PDA

View Full Version : World History

Lkj
January 13th, 2017, 10:22 PM
So for most of my campaign worlds I've written a brief history of the world. Broad overview of historical time periods and important events.

Out of curiosity, where do most people put that kind of information? In the Introduction to the Realm on the home page of the realm? Events? Sources?

AD

Parody
January 13th, 2017, 10:31 PM
Is it written in an in-world style or an out-of-world style? Out-of-world I'd probably put it in a Topic in Sources or Other. In-world might go under the World's entry (so Places) or a sub-Topic of it, or as a Thing ("Fred's Short History of Realmsville"), or Other.

Either way, link to it from the Realm Starting Point rather than put it all in there. The Realm Starting Point Topic isn't very visible, despite having a dedicated button in the UI. (IMO, of course.)

Lkj
January 13th, 2017, 10:37 PM
I suppose it is written 'in world'. Sort of the summary you might see in a history book, breaking things up into different Ages.

I am leaning toward Sources at the moment, as I think I might keep Places to current information.

At any rate, thanks for the reply. The conversation helps me think it through. Ultimately, I'll probably have a lot of information entered, so I'm trying to think about organization now.

Cheers,
AD

Parody
January 13th, 2017, 10:55 PM
I bet you'll get some more focused suggestions later too, after everyone's done playing with Export/Import. :)

daplunk
January 13th, 2017, 11:04 PM
If you pause at the right time on my new export video you might just see how Lone Wolf have structured historic events.

kbs666
January 14th, 2017, 02:16 AM
If you want these stories to be a collection of stories in a well known book then but them in a named object or as some topic under that named object.

If you want to detail these as actual events in the history of your world there is are incident and time period topics that work very well for detailing historic events.

You could of course do both. Have the actual details in the incident topics and the utter fiction that is most history in the books topics.