thats Funny!

Agreed I think the community as a whole for this thread is vocalizing the same basic elements .. in for a penny in for a pound....

AGREED and Bravo Sir
http://forums.wolflair.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5019&stc=1&d=1487083599

No, not even that so much. "in for a penny, in for a pound" is a metaphor for investing MORE of something. For instance: "You already bought the main program and five player licenses, why not buy three more?" Or "Why not wait for the content market and buy just one adventure path and see what an 'official' realm looks like."

But no one is suggesting that sort of thing. We're saying, "you're in for a penny ... you don't have to go in for a pound. Just don't waste penny's worth."

ChipmunkPDX
February 14th, 2017, 07:17 AM
I am coming from a long time player to a first time GM. Most of my extra income has gone directly to Paizo and Lone Wolf. I am the kind of person who needs the physical books, PDFs just don't do it for me. I have also bought all but AP and campaigns expansions for hero lab...hundreds of dollars. I don't want anyone to think just because of my frustration with Realm Works that I'm at all disappointed in Hero Labs. I think that is amazing. (Including their support for MAC and iOS)

I guess I was expecting Realm Works to be further along from what I read. Being a MAC person, I actually went out and bought a Microsoft laptop just so I can try Realm Works. I write code for a big chunk of my job, and understand delays, but when going through their releases... just seemed like they would have been further along. So my expectations didn't match the experience. I agree after looking at other options that there isn't much out there... so I think I will pass on being a GM for awhile and continue to enjoy playing in campaigns until I get the urge to try once more.... by then hopefully Realm Works will have what I expected it to have to help me.

adzling
February 14th, 2017, 07:54 AM
I guess I was expecting Realm Works to be further along from what I read. Being a MAC person, I actually went out and bought a Microsoft laptop just so I can try Realm Works.

I run realmworks on my mac via parallels.

works great@!

EightBitz
February 14th, 2017, 07:56 AM
I am coming from a long time player to a first time GM. Most of my extra income has gone directly to Paizo and Lone Wolf. I am the kind of person who needs the physical books, PDFs just don't do it for me. I have also bought all but AP and campaigns expansions for hero lab...hundreds of dollars. I don't want anyone to think just because of my frustration with Realm Works that I'm at all disappointed in Hero Labs. I think that is amazing. (Including their support for MAC and iOS)

I guess I was expecting Realm Works to be further along from what I read. Being a MAC person, I actually went out and bought a Microsoft laptop just so I can try Realm Works. I write code for a big chunk of my job, and understand delays, but when going through their releases... just seemed like they would have been further along. So my expectations didn't match the experience. I agree after looking at other options that there isn't much out there... so I think I will pass on being a GM for awhile and continue to enjoy playing in campaigns until I get the urge to try once more.... by then hopefully Realm Works will have what I expected it to have to help me.

Keep an eye on the Humble Books Bundles. In the past ... maybe year or so? Paizo has offered two PDF bundles for quite a good deal. The first was a rule book collection (Core Rulebook, the Advanced guides, the Ultimate guides), and the second and more recent one was a bundle of adventure paths.

I got the first, but not the second, as I don't currently have disposable income. I have no idea if Paizo will offer other bundles through this site, but if they do, you can save a LOT of money.

You get the codes to unlock the PDFs on Paizo's site, so it's all perfectly official. There's nothing shifty about this. The Bundle of Holding site supports charities, and they work with content providers to offer different deals every couple of weeks or every month or however often they change.

Even if you don't find Paizo stuff there, it's a great site to watch for other deals.

https://www.humblebundle.com/books

And there's also the Bundle of Holding. It's a different site (I'm guessing a different organization), but the same concept, and it focuses specifically on RPG books. I have not yet seen any Pathfinder stuff there. They usually work with titles from DrivethruRPG. But that's not to say there never WILL be Pathfinder stuff there. Just keep an eye out.

https://bundleofholding.com

I think you can sign up for email updates on both sites.

GamingSam
February 14th, 2017, 11:58 AM
If I may add my experience as someone new to Realm Works and Hero Lab

I am the kind of person who needs the physical books, PDFs just don't do it for me.

Yes, me too. To actually read and learn a system, I prefer a physical book. During play, when I need to look something up quick, I use a PDF or some other method.

Back when I started gaming carrying an Amiga and 14" CRT to someones house for computer aid was not a consideration (and there wouldn't have been any useful software for it anyway!)

But then, 25 years ago I could keep most of a system and the adventure in my head. 15 years ago I could keep some of it in there and was sharp enough to wing the rest. These days I need something written down and easy to locate.

I have also bought a Microsoft laptop just to run Realm Works and Campaign Cartographer. Actually, I have been running the latter on the Mac under VMWare Fusion, but I will be moving it across. I also have Hero Labs on the laptop now.

I have come from developing plots on Scrivener, a program I really like using. Take Scrivener, put in clickable cross referencing, make it not just handle images properly inline but also part of the cross referencing mechanic, make it less general and more specific to RPGs... this is getting on for being perfect.

It is interesting to me, as I recognize the frustration of a long term user expecting the product to be going somewhere at a reasonable speed. I have made similar remarks on completely different, unrelated, products over the years.

Coming in new to it, it feels almost complete. It could do with some more tweaks around text entry and organisation, but 'as is' is perfectly usable for me.

The ability to print out player hand outs is the other thing, I can see the usefulness of revealing information to players in real time. However, I suspect I will never use this. As for pushing data out to their devices, do people actually do this? Sitting in a room together and looking at their screens? Most of my group would probably need to learn how to use an iPad without hurting themselves first.

I'm not getting the content market either. Is this for system rules? What does it give over a clickable PDF? I can see it for house rules or cutting down long lists for settings, for example a reduced advantage/disadvantage list in GURPS that is allowed in the game, but these would be hand crafted anyway.

For actual modules? Couldn't these be done now as non-system specific with placeholders for the system specific parts, i.e. items, monsters, etc? These could be linked in from Hero Labs NPCs using your system of choice?

Oddly enough, it is Hero Lab I'm less enamored with.

Anyway, enough of my rambling.

Sam.

EightBitz
February 14th, 2017, 12:18 PM
Realm Works isn't designed to push out live updates to people at the table. It's designed for the GM to keep his world/adventure/campaign/rules organized, and to keep track of what's been revealed to players.

After the game session, the GM can sync to the cloud, and anyone with a player version can review all the revealed data between game sessions.

Alternatively, the GM can review revealed data to easily offer a recap at the next session.

As for printing, you can do that now. When LWD introduced the import/export function, the first thing I did was write a PowerShell script that transforms the XML output into HTML. You can take that HTML output and publish it on the web, print it to PDF or print it to your printer.

When you export, you have the option of exporting everything, only certain topics, or only player-revealed content. So that gives you pretty good flexibility to print session recaps or to configure how you want to compile and manage handouts.

After refining that to make it more functional and usable, the next thing I did was add an option for Word output. So now you can easily and directly edit your output in a fully functional word processor.

Right now, I have two users with reported issues, and I will do my best to address those issues, but I know that other people are using the script with no issues at all.

GamingSam
February 14th, 2017, 12:37 PM
Your explanation of the player update functionality makes more sense.

I did read the script thread, but not fully it seems. I had not realized i could export only certain parts and then let your script convert it, most useful.

Sam.

kbs666
February 14th, 2017, 12:43 PM
I've used Scrivener and it's not bad. But it isn't RW. Nothing does what RW does. The RW linker puts RW in a class by itself.

Once you've used RW for a while and explored it the other features start to really become important, if some of them could use some work too. The relationship system is AFAIK unique to RW and is vital to how I run games now. The storyboard lets me model my plots visually.

And the fact is the folks at LWD are clearly trying to get the CM out so they can increase sales. This may not matter much to us but its how they keep the lights on. Which is how we get the new features that do matter to us. I say let them figure out how to sell and deliver the CM realms and then get back to improving RW before declaring the package beyond salvaging.

Silveras
February 14th, 2017, 06:44 PM
Realm Works isn't designed to push out live updates to people at the table. It's designed for the GM to keep his world/adventure/campaign/rules organized, and to keep track of what's been revealed to players.

After the game session, the GM can sync to the cloud, and anyone with a player version can review all the revealed data between game sessions.

Alternatively, the GM can review revealed data to easily offer a recap at the next session.

If you think of this as a kind of private Wiki for a campaign, it makes more sense, I think.

BJ
February 14th, 2017, 06:50 PM
A private Wiki is a good description!

Bidmaron
February 14th, 2017, 07:09 PM
I prefer self-linking wiki.

BJ
February 14th, 2017, 07:21 PM

Also good! :)

Bidmaron
February 14th, 2017, 08:17 PM
This is the way I described realmworks to Fantasy Grounds users:

Think of Realmworks as a self-building non-web wiki.
It can automatically generate most links between topics and will bring up resolution dialog as it makes links if there is a conflict.
You can also designate which information to reveal to players

Mystic Lemur
February 14th, 2017, 10:14 PM
So, I understand things can get behind, but you shouldn't give dates if you are that far behind schedule. If your customer's can't trust you, how long do you expect to keep them?
I've been following since the Kickstarter. Every date they've given has been their best estimate at the time. When you give a date, and then have to replace a key staff member, you're not going to meet that date. When you give a date, then discover a bug that requires a rework of the whole backend, you're not going to meet that date. I'm glad they stopped giving dates, because every time they did something broke :p

Anyone else jump ship, and if so what have you gone to? I just bought Scabard.com to try it out, but open to suggestions. (I know they don't provide a Content market either, but they don't keep promising to give you one... and would rather use something where I know what I am getting instead of a bunch of empty promises.)

Is Masterplan still a thing? That's what I used to use. It was designed for 4e, but was passable for other versions of D&D.

That said, by the time you get through the learning curve of another product the Content Market should be up and running. Might be a good way to pass the time :p :p

daplunk
February 14th, 2017, 10:24 PM
Masterplan is dead to my knowledge. The link doesn't go anywhere. I still have a copy though. Found it last night during a HDD clean-up. If RW was ever an infant i imagine it looked alot like MasterPlan :D

http://www.habitualindolence.net/masterplan/

tkarn
February 14th, 2017, 10:43 PM

This is a good description.

daplunk
February 14th, 2017, 11:21 PM
Wiki does it injustice IMO. Realm Works is so much more.

It's a dm binder full to the brim of every piece of information I have ever found that I thought might be useful that's is perfectly organised and goes out of its way to help me find the information I need when and where I need it. Realm Works is my OCD side. It organises everything to enable me to forget about organisation while I am running a session. It let's me let the story take control because I have faith that Realm Works is there backing me up when I need to get back on track quickly. It's got a much better memory than me which means my stories are lasting longer and becoming more details. It's the reason I will make the leap from pre made content to building a world of my own.

Greebo
February 14th, 2017, 11:58 PM

It's a dm binder full to the brim of every piece of information (...)

Having some issues with OCD myself, this decribes it quite well, daplunk. And that is my personal reason, why I did not jump ship. Even though Dark Lord Galen's problems sound just like my problems. And I hope those missing features will be implemented quite soonish after the opening of the CM.

:)

Kairos
February 15th, 2017, 08:43 AM
I mostly lurk here, but I thought I'd chime in as someone who had shelved RW and have now come back to it.

I love HeroLab. HeroLab is genius and that was what brought me to the RW KS. Now, I backed because I was under the impression web-sharing was close to release (in 2013). I was playing mostly PBP games at the time and wanted a campaign management tool. That, obviously, hasn't happened.

I'm not as much as a planner when I GM like I used to be -- so the lavish detail I can bring to a campaign world is not my bag these days.

But the mechanics reference...oh the mechanics reference. This is where it is at for me. I've loaded up a couple games' rule structure into RW, and the autolinking is magical. That alone has saved me so much headache and speeded up play at the table (well, on Roll20 which is my gaming life right now).

This has gotten me excited for the Content Market. If I can come to a system like Pathfinder, load up a rulebook (maybe) and some APs and have everything there at a click? Yeah, I'd pay for that convenience.

But yeah, to the OP, if it isn't floating your boat right now, take a break. Come back later. Put your stuff in OneNote (I do) -- it transfers to RW quite nicely.

Me? I was an Alpha Wolf backer so I feel in for a penny/in for a pound. My kids will be in high school before I get the web sharing I think, and I haven't gotten a ton of use out of the tool, but that is changing with my Mythras/Luther Arkwright campaign now. The auto-linking is killer and rewards your time and effort with exponential convenience later IMO.

But I recommend checking back in when the Content Market is in swing.

kbs666
February 15th, 2017, 11:51 AM

It's a dm binder full to the brim of every piece of information I have ever found that I thought might be useful that's is perfectly organised and goes out of its way to help me find the information I need when and where I need it. Realm Works is my OCD side. It organises everything to enable me to forget about organisation while I am running a session. It let's me let the story take control because I have faith that Realm Works is there backing me up when I need to get back on track quickly. It's got a much better memory than me which means my stories are lasting longer and becoming more details. It's the reason I will make the leap from pre made content to building a world of my own.
I've always built my own worlds. I've been a GM off and on, mostly on, since 1979 when I got the blue box of D&D as a gift. I ran my friends through the adventure that came in the box and then had to start building a world and adventures since there wasn't exactly a ton of stuff on the market back then and my allowance wouldn't have let me buy it even if there was.

RW turns the process of building a world into one of simplest pleasure. Everything fits together. Nothing gets forgotten or misplaced. The more you think about the world and fill in the blanks the more easily and naturally adventures just fall into place.

diamondb
April 8th, 2017, 05:36 PM
I had a long rant about how I teetered on the edge of leaving and the pros and cons I had juggled with RW, but I deleted it. I still have my files in RW, I'll likely keep using it as an organizational tool, I want RW to succeed and I want to love RW. However, I don't know if it will ever live up to the hopes and dreams I had for it. The content market is a non-issue for me, I never intended to use it and my switch to 5e hammered a few more nails in that coffin (a switch that is likely going to be the end of my HeroLab use as well).

The one issue that keeps me questioning my continued use of RW is the inability to print from the program. Yes, yes EightBitz, I know you addressed the ability to print.

As for printing, you can do that now. When LWD introduced the import/export function, the first thing I did was write a PowerShell script that transforms the XML output into HTML.

I applaud your work (and the work of all the community members making RW and HeroLab great). My issue, however, is why must a third-party community member have to write a script to provide us with functionality that should have been part of the program in the first place? I understand the need to focus on revenue streams, but I feel the functionality I hoped would come from RW was sacrificed for the sake of those revenue streams and I fear that functionality will never arrive. Unless, of course, the community steps up and patches the holes.

Sorry, if that still sounded ranty, maybe my frustration got the better of me. I'm still a user, I just wonder sometimes how much longer I will remain and what I will use if I ever leave.

Exmortis
April 10th, 2017, 05:33 AM
Funny, the delays with RW features affect me....Like 5 on a scale of 1 to 1000. With 4.99 of that being calendars.

One has to remember, to quote Kosh "Understanding is a three edged sword". But here it has hundreds of edges.

For me, RW is a campaign building tool that has no comparison, or competition. All in one systems are crap, yes crap, jack of all trades is convenient but never great. I have CC3+ for mapping (there is no better, just easier), I have Hero Lab for characters (Again there is no better, just easier or different), have RW Campaign building and delivery (no better just different), Soon to use D20 for replacement of miniatures.

The content market for me is one of convenience, I hope to be able to buy the rule books to import into my campaign, then link to them (can you image no more book/page flipping?). I build my own campaigns, have done for 20+ years of gaming, ever since my first attempt at campaign "Merchant's Gate". This was centered around the thieves guild being expelled from Waterdeep, their founding of this town on the major trade route. Other than the map, everything was custom, after that, I never used anything but a self build world.

In this light, nothing beats the tools I have outlined above, with my latest incarnation Daede (and my personal fun project, Telon), I have custom races, deities, maps, everything. Find me a tool like HL that allows me to build my races into the generator, like they came with it? Find me a tool as good as CC3 for making interlinked maps? And find me a better tool for pulling it all together then RW, with the ability to deliver content, have players archive it, access it on a whim, at home or at the game table? For the price of admission and small up coming cloud fee. You won't.

For those who want to run pre-built materials, YES RWs delays are annoying, frustrating and wholly the main point of lost faith. No one can argue otherwise period. All the fanois can't argue AMD bulldozer sucked, any more then RW fanbois like me can argue the delays are beyond forgiving. If I cared.

But I don't.

I don't defend the delays, I defend what the product offers, but it may not be the same for everyone. I am grateful I have not invested in RW to run my Pathfinder campaign and say an AP like rune lords, or with the entire intent to buy content. I would have long ago left, how long can one wait for vapor ware? However I do agree now is a poor time to leave, the final drive is here. A person has to at one point decide to cut your losses on something and bail, but on the eve of a new day isn't the time to give up on tomorrow when today has been so bad.

I agree with the sediment that the delays are inexcusable, "don't promise what you can't deliver". But you have to understand that the average person "I want a hard date now!" are loud and just as annoying, as ETA is just estimated, but too many need to buy a dictionary. This is the land they [LWD] operate in, and Rob is much nicer then I would be to that vocal group. Why LWD is successful and I would fail.

However the fans points are JUST as valid, they love and work with the product, we have found a way to use the software with its faults, and see the growth over time, and can see that the future is brighter than the past. That's why they are passionate, almost makes me feel dirty like I was an apple fanboi!! :) But make no mistake, they understand the delays annoyances, not everyone is a fountain of negativity like some self proclaimed royalty.

You take RW two ways:

Love it for what it is, and is evolving into.
OR
Hate it for what it isn't.

Both are just as legit as the other, but if you stand on your soapbox and preach, you bring both voices in return. YOU asked for the discussion, anyone who posts in an open forum is looking for the attention, so stop making a big deal about it either way, fanboi or not..PMs don't have this issue, we fanbois are annoying to the detractors, but understand, the detractors are just as annoying to the fanbois.

IN the end, we have symmetry, thus balance. And that's all the matters.

gaffneyks
April 10th, 2017, 06:58 AM
For those who say the Content Market delays do not affect you because you don't purchase content.

True at this time they do not and since you don't plan on using it you assume that it is not a big deal, but if LWD is relying on it as a business strategy, then the loss of customers might ultimately have an impact to the product and thus affect you and me.

Since the content market will not include any Forgotten Realms content and that is what I am currently playing, the complete inability of LWD going live with the content market is actually a positive to my players. After having to manually enter everything myself, I actually know the module better than I would have if I had bought it. So things have gone more smoothly for them.

But I am concerned about the complete face plant the content market has been. I have seen this before with software products, and loss of revenue always has an impact on the product getting new features and upgrades.

Exmortis
April 10th, 2017, 09:23 AM
For those who say the Content Market delays do not affect you because you don't purchase content.

True at this time they do not and since you don't plan on using it you assume that it is not a big deal, but if LWD is relying on it as a business strategy, then the loss of customers might ultimately have an impact to the product and thus affect you and me.

Since the content market will not include any Forgotten Realms content and that is what I am currently playing, the complete inability of LWD going live with the content market is actually a positive to my players. After having to manually enter everything myself, I actually know the module better than I would have if I had bought it. So things have gone more smoothly for them.

But I am concerned about the complete face plant the content market has been. I have seen this before with software products, and loss of revenue always has an impact on the product getting new features and upgrades.

Agree, but the only feature I want, is calendars...Period. And it is not anywhere near a make or break feature.

Anything else is just gravy, and gravy doesn't make the meal, that is how the meat was prepared and tastes. And RW tastes great!

Farling
April 10th, 2017, 10:54 AM
After having to manually enter everything myself, I actually know the module better than I would have if I had bought it. So things have gone more smoothly for them.

This is the one of the big reasons to input the campaign yourself. It is amazing how much extra detail can be gleaned whilst you're thinking about how to structure the snippets in each topic (even down to thinking about which snippets need rewording so that they can be revealed, and possibly presented in the player view).

kbs666
April 10th, 2017, 02:05 PM
I'm reaching this point as well. I love RW and use it almost every day. I no more want to go back to my old way of building and managing a campaign than I want to be poked with a sharp stick a few thousand times. I know enough about software projects to know what one heading in the wrong direction looks like.

I just hope that LWD straightens things out soon.

chaoscowboy
April 10th, 2017, 02:12 PM
Realmworks is a glorified database. Why it isn't web-based boggles the mind, but then Lone Wolf seems to be trying to treat the internet like it's still 2004.

Farling
April 10th, 2017, 02:21 PM
Realmworks is a glorified database.

So is the internet.

Why it isn't web-based boggles the mind, but then Lone Wolf seems to be trying to treat the internet like it's still 2004.

I think you'll find many posts on here from people who don't have unlimited access to the internet from their gaming locations.

Many parts of the world are still not connected reliably to the internet. This is a fact that many city dwellers fail to remember.

daplunk
April 10th, 2017, 02:35 PM
My gaming room doesn't get reliable internet connection :'(

kbs666
April 10th, 2017, 02:54 PM
Realmworks is a glorified database. Why it isn't web-based boggles the mind, but then Lone Wolf seems to be trying to treat the internet like it's still 2004.
Web based can mean many things to different people.

If you mean a purely thin client accessible through a browser there are serious limitations to such a format.

ruhar
April 10th, 2017, 05:16 PM

I had the same issue and went round and round with ComSucks, aka Comcast, before I finally got a knowledgeable technician who told me I need a booster that I can get at Best Buy or store that sells electronics. It wasn't that expensive and was fairly easy to hook up. I just followed the directions to link it to my internet via wifi then plugged it in in another room close to the room I was having trouble with. I haven't had any trouble since, except when ComSucks does black outs at 2am when I'm still up, but that's a different thread.

kbs666
April 10th, 2017, 05:53 PM
I had the same issue and went round and round with ComSucks, aka Comcast, before I finally got a knowledgeable technician who told me I need a booster that I can get at Best Buy or store that sells electronics. It wasn't that expensive and was fairly easy to hook up. I just followed the directions to link it to my internet via wifi then plugged it in in another room close to the room I was having trouble with. I haven't had any trouble since, except when ComSucks does black outs at 2am when I'm still up, but that's a different thread.
Comcast probably just plunked down a router and got out as fast as possible during the initial install.

A lot depends on how big an area you want to cover, the material your home is built out of and the networks in use nearby. When they installed the Wi-Fi in the first place they should have gone around to every place you intended to connect from and verify your signal strength and installed the extenders, or at least told you you needed them then.

But you have to love the fact that it was a struggle to find out something you could have discovered if you'd known about this app:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.farproc.wifi.analyzer&hl=en

Parody
April 10th, 2017, 06:04 PM
My solution for my own house was to run wired connections all over the place; for the upstairs rooms that meant up through the unused clothes chute and along the floorboards. Then I put the wifi router in the game room.

Unfortunately most of the places I play aren't my house, so I have little control over what internet access is available there. Similarly, I have no control over cell reception (my gaming room is in my basement).

Web based can mean many things to different people.
It can, but to most non-technical folks it means something they access through a browser that exists "somewhere". They may even remember the address instead of searching for it each time they want to use it. (Maybe.)

Even as a technical person, I'm going to assume "web-based" means something accessed on the Internet rather than local.

daplunk
April 10th, 2017, 06:11 PM
I could fix it quite easily :) I just don't need to at this stage. If Realm Works changed tomorrow to require an always on internet connection that room would be upgraded within 12 hours.

ruhar
April 10th, 2017, 06:49 PM
But you have to love the fact that it was a struggle to find out something you could have discovered if you'd known about this app:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.farproc.wifi.analyzer&hl=en

Except I have an iPhone. :D

kbs666
April 10th, 2017, 07:25 PM
Except I have an iPhone. :D
I'm sure there is something like that on the iOS.

Exmortis
April 11th, 2017, 04:52 AM
I'm sure there is something like that on the iOS.

I have a Windows 10 phone, ill have to check the store, used to have this exact app on one of my old droid phones when i was testing wireless reception.

adzling
April 11th, 2017, 07:50 AM
this, 1000%.

if LW doesn't get their webview worked out in a functional and useable way RW will be eclipsed by an online tool that adds Realmwork like functionality.

There really is nothing that amazing in realmworks from an IP perspective that couldn't be implemented by roll20 or similar.

Guyanthalas
April 11th, 2017, 08:02 PM
Is Masterplan still a thing? That's what I used to use. It was designed for 4e, but was passable for other versions of D&D.

I just recently uploaded a torrent for it because everyone kept asking where to get it on my tutorial videos. I tried a few hosting sites and decided that torrent was the better option.
And no, I'm not the creator of MasterPlan, I just did the tutorial videos.
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AjQfT72G1I2a1mhqOLttja-RNS6X

Guyanthalas
April 11th, 2017, 08:12 PM
Oh, and I suppose to keep this on topic...

Don't take this the wrong way. Reading between the lines, the OP is probably in a position of "The tool is overwhelming, DMing is overwhelming, and RW doesn't allow it to be any easier" and I think they are spot on. Buying a nice garage worth of tools doesn't mean you are great at building a house.

I bought Realm Works for my girlfriend who runs a homebrew campaign. She was using OneNote to hold all of her stuff and I thought Realm Works was the better option. I'm pretty sure when I got it for her it was a week of solid cussing from her as she transcribed things. I really felt like a piece of crap because it was a birthday gift for her and thought I had let her down.

However, after she struggled through the learning curve, she loves it. It does exactly what she needs to do (for home brew campaign). I use it for Princes of the Apocalypse and Daplunks videos have helped me a lot for putting in existing content. Now she and I are trying to figure out the best way to get the PHB / DMG into RW in a cohesive manner and that is not an easy problem to tackle.

The tool doesn't help a new DM with running a game. Point of fact, it probably hurts a lot more than it helps (more options is RARELY helpful when someone is unsure what to do). That doesn't mean its a bad tool, but we some root cause analysis might be in order to help getting the guy off the ground.

Gwydion
April 12th, 2017, 04:32 AM

Don't take this the wrong way. Reading between the lines, the OP is probably in a position of "The tool is overwhelming, DMing is overwhelming, and RW doesn't allow it to be any easier" and I think they are spot on. Buying a nice garage worth of tools doesn't mean you are great at building a house.

I bought Realm Works for my girlfriend who runs a homebrew campaign. She was using OneNote to hold all of her stuff and I thought Realm Works was the better option. I'm pretty sure when I got it for her it was a week of solid cussing from her as she transcribed things. I really felt like a piece of crap because it was a birthday gift for her and thought I had let her down.

However, after she struggled through the learning curve, she loves it. It does exactly what she needs to do (for home brew campaign). I use it for Princes of the Apocalypse and Daplunks videos have helped me a lot for putting in existing content. Now she and I are trying to figure out the best way to get the PHB / DMG into RW in a cohesive manner and that is not an easy problem to tackle.

The tool doesn't help a new DM with running a game. Point of fact, it probably hurts a lot more than it helps (more options is RARELY helpful when someone is unsure what to do). That doesn't mean its a bad tool, but we some root cause analysis might be in order to help getting the guy off the ground.

Interesting in that I use it for POTA as well. I loaded all the significant NPC's in, maps with pins and the basic read aloud text for the players. I use Fantasy Grounds to play and after each session I unshade the maps so the players can view stuff offline. I also update map entries to briefly describe what they battled and/or found out in a particular session. It was a lot of work, but it is really helpful for them to remember clues, who they have killed, etc.. I've gotten into the habit of putting a R.I.P. entry in Realmworks for each significant NPC the players take out.

Exmortis
April 12th, 2017, 05:01 AM

I felt the same way your GF did. I felt the same way getting started with CC way back in the day.

The best, most powerful tools are rarely user friendly, are rarely easy to just jump into. However, for those who are willing to the invest the time, effort and learning, they pay off in spades.

Think of that as R&D, nothing worth while just lands on your lap, one has to work at it. RW is not for the casual minded note taker, it is for the core campaign gamer who wants an open management and content delivery platform.

never use a hammer to put in the screw,

tiggertazz
April 12th, 2017, 10:40 AM

Thank you Guyanthalas, Exmortis and Gwydion for your updated input. I have been looking to getting back to DMing again and have been looking for some tools other than paper and pen. I have looked at Roll20 but have a hard time thinking that it is all in the cloud and I may not have access to it offline. This my 2nd look at Lone Wolf products and I am intrigued with the tools but also it is only as good as what you put into it. Most of my games have been me moving from note card to note card. You info has helped me remember that if a tool sits in the the garage unused then what good is it.

kbs666
April 13th, 2017, 09:01 AM
I felt the same way your GF did. I felt the same way getting started with CC way back in the day.

The best, most powerful tools are rarely user friendly, are rarely easy to just jump into. However, for those who are willing to the invest the time, effort and learning, they pay off in spades.

Think of that as R&D, nothing worth while just lands on your lap, one has to work at it. RW is not for the casual minded note taker, it is for the core campaign gamer who wants an open management and content delivery platform.

never use a hammer to put in the screw,
It is really difficult to make a tool, of any kind, intuitive, easy to learn and broadly useful. That RW falls short of that shouldn't shock people.

The reason I make videos, and the reason I hope others evangelize in whatever ways work for them, is to help GM's use what I think is the single best GM's aid to ever come along. The more GM's that use RW the better it will be for all of us as LWD will have more income to devote to it to add features and improve the existing ones.