PDA

View Full Version : So I broke it already

Agyess
January 13th, 2017, 11:32 PM
I can't Import one of my own realms to a new realm because it doesn't recognize the game system that the original is made from. Even the system neutral and other both fail.

The following errors were encountered during import:

Encountered validation error for the import XML: The 'text_role' attribute is invalid - The value 'Abbreviation' is invalid according to its datatype 'urn:lonewolfdevel.com:realm-works-export:text_role' - The Enumeration constraint failed.

Cannot assign domain from different game system

daplunk
January 13th, 2017, 11:44 PM
Make sure you submit the crash report and log a fault.

rob
January 14th, 2017, 12:04 AM
Please open a support case. If possible, send us a copy of your database and details on which realm you exported and were then importing into. If that's not possible, at least send us your import file. You can provide us with a link to these items within the tech support case. We'll take a look and strive to isolate the problem, then get a fix out for it.

rob
January 14th, 2017, 12:06 AM
Also, it sounds like you are importing material from one game system into a realm for another game system. Please try importing the same file into a realm of the original game system to verify for us that the root issue stems from the combination of import AND game system conversion together. That will help us narrow down the problem space.

Thanks!

Agyess
January 14th, 2017, 12:30 AM
Thats what it thinks, but i've tried every variation... my original realm doesn't seem to be any of the recognized realm types.

edit: So I tried to make a copy of the original realm (success) then tried to import the file over the top and it still errored out.

edit 2: so I found the game system conversion tool so we'll if this fixes things...

Agyess
January 14th, 2017, 01:33 AM
That didnt work either, bug report sent and files made available for dl

tkarn
January 14th, 2017, 01:36 AM
I have the same problem. My realm has the game system "Legacy". It is from the beginning, when the gamesystem was not choosable.
Now I wanted to convert it to "Other" or "Pathfinder". After 99% of converting the programm crashes. I send the automatic errorreport to you.

Agyess
January 14th, 2017, 01:41 AM
i converted to system neutral and the conversion seemed to work. (a few tags got changed into labeled snippets but nothing tha seemed major). But the import/export mechanic still failed.

kbs666
January 14th, 2017, 02:10 AM
Crashed RW on my first experiment importing a realm.

Tried exporting my main realm, which is from when I bought RW long before there were game system specific options, which worked fine. Then tried to import into a completely empty PF realm. Crash to desktop with Object reference not set to an instance of an object"

daplunk
January 14th, 2017, 02:13 AM
You have to import a realm of the same system. Don't forget there is the option to change the game system in the settings of the realm.

kbs666
January 14th, 2017, 02:25 AM
You have to import a realm of the same system. Don't forget there is the option to change the game system in the settings of the realm.

Maybe I like my realm the way it is, having spent quite a lot of time customizing it, and am not terribly interested in having it changed top to bottom to fit with someone else's view of what it should look like.

So I'm permanently locked out of PF content or pretty much all shared content?

If a realm can be converted between systems why not do it on import rather than forcing players to change their old realms, the people who have stuck with RW for years through thick and thin, to get the content we've been promised?

daplunk
January 14th, 2017, 02:30 AM
In that scenario I would do the following...

Create a new PF realm. Import the PF content. Change that realm to match the game system used by your realm. Export the content in the new game system format. Import the new export into your realm.

kbs666
January 14th, 2017, 02:32 AM
legacy is not a conversion option.

daplunk
January 14th, 2017, 02:40 AM
No legacy has been removed. You want to pick something and move away from Legacy.

Sounds like you want to move to Other or System Neutral.

It's something we all had to do.

It should have the option for a backup. Do that to maintain confidence.

kbs666
January 14th, 2017, 02:49 AM
i converted to system neutral and the conversion seemed to work. (a few tags got changed into labeled snippets but nothing tha seemed major). But the import/export mechanic still failed.
^
I'm not interested in trying something that randomly changes tags into other snippets. I use tags a lot and use them to find stuff.

Agyess
January 14th, 2017, 02:53 AM
so, I have another legacy realm (it has all of like 6 topics). I can export that one and it converts to the new system on import. It even imports into the now system neutral version of the realm that can't export.

I also as an experiment tried importing the structure from my main realm (after conversion) to a new realm of the same system and that failed too!

rob
January 14th, 2017, 03:20 AM
The following are some important thoughts on various aspects of what's going on and, in some cases, for which there seems to be some confusion...

The "Legacy" game system has been eliminated. It has been replaced with "Other", which is almost exactly the same thing. There are only a few small differences between "Legacy" and "Other". The "Legacy" game system was what everybody had from the beginning, and "Other" is what the standard has now become for anything that isn't a very specific game system structure (i.e. Pathfinder, D&D 5E, or Savage Worlds).

You are NOT required to convert your realm to a specific game system. You can absolutely leave it the way you've got it tailored. That's the whole POINT beyond Realm Works - getting things exactly the way YOU like them. Game system conversion will allow users to fully embrace a formal structure that very closely matches a published game system. There are many users out there that want this. But that's ELECTIVE. The import logic incorporates the game system conversion logic so that content created with game system structure X can be imported into a realm that employs game system structure Y. Unfortunately, it seems there is a glitch in that logic that is plaguing at least a few folks at this point.

When you convert to "System Neutral", that's a completely different animal. The objective behind System Neutral is for someone who wants their material to be guaranteed to import into any other game system structure. As such, converting TO System Neutral will fundamentally throw away information that will often be wanted. The primary thing that gets thrown away is tags that exist for a given game system, but do NOT exist across ALL game systems. So I would always recommend AGAINST converting TO System Neutral, unless your plan on sharing content that is intentionally highly generic to work for ALL game systems.

I need to check with David regarding the situation with Legacy realms. It was my belief that all Legacy realms have been converted to Other now. It sounds like that may not be the case for some realms, which might still be reporting as Legacy. That may be meaningful and the source of a bug that we can readily fix. It may also be just a cosmetic thing where the name is reporting as Legacy still but the realm is actually behaving as Other. I won't know until I can talk to him about this. However, we're definitely going to be working to get things figured out and fixed as quickly as possible.

It definitely sounds like there is something amiss when combining both import AND game system conversion. Importing is complicated. Game system conversion is complicated. Weaving them both together is, well, complicated times complicated - read: ugly. So that's where it appears we'll be focusing our efforts this weekend. :)

For those of you who have run into issues, please send us as much material as possible to help us get to the bottom of what's going wrong. We'll be doing our best to get the issues investigated and solved - as quickly as possible this weekend.

Thanks!!!

kbs666
January 14th, 2017, 03:37 AM
All my old realms are Legacy. I tried converting one I didn't care about to Other. It reported some rather drastic changes.

I have submitted a bug report on the failure to import my legacy realm into an empty PF realm. I can send you the XML file if that will help. Just tell me where you want it.

rob
January 14th, 2017, 03:53 AM
All my old realms are Legacy. I tried converting one I didn't care about to Other. It reported some rather drastic changes.

:eek:

I have submitted a bug report on the failure to import my legacy realm into an empty PF realm. I can send you the XML file if that will help. Just tell me where you want it.

If you can post it on Dropbox or any other resource you choose to use, that would be great. Then include a link to that location in your support ticket. We can pull it down and take a closer look at it.

Thanks, Rob

rob
January 14th, 2017, 04:22 AM
I have been able to reproduce a crash when importing a Legacy realm into an Other game system realm. I've gleaned some details of what's going wrong and relayed them to David. He's the expert on the import logic, so he'll need to take it from here. I expect he'll be up and investigating this in a few hours.

eponette
January 14th, 2017, 05:45 AM
I'm confused.

I don't remember in which game system I created my realms. A neutral one as at is Call of Cthulhu and Runequest/Glorantha games.

How can I see in which game system iti s on? And how to change it?

Thanks

rob
January 14th, 2017, 05:53 AM
I'm confused.

I don't remember in which game system I created my realms. A neutral one as at is Call of Cthulhu and Runequest/Glorantha games.

How can I see in which game system iti s on? And how to change it?

Thanks

Click on the Manage menu at the top to show the Manage ribbon bar. Then click on the Realm button at the far left to manage your realm.

Once there, click on the General button down the left edge to view the general details about your realm. It will show you the game system that the realm is based upon.

If you want to change the game system, click on the Game System button down the left edge. You'll see the option to convert to a new game system there.

Hope this helps!

Avi
January 14th, 2017, 06:07 AM
Thanks for the instructions...

My realm is also "Legacy" - any way to convert to "Other"?
Should I convert?

It might be a good test case as its really tiny, so easy to manipulate.

Oh - and it does NOT show up in the General tab...

kbs666
January 14th, 2017, 06:26 AM
Go to Manage->Realm-> Game system

Directly under where it says legacy you should see a drop box labeled "change game system to:" choose Other from the list and press the button.

kad
January 14th, 2017, 07:09 AM
I just had a full crash (crash report submitted) trying to import a small (1 list, 2 topics) export from one Legacy type realm to another Legacy type realm. And now when I try to sync the realm the export came from, I get a Sync Failure. The only changes I made to the export realm were the addition of the export definition and the adding of an export tag via bulk tag.

-K

eponette
January 14th, 2017, 07:11 AM
Same problem: I converted from Legacy to system neutral. Exported. Then tried to import it in a System neutral realm. Same error

The following errors were encountered during import:

Encountered validation error for the import XML: The 'text_role' attribute is invalid - The value 'Abbreviation' is invalid according to its datatype 'urn:lonewolfdevel.com:realm-works-export:text_role' - The Enumeration constraint failed.

Parody
January 14th, 2017, 07:28 AM
I need to check with David regarding the situation with Legacy realms. It was my belief that all Legacy realms have been converted to Other now.
FWIW: none of my existing realms (from before adding the Game System concept to public builds) have been changed from Legacy. This is whether or not I've done "Fixup Realm For Export".

kad
January 14th, 2017, 07:42 AM
FWIW: none of my existing realms (from before adding the Game System concept to public builds) have been changed from Legacy. This is whether or not I've done "Fixup Realm For Export".

Same here, all my realms are Legacy.

-K

Parody
January 14th, 2017, 07:57 AM
In case anyone's wondering what you're going to see even when all goes well, this is the result text I got from converting a realm with almost no content from Legacy to Other:

The following considerations arose during game system conversion...
All game-focused article categories were converted to generic equivalents
Domain 'Race':
One or more tags from the old game system were created for the new game system
Domain 'Class/Role':
One or more tags from the old game system were created for the new game system
Category 'Scene':
Snippet type 'Challenge': No mapping for tag domain 'Challenge Rating'

This realm has no Scenes, but it does have an Individual (so it uses Race and Class but not CR).

Agyess
January 15th, 2017, 06:49 AM
After .225 update still having issues. Updated the support ticket w/ new copy of realm and other files

but basically one version of realm won't export at all, the other exports but the resultant file won't import to another realm.

thanks for looking at it.

tkarn
January 15th, 2017, 10:53 PM
After installing .225 I have still the same issues.
I'm in contact with the support and send my master.realm to the support.

rob
January 16th, 2017, 01:29 AM
Thanks for the instructions...

My realm is also "Legacy" - any way to convert to "Other"?
Should I convert?

It might be a good test case as its really tiny, so easy to manipulate.

Oh - and it does NOT show up in the General tab...

For thoughts on whether you SHOULD convert, please see this other thread:
http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=57424

It was supposed to be shown in the General tab. It's not. I'll be informing the team to get that rectified. Sorry for the misinformation. :(

rob
January 16th, 2017, 01:33 AM

Yep. I was wrong. The original plan was to do it, but there was a good technical reason for not having done it, and there was no NEED to convert everyone's realm. I just spaced on that. Sorry.

I blame being sick!!! :)

No, damn it! It's NOT age. It's NOT! It's NOT!

Sorry, just channeling my inner three-year-old for a moment. Oh wait, that's an age thing, too, isn't it? Crap!

Yes, I'm tired and punchy. Thanks for being patient with me. :)

rob
January 16th, 2017, 01:37 AM
@Agyess and @tkarn: There are still a few bugs left, and your situations are definitely prominent on our list. David and I spent multiple hours investigating what's going on with the realm of @Agyess today. We'll be putting out another bug fix release tomorrow (Monday). Our goal is to get these issues resolved for inclusion in that release. Fingers crossed. :)

Oh, and thank you for your patience!!

tkarn
January 16th, 2017, 01:47 AM
I have a lot of patience and you make a great job.

Agyess
January 17th, 2017, 05:24 PM
Seems like its work for me know!

Thanks for the fast work!

adzling
December 20th, 2017, 07:18 AM
im getting the same problem agyess had.

bug report submitted.

adzling
December 20th, 2017, 10:15 AM
Edit: realm still crashing on import for some reason...