PDA

View Full Version : Organization

BigSkyRPG
January 17th, 2017, 08:20 AM
So after watching videos from several of the users on here, I'm still trying to decide the on the best way to organize Article content in the Mechanics Reference.

For instance, lets focus just on Dangers/Creatures. DAPlunk recommends creating source entries and then organizing them by source (Monster Manual, Tome of beasts, etc.). You can then browse to the source to find your manual.

Is there a way to catalog your Dangers/Creatures by putting them all in alphabetical order and then creating tags for the source and any other tags that I would want to search by?

For instance, run a search on Monster Manual tag to return all monsters from that source. Run a search on undead tag, to return a list of all undead monsters?

I'm still learning Realm Works and I want to decide upon a consistent strategy before I start inputting everything.

Thanks for any comments, in advance!

Bidmaron
January 17th, 2017, 02:46 PM
This is wrong subforum for that. Belongs in discussion sub forum

daplunk
January 17th, 2017, 02:51 PM
There's a few ways to do this. I'm still happy with putting everything under the book. What I would do if I did it again (which i will) is to tag all the creatures with the following:

Source Book
Creature Type
Create Environment
CR Level
Etc, etc

Then you can search on tags and basically search on anything you want to.

Silveras
January 17th, 2017, 03:10 PM
Organizing by book is one choice.. but if you want all related things (which may be added through multiple books) in one list (such as Feats or Spells for D&D and Pathfinder), then organizing by book is not as desirable. Indeed.. the Paizo "Pathfinder Reference Document" can be considered one "book" with the contents of multiple volumes in it. While the on-line version is broken out by book.. it is an extra hassle sometimes to need to remember which book a Feat or Spell was introduced in... it is easier to have an alphabetical list of them consolidating all books.

Note: The D&D and Pathfinder spell lists put "Greater X" and "Improved X" spells with the main name (ex. "Lesser Planar Binding" is listed as "Planar Binding, Lesser"). Providing both versions with the "Manage Names" functionality works well until you group them in "A", "B", "C" topics in the navigation hierarchy. Because the aliases all ed up under the parent, "Lesser Planar Binding" is not found under "L", but is under "P" if you put "Planar Binding, Lesser" there .. although it will sort to the top of all the "P" entries.

BigSkyRPG
January 17th, 2017, 03:11 PM
This is wrong subforum for that. Belongs in discussion sub forum

Thanks for the heads up; a moderator had to approve the post, before it was posted; I assume he could have moved it. I don't see a way to do this on my end though.

daplunk
January 17th, 2017, 03:13 PM
Moderators approve posts?

ShadowChemosh
January 17th, 2017, 03:14 PM
Moderators approve posts?
First post you ever do on the forums have to be approved. This cuts down on the spam bots. Once that is done you are free to post with out approval.

daplunk
January 17th, 2017, 03:19 PM
You know what i think i remember that...

BigSkyRPG
January 17th, 2017, 03:19 PM
There's a few ways to do this. I'm still happy with putting everything under the book. What I would do if I did it again (which i will) is to tag all the creatures with the following:

Source Book
Creature Type
Create Environment
CR Level
Etc, etc

Then you can search on tags and basically search on anything you want to.

Thanks for the reply, btw your videos are great. I know that RW will auto link your content so that in and of itself is cosmically awesome; however, I can see myself using rw to also prep encounters and research, etc., in addition to creating a world atlas. Therefore, I would imagine I should just tag everything by how I would search, etc.

Creating your own tags, etc.. is ok for importing/exporting correct?

You don't see any other drawbacks other than what was mentioned by organizing alphabetically, do you?

daplunk
January 17th, 2017, 03:22 PM
You can specifically export the game system settings so it should work. What system are you using?

BigSkyRPG
January 17th, 2017, 03:29 PM
You can specifically export the game system settings so it should work. What system are you using?

Primarily D&D5e and then thinking of imputing Shadows of Esteren as well.

daplunk
January 17th, 2017, 03:32 PM
Ok my suggestion would be to take a look at the way they have setup the 5e game system currently and even consider waiting. They have announced that large changes are coming to the 5e game system in the next 1-2 weeks. This could change the answer for you.

BigSkyRPG
January 17th, 2017, 03:34 PM
Ok my suggestion would be to take a look at the way they have setup the 5e game system currently and even consider waiting. They have announced that large changes are coming to the 5e game system in the next 1-2 weeks. This could change the answer for you.

Ok thanks bro. I was just reading that huge post from Rob in the other forum where he was discussing this. I think I will resist the urge and wait a little bit.

MNBlockHead
January 17th, 2017, 10:59 PM
I just put all my monsters in alpha order under dangers. I use tags to sort by type, challenge rating, environment, and other attributes that I find important.

Same with spells.

I find that I do a lot more categorization by foldering in with topics than I do with articles. I just browse, search, and reference them differently.

BigSkyRPG
January 18th, 2017, 05:51 AM
I just put all my monsters in alpha order under dangers. I use tags to sort by type, challenge rating, environment, and other attributes that I find important.

Same with spells.

I find that I do a lot more categorization by foldering in with topics than I do with articles. I just browse, search, and reference them differently.

Did you structure them under a main topic like A,B,C,D,E, etc.. or did you name them so they all are ordered alphabetically in one long list?

MNBlockHead
January 18th, 2017, 10:54 AM
Did you structure them under a main topic like A,B,C,D,E, etc.. or did you name them so they all are ordered alphabetically in one long list?

One long list. I do use aliases so for some the same monster may appear more than once in the list. Like Eye of Grummsh will also appear as Orc - Eye of Grummsh.

If I start importing the entire MM, Volo's Guide, Kobold Press's Tome of Beasts, etc. (assuming I can buy from the content market), I may want to create contains: Beasts A, Beasts B, Beasts C... etc. Just so I don't have to scrool so much. Then again, that is what search is for. :-)

mazzy
January 18th, 2017, 11:30 AM
The long lists type of layout is one thing that gets my OCD twitch going, lol. My preference is having everything organized within containers and if need be, sub-containers. I organize that way more for aesthetics, I like seeing my topics/articles in a compact format.

There's really no "right" way of organizing your information, I've had to change my strategy several times and I'm sure I'll end up changing it many more times until I find what works for me. Though, I am super grateful to all those who shared their videos with us, as they gave me an insight into how others do things and good starting points. If not for those videos, I'd probably still have an empty realm :eek:

kbs666
January 18th, 2017, 01:00 PM
For something like an orc specific prestige class I either wouldn't have an entry at all, too much work, or if I intended to have the PC's encounter a lot of orcs I'd have it be contained by the orc topic.

daplunk
January 18th, 2017, 01:05 PM
You know... If I was to remove all the content... I'm pretty sure we could get away with sharing the articles with just the names. This would save people a fair bit of work.

As far as monsters go I have the following entered:

MM, Volo's, Fifth Edition Foes and Tome of Beasts

MNBlockHead
January 18th, 2017, 02:51 PM
The long lists type of layout is one thing that gets my OCD twitch going, lol. My preference is having everything organized within containers and if need be, sub-containers. I organize that way more for aesthetics, I like seeing my topics/articles in a compact format.

Ah, if you really want to scratch that OCD itch, use tags. :-)

With something like monsters, once you have hundred of them, no amount of foldering is going to be satisfactory. You'll use search to pull them up by name or will want to filter by CR, type, environment, etc.

MNBlockHead
January 18th, 2017, 02:52 PM
For something like an orc specific prestige class I either wouldn't have an entry at all, too much work, or if I intended to have the PC's encounter a lot of orcs I'd have it be contained by the orc topic.

Actually, I have ONE orc article with all varients contained in sections for that article. But I apply multiple names for that article so that that the various orc types appear in the list of monsters and autolink to the orc article.

daplunk
January 18th, 2017, 03:02 PM
I just have Orc and then have the Hero Lab Portfolio contain a heap of Orc options. At time of import I just pick a selection of what I want to make the fight interesting.

MNBlockHead
January 18th, 2017, 04:28 PM
I just have Orc and then have the Hero Lab Portfolio contain a heap of Orc options. At time of import I just pick a selection of what I want to make the fight interesting.

i don't create articles for most monsters, but orcs are a major part of the campaign, so I have the states, flavor text from the MM, plus campaign-specific info. But if I can buy all the monsters articles from the content market for Tome of Beasts, Volos, and the MM, I'd definitely do so.

mazzy
January 19th, 2017, 09:47 AM
You know... If I was to remove all the content... I'm pretty sure we could get away with sharing the articles with just the names. This would save people a fair bit of work.

As far as monsters go I have the following entered:

MM, Volo's, Fifth Edition Foes and Tome of Beasts

That would be super awesome if it's something that we can do without crossing any legal lines :)

Ah, if you really want to scratch that OCD itch, use tags. :-)

With something like monsters, once you have hundred of them, no amount of foldering is going to be satisfactory. You'll use search to pull them up by name or will want to filter by CR, type, environment, etc.

Nyoooooo! :eek: There MUST be BEAUTIFUL ORDER!!! :p

I suppose I should start looking at how I want to tag things, but I'm kinda waiting for the 5e structure update just to see how they have things set up. I think what I'm going to do is map out how I want things organized, as in what works for me and my DM'ing style, and then compare to the official 5e stuff and go from there. I just need to remind myself not to get too caught up with it, maybe I'll setup a lil zapper to help with that :D

Tompa974
January 25th, 2017, 02:47 AM
Regarding organization I am in the midst of deciding on how I want to organize my World Almanac. I can't decide whether making cast lists for all people, or to nest them where they currently are located.

My OCD problem is that I loose my visual organization if I make these long, long cast lists. I can, as an example, make a Sub cast list (People of the North - People of Waterdeep) to create some organization, but it still will be a long, long list. I'll have to use search if I want to find someone, which is ok I guess as the lists gets bigger.

Having Cast lists and use relationships is stronger, but I can't get over that I like the idea of nesting.

How are you guys doing?

Strategon
January 25th, 2017, 11:08 AM
Regarding organization I am in the midst of deciding on how I want to organize my World Almanac. I can't decide whether making cast lists for all people, or to nest them where they currently are located.

My OCD problem is that I loose my visual organization if I make these long, long cast lists. I can, as an example, make a Sub cast list (People of the North - People of Waterdeep) to create some organization, but it still will be a long, long list. I'll have to use search if I want to find someone, which is ok I guess as the lists gets bigger.

Having Cast lists and use relationships is stronger, but I can't get over that I like the idea of nesting.

How are you guys doing?

I make cast lists for everything I need and leave all my cast lists in the cast list section. Resist the urge to nest everything and just link to the cast list from within your content where and when you need to.

It's tempting to create one big nested hierarchy so you can just see it all in one view; however, it becomes way to large and has a negative effect of seeing too much in one view.

Learn to rely on the fantastic linking system. Create the skeleton of your content first, then as you fill in the details you get the autolinking. The main reason for doing it this way is so that you can enter in an individual once and use it multiple places. One particular individual in a cast list could be used in multiple locations, scenes, etc. You don't want to have to move them around because your are using a location based hierarchy.

Acenoid
January 27th, 2017, 11:59 PM
I sort them by certain types and then by name.
Within each monster, I add a shortcut text that links to a text. E.g. [CR] for Critter Compendium. Within the Tag Domains I setup the various books and set them on automatic. I hope that one day these links will be found automatically.

Right now an additional scan via the wrench clear and add content tags is necessary.

Alternatively I just add a normal tag.

Also I begun to add a TOC for each book which have been added as Source topics. From there the topics will link to each book as well.

Still to decide which method works best.

Auto Accepting snippet tags would be the best :)