PDA

View Full Version : ETA on web-based player view?

Merion
January 23rd, 2017, 01:33 AM
I know, everyone at lonewolf has their hands full with the content market release and everything that's connected to this.

I just wanted to ask, where this is in the list of priorities? Will this be the next big thing they tackle after the content market? Or are there other things coming first?

For me personally, this is what I'm waiting for since I bought RW. So I thought I'll bring it up, maybe others are waiting too.

daplunk
January 23rd, 2017, 01:39 AM
Aye my players would love this. They have just started using the player version but it's an inconvenience for them. Web would open the tool up completely for them.

Silveras
January 23rd, 2017, 07:52 AM
Based on prior comments from LW:

Until the Content Market is done, nothing else "major" has been scheduled.
Once the Content Market is done and released, a new survey will be conducted of the users.
The survey will help decide what is "next"
Small things will continue to be tackled as the development team has time between tasks for the next "big thing".

Merion
January 24th, 2017, 12:23 AM
Aye my players would love this. They have just started using the player version but it's an inconvenience for them. Web would open the tool up completely for them.

Couldn't convince my players to use the player version so far. I wouldn't want them all to sit with laptops at the game table anyway.

Based on prior comments from LW:

Until the Content Market is done, nothing else "major" has been scheduled.
Once the Content Market is done and released, a new survey will be conducted of the users.
The survey will help decide what is "next"
Small things will continue to be tackled as the development team has time between tasks for the next "big thing".

Sounds sensible from their point of view. Seems like I have to launch a web view campaign once the survey starts ;-)

Farling
January 24th, 2017, 03:04 PM
Couldn't convince my players to use the player version so far. I wouldn't want them all to sit with laptops at the game table anyway.

They wouldn't be doing that with the player version. The player version is for reference away from the game, rather than during the game.

ShadowChemosh
January 24th, 2017, 03:57 PM
They wouldn't be doing that with the player version. The player version is for reference away from the game, rather than during the game.
Why not? I have a player that uses a laptop and RW player at the game table. Yes he can't see "new" stuff I revealed but it's a great tool to remember that NPC from 5 sessions ago. Or to view an overland map, town map, or any map really. Plus who remembers the exact words for the "dying" speech of the priest from 4 months ago. :p

Some look outside of game but its still a great tool to help with at a game. :) Saves me the time of answering dozens of questions. And anything that makes my DM job easier is a great in book.

Redjack
January 24th, 2017, 04:06 PM
Why not? I have a player that uses a laptop and RW player at the game table.Ditto. We have a games that have been going on for a year+. There are times they want to look back at NPC's and former adventures for the details their characters know. And the "In-Play" and "Spell" tabs in Hero Labs are beloved by several players at our table.

Silveras
January 24th, 2017, 05:52 PM
Farling means, I think, that it is not for live reveals during a game.. too cumbersome. For referencing past revealed data, though... that's what ShadowChemosh is talking about.

EightBitz
January 25th, 2017, 10:24 AM
Temporary work around, if you have your own web site:

Export your realm with the "Compact Output" option, and check the box to only export revealed content.

Use my script to convert that to HTML.

Post that HTML file on your web site.

It's not the same as having an interactive hierarchy with linked topics, but it's something.

Merion
January 26th, 2017, 05:27 AM
Well, I'll give it a shot and see how the html looks like.

Still, would be nice to know if it is worthwhile to spend time and effort for workarounds and maybe tinker with the html to mimic a wiki like look and feel or if we will see something official soon anyway.

sedmeister
January 29th, 2017, 08:39 PM
Hi, I accidentally started another thread on this subject as I thought the forum user join date was the comment post date. So I thought this thread was a few years old. Here's what I put in that thread...

Basically, I need some concrete details on Web View for Realm Works.

I am kicking off two campaigns as GM this month, one for a physical group and one for a virtual group.

Murphy's Law dictates so of course the remote group are all MAC users. The local group use Windows but none of them a) have laptops and b) all use a combination of Android and iOS tablets.

We were planning on using Realm Works in between game times to keep up to date on world lore and journal entries. So at the moment, whilst Realm Works is awesome for me as GM (I have purchased the full version), it is next to useless for the players.

Seeing as we are about to kick off for the year, I have an honest question, when will Web View be ready? With a honest answer, I can decide to spring for a few months or a years subscription to City of Brass instead.

Yours sincerely looking for an honest answer so I can plan my year!