PDA

View Full Version : Two Groups, One Realm: Not Possible?

Dayspire
January 23rd, 2017, 05:50 AM
So I am gearing up for a new campaign for my two gaming groups. One of them is local, and one we game through various on-line tools. I purchased Realm Works with the idea that it would be great not only for the creation and organization of my world, but also as a way to easily disseminate the information to the players as well. I will be purchasing a player license for each player. But during my creation phase I ran into anissue, and I'm hoping someone can suggest something to fix it.

Both groups will be in the same city - Los Angeles, specifically. This is a Mutants and Masterminds game. One group is going to be playing super-villains, and one will be super-heroes (perhaps at the campaign end, they might face each other, but that is not the main thrust of the game).

Obviously, they will share most of the same world - the map, police, FBI, media, etc - are all the same.

But... not everything. The super-criminals group will meet NPC's that the super-heroes will never meet, and vice versa. The storylines will be completely different. My obvious question is this - how can I reveal some information to some players, but not others?

The only obvious answer I can think is to create the 'world' of Los Angeles as fully as I can, filling it with all the NPC's I think I'll use; make a copy of the realm for the second group; and keep the two realms separate.

While obvious, this will only work in the short term. I can that I will need to do a lot of copy and pasting from one world to the other as the campaign progresses, as I create content that is shared. Painful, sure.

Is there any other option that anyone can think of to prevent this? Has there ever been thought to having the ability to reveal information to only certain players/groups?

(Also, I think DM's should be able to see player notes, it would be perfect for a player-made journal for everyone to see and contribute to..!)

I

Parody
January 23rd, 2017, 06:08 AM
Make a base realm where you'll do your world building.
Make two more realms, one for each play group. (All three realms should share the same Game System.)
Export and import the base realm into each group's realm.
Now you can reveal things separately to each group. If you need to make changes that are shared, do them in the source realm and export/import into the play ones to update them.

The feature you were describing (where items are revealed for each player) has been requested quite a bit. Try searching for 'individual player reveal'.

Silveras
January 23rd, 2017, 08:06 AM
Per-character control of revealed information is planned for the future, but is not available now (and there is no specific time-frame other than "future" at this time).