PDA

View Full Version : Free Content Release?

stuartwaring
January 26th, 2017, 03:28 PM
Hi Guys,

I just wondered if there was an update on when the free content (Isle of Kandril etc) would be available as in your blog post you mentioned it being 2nd week of Jan.

I have been kind of hanging out for that and the content market so i can pay you guys to do my GM prep for me!

I understand that their are always delays possible but I am supposed to run a game Sunday (about 7pm Saturday in the States!), and really really want to run on of these mini adventures so I can be lazy and not spend hours doing something that you guys have already done for the content market far better than I can

Thanks
Stu

Ajax
January 30th, 2017, 12:28 PM
How about some information on this? More delays?

Maidhc O Casain
January 31st, 2017, 08:09 AM
I've been waiting for this as well. I'm thinking of running a Razor Coast game, and would really like to have the Realm Works content all set up for me...

Any further word on when the free Kickstarter content well be available?

Silveras
January 31st, 2017, 11:21 AM
Razor Coast in Realm Works, as I recall, was a stretch goal for the Razor Coast kickstarter, not the Realm Works one. The content under discussion is the content that was included in the Realm Works kickstarter.

I have no idea how close Frog God Games is to releasing the Razor Coast material on Realm Works. As it was promised for their kickstarter, they may be ready to go as soon as Lonw Wolf opens up the Content Market to third parties.. but that may be a while after the Realm Works kickstarter materials are available.

AEIOU
January 31st, 2017, 11:51 AM
Razor Coast is definitely a RW stretch goal. Same for FGG's release of The Blight.

EDIT: Tried to add a link to the specific image but half way down the KS site is a list of final stretch goals. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/610004753/realm-works-streamlined-rpg-campaign-tools?ref=nav_search

Maidhc O Casain
January 31st, 2017, 01:16 PM
Ninja'd!

I missed the Razor Coast kickstarter, but was very excited to see that it would be available as a RW stretch goal!

Silveras
January 31st, 2017, 02:11 PM
Then my memory's fuzzy.. which is why I usually make myself look up and verify the "facts" as I remember them. I cancel more posts that way...

AEIOU
January 31st, 2017, 04:09 PM
It's all good. I'm a FGG fan so it was a sharp memory for me. Wish it was 5e rather than PF but I'll convert it easily enough.

Maidhc O Casain
January 31st, 2017, 05:38 PM
Now if only we knew when it'll actually get here...

Bidmaron
January 31st, 2017, 05:43 PM
The silence is deafening.

Galymyr
January 31st, 2017, 05:46 PM
Yea, it's been oddly silent. I think the last real update was that there were some technical problems with thier Partners who were doing the initial set of content which delayed the content market until January. Does anyone remember anything more recent than that?

Maidhc O Casain
January 31st, 2017, 07:19 PM
The announced order of release was, IIRC, free stuff for everyone, then Kickstarter stretch stuff, then content market (including the ability to purchase the Kickstarter stuff).

I know Rob's illness set things back.

I don't usually make posts about my impatience (in fact I think this my first), but I'd really like to hear something about this...

rob
February 1st, 2017, 05:21 AM
The rollout sequence we announced was as follows...

1. Export/Import functionality
2. Deliver free content
3. Start to deliver Kickstarter content
4. Launch the Content Market

This is a sequence, where each stage requires the previous one to be in solid shape before we proceed with the next one. The reason for that is simple. Each of these stages relies upon the previous one in various ways, often significant, so they build upon each other.

We still have a number of issues we've been working hard to resolve with all the import/export logic. A few of them are extremely complicated things that you guys have come up with and that we never thought of. Once those are all sorted out, we'll be able to shift our focus to the next stage and finish up the remaining pieces to deliver the free content to everyone. We have a bug fix release going out on Wednesday, but it looks like the remaining import stuff will spill into next week. I'll get you all an update on the free content delivery once we're actually underway on putting THOSE final pieces into place (sometime next week).

Now it's time for me to finally get some sleep (it's 6:20am here)...

Maidhc O Casain
February 1st, 2017, 05:42 AM
Thanks, Rob!

Zaphod Beebledoc
February 1st, 2017, 05:52 AM

Probably for the best. After all we don't want the Razor Coast, et al, to consist of Zzzzzzz's. :p;)

Thanks, Rob!

Seconded!

Grey Mage
February 1st, 2017, 09:08 AM
Thirded! Errr... Seconded plus one. You know what I mean.

Tharmiones
February 1st, 2017, 11:00 PM
Looks like it was a good thing to not include any year in the announcement about the timeline for the release plan.

gaffneyks
February 3rd, 2017, 05:56 AM
Looks like it was a good thing to not include any year in the announcement about the timeline for the release plan.

Granted they have come nowhere near meeting the dates they have talked about, they have been talking about this since Gen Con or longer.

It is probably a positive that they are focusing on Quality instead of rushing to meet a deadline or arbitrary date thrown out there. Too many IT companies just focus on dates and release half-functional products.

The content market is a pretty big step and they need to get it right, nothing would doom this product more than going live and having people not able to use content they purchased because they rushed the release date and went live with major bugs.

Galymyr
February 3rd, 2017, 12:56 PM
Granted they have come nowhere near meeting the dates they have talked about, they have been talking about this since Gen Con or longer.

It is probably a positive that they are focusing on Quality instead of rushing to meet a deadline or arbitrary date thrown out there. Too many IT companies just focus on dates and release half-functional products.

The content market is a pretty big step and they need to get it right, nothing would doom this product more than going live and having people not able to use content they purchased because they rushed the release date and went live with major bugs.

This! It's still mind boggleingly frustrating because I'm sooooooo excited about this. I've only been a Realm Works users for a few months, I can't even imagine the anticipation some of you must be feeling. Slow and steady wins the race, keep up the good work Rob and team! Just keep throwing us bones every once in awhile, like a pricing structure maybe? ;)

Galymyr
March 4th, 2017, 08:08 AM
The rollout sequence we announced was as follows...

1. Export/Import functionality
2. Deliver free content
3. Start to deliver Kickstarter content
4. Launch the Content Market

This is a sequence, where each stage requires the previous one to be in solid shape before we proceed with the next one. The reason for that is simple. Each of these stages relies upon the previous one in various ways, often significant, so they build upon each other.

We still have a number of issues we've been working hard to resolve with all the import/export logic. A few of them are extremely complicated things that you guys have come up with and that we never thought of. Once those are all sorted out, we'll be able to shift our focus to the next stage and finish up the remaining pieces to deliver the free content to everyone. We have a bug fix release going out on Wednesday, but it looks like the remaining import stuff will spill into next week. I'll get you all an update on the free content delivery once we're actually underway on putting THOSE final pieces into place (sometime next week).

Hey Rob, I went through and read all your posts back to this point and I was unable To locate any new updates on step 2 in the sequence. Since it's been a month I thought it might be worth checking in again and seeing if there was any news. Thanks!

AEIOU
March 4th, 2017, 11:41 AM
We've had several updates to the backend and client over the last several weeks. We are still on step 1 of the sequence Rob presented. Until the game stopping bugs are resolved, we won't move on to step 2 which may introduce a whole new set of headaches. We'll be getting close I think after the patch that allows deletion/modification of source documents is released.

Galymyr
March 4th, 2017, 12:51 PM
Oops, I found an update. The February newsletter said we should have received the content in step 2 the week of 13 February.

Any indication on the number of game stopping bugs introduced by step 1 and what the resolution status for each is?

wurzel
March 4th, 2017, 04:17 PM
You may have noticed that the world premiere of LWD delivering at the promised date had to be postponed...
But yes, there were a number of new releases so it's probably still in stage 1 of Rob's plan.

AEIOU
March 4th, 2017, 06:22 PM
I recommend seeking zen master training to develop god-like patience. We've been waiting for the Market and KS materials for years. Smile, breathe, use RW to its fullest today, and know that LWD will release material when it is ready. Dates are ballpark goals at the best.

gaffneyks
March 4th, 2017, 10:17 PM
I would try to set realistic expectations. Like March of 2018 instead of March of 2017. It will probably be delayed till April of 2018 due to finding a last second bug in the flux capacitor, but we can still hope.

Silveras
March 5th, 2017, 08:17 AM
They're kind of stuck.

Giving a specific date without having a ready-to-release build in-hand is asking for delays and disappointment of the community.
"Soon" has worn out its welcome, largely.
NOT giving any signs of progress, or indications that release is near, makes people assume it is vaporware and never going to happen.

Dark Lord Galen
March 5th, 2017, 10:40 AM
They're kind of stuck.

Giving a specific date without having a ready-to-release build in-hand is asking for delays and disappointment of the community.
NOT giving any signs of progress, or indications that release is near, makes people assume it is vaporware and never going to happen.

Well Put Silvaras....

I would only add that we are lead to "believe" that the tasks are "too complex to put a plan to".... which I have stated MANY times on my opinion of that approach... so I will leave that alone.... mostly.

Suffice to say this is a niche program to support a game, not rocket science (which did in fact create a "plan" to go to the moon and back with what, by today's standards of technology, would be equal to a modern coffeepot.:eek:). Granted the size of the companies, and budgets differ, but so does the scale of the work....:D

The reality is LWD are great visionaries (as many have also said) that have a tiger by the tail without a real plan to tame it. So they do the best they can, with the resources at hand, let the cards fall where they may and make corrections where they must when they arise.

We all have wants, needs, desires and wishes.. but the fact is without an economic injection to keep RW solvent (ie the content market) the chances of RW turning into "vaporware" (great wording there BTW) is very real. So even without being said (repeatedly) their "plan" is to get the market viable...

I personally am unlikely to support anything economically from the market. But I do recognize others may have a use for its content, and more importantly, LW need for it..

I don't like it for many reasons,,,, but I don't have to like it to understand the need for it, and for LWD's long term survivability of the program....

So, soon will arrive when it gets here... and when it does, it will no doubt have bugs,be repaired, and the world shall spin on...

Use what you can, where you can, or step away and save yourself .. because in all likelihood.......
"these aren't the realms you're looking for...... move along,,,, move along......."
http://forums.wolflair.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5052&stc=1&d=1488742119

just my2cp
DLG

Patiently (sort of hehe) waiting the arrival of PC Journals, and CALENDARS

AEIOU
March 5th, 2017, 11:57 AM
They're kind of stuck.

The solution appears to split the community into three forums. When you sign up for a forum account, there's a brief Q&A which will then grant access to the appropriate forum for you:

#1 gets dates that may slip and semi-frequent information.
#2 gets nothing.
#3 gets quarterly updates and time-frames +/- 6 months.

dentaa
March 6th, 2017, 07:27 AM

As a software developer I can assure you, the best delivery date is "when its ready" but unfortunately clients don't want to hear that. So yes, I give two +1's to the above sentiment. I don't need something that is a headache to use, its supposed to streamline RPGs.. so Rob, please take your time.. :)

MNBlockHead
March 6th, 2017, 11:11 PM
The solution appears to split the community into three forums. When you sign up for a forum account, there's a brief Q&A which will then grant access to the appropriate forum for you:

#1 gets dates that may slip and semi-frequent information.
#2 gets nothing.
#3 gets quarterly updates and time-frames +/- 6 months.

Can we have a fourth option?

#4 all news and discussions about future releases and development status are banned.

I want to join that fourth forum.