PDA

View Full Version : Really hoping new update fixes:

Exmortis
December 8th, 2016, 09:48 AM
I am really hoping the new update solves my link crashing issues, not to mention the blocking of text to make changes appearing on random text in the category rather then the test I select.

It is not even an old realm issue, I completed the data entry for A return to the temple of elemental evil, and now am working on the A0-A4 Against the Slave Lords compilation release.

At first I thought they were gone, but as I finished A0 and moved on to A1 the link crashes began to appear, and the text selection issues started to happen. Now that I am midway through A2 the crashes really beginning to annoy me. I have submitted several link crash reports, sometimes many a day.

It has gotten to the point I am afraid to do more than one link at time, or if I forget to save before setting a link, I lose a lot of work and effort that has to be repeated.

This has become a serious stumbling block.

Farling
December 8th, 2016, 10:34 AM
Are these problems with the latest version that was released last night?

Or are they problems with older versions that you're only just reporting?

Exmortis
December 9th, 2016, 03:49 AM
These are problems I Have a had for a long time. Just gotten worse over time.

They are also not reported, have posted about them in threads and have submitted a bug report with my database, and an awful lot of crash reports.

It is the one thing that using RW causes me grief, if I don't save literally every move I make, I risk losing work. Or if I do not watch what text randomly gets set with colors, bold or what ever change I make, I end up having to go back and fix it.

It happens on my SP3, My gamer lappy, my powerhouse desktop and my work SP4. But they do all share Windows 10. I just really hope it gets fixed is all. Since I have heard nothing sine my bug submission, I just wanted to highlight it.

rob
December 11th, 2016, 03:39 PM
The original post is jumbled and confusing enough that I can't even parse what your trying to explain here. :( I have no idea what the following means: "the blocking of text to make changes appearing on random text in the category rather then the test I select". Consequently, I don't know if these are bugs I've been made aware of. :(

If we have any chance of fixing these bugs, you need to make sure that we have the EXACT STEPS necessary to reproduce them, plus a copy of your database to use in replicating the bugs. That also means you'll need to be very careful to avoid potentially confusing typos and use accurate language to ensure that we correctly understand what you're trying to accomplish.

I'm going to follow up with the team on this, but if the existing bug reports are similar to this thread, there's not much we can do with them at this point. So PLEASE update the bug reports with as much detail as possible, as I outlined above. Thanks! :)

Exmortis
December 12th, 2016, 06:08 AM
OK to outline my issue.

I create a new topic.
I CTRL+ALT+V paste text into a snippet.
I arrange, copy, modify the text into the various snippets.
I tend to save through out the process. But not always just before I want to highlight text.
I then now need to highlight text.
For aggressive encounters I highlight the possible combatant(s) in the text, so "PillHead the evil 10th level cleric". Same goes for traps.
Then I will apply BOLD, UNDERLINE, and color the text red.
Almost one in three new topics, the first time I do this in a snippet, though I have selected the above cleric, a random other line of text will get bolded, underlined and colored in another snippet.
NOT the text I have selected. I have to then correct the issues, and try again, usually, but not always this only happens once per snippet.
But since I also highlight treasure with BOLD, ITALICS, and color the text purple.
This random highlight of not the text I have selected has happened as many as three times in a row, before it settles down and modifies the text I have selected.

My link issue is simple:
I select a text I want to link, like "see room 12" on "level 4" of "the temple".
I select each text in quotes and then set the links to the room topic, the level title topic, and lastly the Temple main topic.
Save, and crash, costing me all the work I have done since the last save.
My crash reports for this behavior used to be more detailed, but since it has happened as many as four times in a session you get a little annoyed and just start putting "setting links again".

I hope I outlined this well in my bug submission, I thought I did anyway. Since the latest big update I have yet to have a link crash, so this may be solved. But I also have had less time to work than normal, so its little premature to be sure, but it is looking really good.

Oh and to my memory, it has only ever crashed once while auto linking upon save, and that was my fault, I was clicking ignore so fast and furious (player text, I do not want links) I crashed RW. Anytime I clicked ignore like a normal person should, I have never had an issue to my memory.

Thought I would add:
When filling a dungeon, or complex, or structure with many location topics, I pre make a few dozen or so. So my level 1 of a dungeon has 9 LoC1 copies, then I move to pre make 9 LoC2 copies and so on (each just an empty topic). So you see 9 copies of each topic (I pre make anywhere from 9 to 36 depending on size, and often spread out over all levels ready for renaming). I do this because without fail many early rooms need to link to a room further on, or even a different level. So in the event of stairs in room 1 on level 1 to room 1 on level 2 (this will mean a link between rooms), I will move a premade topic to level 2 of the dungeon, open it up in a new tab, name it, give it a prefix and maybe even a suffix, and save it. close that tab, and then set the link from room 1 on level 1 to room 1 on level 2. This saves me a ton of going back and setting links, It is already done.

kbs666
December 12th, 2016, 09:31 AM
OK to outline my issue.
My link issue is simple:
I select a text I want to link, like "see room 12" on "level 4" of "the temple".
I select each text in quotes and then set the links to the room topic, the level title topic, and lastly the Temple main topic.
Save, and crash, costing me all the work I have done since the last save.
My crash reports for this behavior used to be more detailed, but since it has happened as many as four times in a session you get a little annoyed and just start putting "setting links again".
Why are you doing this manually?

Assuming the topics are named "room 12," "level 4," and "temple" the linker should find the topics just fine. Even if you use such generic names in lots of places you could use suffixes to make sure the linker finds the right ones.

Acenoid
December 12th, 2016, 11:34 AM
I try to avoid those custom links and manual selectios as much as possible. So, yeah, maybe you could check if can do what kbs666 suggested :)

daplunk
December 12th, 2016, 12:38 PM
I get around this by using multiple names for rooms. The Kitchen might also be called H2 for example. This way the auto-link pics it all straight up.

AEIOU
December 12th, 2016, 03:51 PM
I know @exmortis has thought through how he's approaching his realms. He's been at this for quite a while now and has a consistent system across many modules. So my comments are on my method for others to consider, not aimed as suggestions to him.

When I have text that states "room 12, level 4" I usually edit to make that into "Kitchen (12), level 4" where Kitchen will autolink and Kitchen has a prefix of 12. I'm not concerned about the "level 4". I've found it's faster to add the linkable text than it is to manually link; and more importantly, I've converted shorthand module-speak into English so it is more readable.

I refuse to link to room numbers because every dungeon and building uses the same conventions. There will be a million room 12's but only a few Kitchen's.

kbs666
December 12th, 2016, 04:10 PM
One thing that would be helpful is namespaces.

That way you could define a namespace of "evil temple of the hamster god" for instance and you could set things like "kitchen" and "front stairs" which likely will occur many times in a realm to have scope only in that namespace.

daplunk
December 12th, 2016, 04:26 PM
Would be handy if you could set an article to only link to content that exists under the same parent article. That would be handy for pre-made modules alot I would wager because that is going to be the situation where this comes up the most.

AEIOU
December 12th, 2016, 05:06 PM
That's a really interesting idea. I don't think it's doable but I don't want to make bad assumptions. Maybe in the future we can limit auto-linking to the currently active story topic view.

kbs666
December 12th, 2016, 06:13 PM
It's actually pretty simple.

C++ has been using namespaces to control name collisions for a couple of decades. Implementing the same basic idea wouldn't be too hard.

Farling
December 12th, 2016, 10:47 PM
Implementing the same basic idea wouldn't be too hard.

I love this assumption :-)

Avi
December 13th, 2016, 12:15 AM
It's actually pretty simple.

C++ has been using namespaces to control name collisions for a couple of decades. Implementing the same basic idea wouldn't be too hard.

The amount of raw data in even a large C program is insignificant compared to the amount and complexity of the data in even a simple Realm. (Now start gurgling please ;)

I presume you would like to continue auto-linking to Monster articles? Or maybe only to a subset of them? what about Magic Items? Oh and that list of generic NPCs you hold in the world almanac? Is it in or out?
The list of options, sub-options and partial match scenarios is very large.

Oh and talking about C++, how many bugs and problems did you encounter due to #include issues: circular definitions, wrong functions from external libraries and more

So not so simple...

wurzel
December 13th, 2016, 12:28 AM
So not so simple...

As developers are, it is absolutely simple. When they start developing, after few hours they are 90% ready. That is where they stay for the next couple of months while they discover more and more unexpected problems. After a year they are "almost ready". That is the moment when they deem their work finished and release it to the public.

I met thousands of developers during my career. Strange enough they are all like that.

And somehow I have the impression LWD knows what I'm talking about.

rob
December 13th, 2016, 03:03 AM
Regarding the assertion that namespaces would be simple, my response is simply: Sure, it's not hard if you want something that works extremely well for a couple specific use cases and fails utterly for the way the myriad GMs actually WANT to use Realm Works.

Programmers don't usually realize - want to accept? - that they are given a very strict framework and forced to adapt everything they do to operate within that rigid framework. That's the EXACT OPPOSITE of the way end-users think. They want something that adapts to how THEY operate. Yes, even the programmers out there have wildly different approaches to GMing and creating their worlds, and most of them would balk at the notion of having to conform to a very specific - and different - way of doing everything just to have namespaces.

To a significant degree, we successfully adapt to the way different users operate within Realm Works, as the product works extremely well for a very diverse range of GM approaches. Achieving that, however, is FRICKIN' HARD. With some regularity, programmers comment that we should do things X way, because that would make things easier. Typically, it would make things easier for that user and the way they want to work, but it would be at the expense of large contingents of other users who think and work differently. Programmers also have a habit of saying that doing X should be easy, but they overlook this fundamental problem that it's only easy if we force all users to conform to a very specific way of using the product, which users aren't going to respond well to.

Believe me, hearing this stuff from programmers never ceases to frustrate the hell out of me. :(

rob
December 13th, 2016, 03:04 AM
All the above being said, I need to point out the following...

We introduced a new feature early this year that some of you seem not to have noticed. Within the automatic link detection dialog, every presented option shows its entire containment tree beneath it. In other words, for all practical purposes, every offered match shows you its "namespace". While this isn't perfect, and it still requires you to choose an item from the list instead of magically divining the particular "namespace" you happen to want at a given time, it's still PRETTY DARN CONVENIENT. :)

One other thing to consider. We introduced the concept of the "master scoping filter" a couple years ago (or more). The thinking was that it would provide the rough equivalent of namespaces. It allows the user to effectively define his own namespaces via tagging and then employ those namespaces at will. We even restricted automatic link detection to it at one point to give exactly what is being asked for above. Nobody used it. It seems nobody liked it, despite the versatility it provided. So it's quietly fallen off into a neglected corner, although it's still there for anyone who wants to play around with it. I think the official name is now "global filter", but it still behaves the same way it always has, except it no longer constrains automatic link detection. Feel free to check it out. :)

Exmortis
December 13th, 2016, 05:09 AM
Why are you doing this manually?

Assuming the topics are named "room 12," "level 4," and "temple" the linker should find the topics just fine. Even if you use such generic names in lots of places you could use suffixes to make sure the linker finds the right ones.

1 - I am keeping the module as near to original as possible.
2 - Because more often than not the module refers to a room and number not the room name itself. Topics so far have never been named "room 12" or "area 14" yet the modules always reference them as thus.
3 - I would have to go and manually rename every "link referring text" to match the reference name, like "room 14" would have to be changed to "Pillhead's Quarters" anyway.

Manual is manual, either way there is manual adjustments to be made.

Exmortis
December 13th, 2016, 05:26 AM
All the above being said, I need to point out the following...

We introduced a new feature early this year that some of you seem not to have noticed. Within the automatic link detection dialog, every presented option shows its entire containment tree beneath it. In other words, for all practical purposes, every offered match shows you its "namespace". While this isn't perfect, and it still requires you to choose an item from the list instead of magically divining the particular "namespace" you happen to want at a given time, it's still PRETTY DARN CONVENIENT. :)
:)

For me? this is GOLD I tell you GOLD!!!

For massive works as ToEE or RToEE and now AtSL, this feature is absolutely essential. For my Vanguard: Saga of Heroes campaign conversion it has been a massive help.

There is mention of "not many kitchens". This made me laugh, I am on the 3rd of a 5 of the AtSL series, and I now have 7 kitchens, add that with 2 more parts yet to do, then maybe copied into a realm with say 3 or 4 more adventures?

The tree text for each link option is to me, far better then constrained namespace linking. I have text that spans my entire realm tree for links when done. About 75% of my links are auto, but rest are manual.

The best thing that comes from this thread is that Rob obviously understands the most important ideal behind RW. That is we are all different, with unique perspectives and ways of doing, what is essentially the same thing.

This is why RW is king.

Having said this, I love ideas being given, or other methods suggested by the community. Because like Rob, in life I have come to learn one infallible fact.

Everyone has something to teach everyone. Even the most veteran RW creator can learn from the greenest noob. I learn constantly from what I read, see and hear from everyone here. Sometimes its the comment by a person here that spawns a totally different idea, BUT with out that original comment it would have never come to fruition.

This is why such great things in history have come from discussion.

I know there are different ways to do what I am doing, and I know many would disagree with my idea of keeping things as original as possible and using manual links may not be how they would do it. I understand and get it. But I decided after some initial goofing and work I sacked, that if I was to archive my favorite adventures for import and conversion in the future, my initial entry would be as close to the original when ever possible.

Manual linking is supported, thus it should work. However it does seem, what ever little bug was crashing me is gone, I have yet to have a crash from setting manual links.

kbs666
December 13th, 2016, 05:31 AM
Regarding the assertion that namespaces would be simple, my response is simply: Sure, it's not hard if you want something that works extremely well for a couple specific use cases and fails utterly for the way the myriad GMs actually WANT to use Realm Works.

Programmers don't usually realize - want to accept? - that they are given a very strict framework and forced to adapt everything they do to operate within that rigid framework. That's the EXACT OPPOSITE of the way end-users think. They want something that adapts to how THEY operate. Yes, even the programmers out there have wildly different approaches to GMing and creating their worlds, and most of them would balk at the notion of having to conform to a very specific - and different - way of doing everything just to have namespaces.

To a significant degree, we successfully adapt to the way different users operate within Realm Works, as the product works extremely well for a very diverse range of GM approaches. Achieving that, however, is FRICKIN' HARD. With some regularity, programmers comment that we should do things X way, because that would make things easier. Typically, it would make things easier for that user and the way they want to work, but it would be at the expense of large contingents of other users who think and work differently. Programmers also have a habit of saying that doing X should be easy, but they overlook this fundamental problem that it's only easy if we force all users to conform to a very specific way of using the product, which users aren't going to respond well to.

Believe me, hearing this stuff from programmers never ceases to frustrate the hell out of me. :(
?
Adding a field to the DB, a dropdown after the suffix and adding a bit of logic that all defaults to "global" constrains anyone who doesn't want to use it how?

Look, I like this product and use it a lot and am one of your biggest boosters but I am also not just a programmer with 25 years experience. I'm a project manager with more than a decade in this sort of thing. I'm used to making end users happy and know the difference between something that sounds easy and something that is easy. You may not want to make the change for other reasons, I know of several, further cluttering the UI and the difficulty of explaining the concept to users are two, but bashing an honest suggestion over an area that is going to keep coming up once the CM goes live seems like a poor plan.

Exmortis
December 13th, 2016, 05:56 AM
Thought I would add:
When filling a dungeon, or complex, or structure with many location topics, I pre make a few dozen or so. So my level 1 of a dungeon has 9 LoC1 copies, then I move to pre make 9 LoC2 copies and so on (each just an empty topic). So you see 9 copies of each topic (I pre make anywhere from 9 to 36 depending on size, and often spread out over all levels ready for renaming). I do this because without fail many early rooms need to link to a room further on, or even a different level. So in the event of stairs in room 1 on level 1 to room 1 on level 2 (this will mean a link between rooms), I will move a premade topic to level 2 of the dungeon, open it up in a new tab, name it, give it a prefix and maybe even a suffix, and save it. close that tab, and then set the link from room 1 on level 1 to room 1 on level 2. This saves me a ton of going back and setting links, It is already done.

Added a screenie to outline this.

kbs666
December 13th, 2016, 08:01 AM
Now I'm even more confused.

Why type all this?

Surely every module you do has a map with all the locations marked on it already right?

When I do something like this the first thing I do is get the map in RW and put pins into all the locations and create topics from there. I assume you're working from either the PDF or physical modules so that should be no problem. Once you do that you shouldn't need all of that "loc2 copy copy copy copy copy copy" stuff.

It seems like you're making more work for yourself, IMO. You create all the blank topics, then you have to rename them, then you have to go and add your pins to the map later assuming I understand your workflow.

AEIOU
December 13th, 2016, 09:07 AM
@kbs666: I seem to work opposite from you. For me the map is always last thing I work on as it's the least essential. I've found it to be a lot faster to focus on specific tasks in series iteratively rather than trying to do it all at once for every topic. It takes me several passes but in the end it's more consistent and I'm not burned out half-way through anymore. I'm just one data point but I'm sure there are others that do it differently from both of us.

Joe
December 13th, 2016, 09:26 AM
@exmortis

I am unable to reproduce your linking issue in the latest build, and it sounds like you're no longer experiencing it either. Is this correct?

Additionally, are you still experiencing the text selection behavior you described on page 1? I attempted a basic reproduction of that issue and it seems to work just fine for me. If you're still seeing this behavior, there must be more specific steps that I need to do. Perhaps I will need a copy of your database and you can point me to some problem data.

Exmortis
December 13th, 2016, 11:01 AM
@exmortis

I am unable to reproduce your linking issue in the latest build, and it sounds like you're no longer experiencing it either. Is this correct?

Additionally, are you still experiencing the text selection behavior you described on page 1? I attempted a basic reproduction of that issue and it seems to work just fine for me. If you're still seeing this behavior, there must be more specific steps that I need to do. Perhaps I will need a copy of your database and you can point me to some problem data.

I provided my database, and it never happens in a previous worked on topic.

It happens after I have copied and pasted the text from another source (web, PDF, word etc.) into a new topic, then select text to apply formatting. If you were to take any of the topics in my database and select text to apply formatting I know it will work. But what I have happen is on a new topic, and it happens the first time I select and want to apply formatting, once it works, it never fails. But the 1 in 3 new topics will have the issue I defined.

I have gotten so used to it, I now know instantly when it will fail. and I simply use the undo, and select the text again. Rinse, repeat until it works. Then in that specific topic it always works.

The linking crash has now I believe gone away, I have handed about 20 new topics, all with a manual link or more and not a single crash.

Joe
December 13th, 2016, 11:17 AM
@exmortis can you perhaps provide me with a problematic source then? I am attempting to paste in text from a pdf, then splitting it up into snippets and formatting it as you describe, and don't see any problems.

Which option are you using with the special paste? Unformatted text? Unformatted text as a single paragraph?

Exmortis
December 13th, 2016, 11:20 AM
@kbs666:

My work flow does not include map pins.

Why? Good question.

My entire design for this was the idea that none, and I mean none, of these works would ever be used in their original form. I just want them initially in that form, so no mater what the future holds, I have a common base. It is original.

I play pathfinder and always in a realm of my design, I have not GM'd a canned world since I was in my 20s. So, knowing this, that I will play these in a custom game world (Daede or Telon) and not in 1st, 2nd, 3rd or beyond D&D, but Pathfinder. They will get reskinned.

On top of that they will not happen on the same world map as they come. I will adapt the adventure to my custom gamer work, ToEE will not happing in Greyhawk, it will be reskinned as the Fallen Temple of Vol Tuniel in the region of The Wardship of the Sleeping Moon, on the continent of Thestra (as an example).

So, since so much will change, it is best to leave that when I import the realm and skin it. many of the things I do are for linking in the future.

Like AEIOU I work from the individual locations out for my adventures. I work from the initial location out for my game worlds. I will pin the map when I reskin the adventure.

The other thing is organization for import. I want to import it all under one category main topic, not spread all over the categories. I work with RW much the same way you worked with the books in the past. This all came about when they made the massive change with views and took away the completely separate World Almanac and Story Almanac. It really caused me some serious grief, and it took many hours of work to unscrew the outcome. So when I decided to archive my favorite adventures into RW as a realm, I thought long and hard about how I (since it is designed for me to use) want to import and reskin for use in any world, any rule system I may be playing in the future.

You work the map to the locations, I work the locations to the map. Patato vs potato.

Exmortis
December 13th, 2016, 11:27 AM
@exmortis can you perhaps provide me with a problematic source then? I am attempting to paste in text from a pdf, then splitting it up into snippets and formatting it as you describe, and don't see any problems.

Which option are you using with the special paste? Unformatted text? Unformatted text as a single paragraph?

Well the PDFs were all bought from Drivethrurpg.com.

I can confirm it was an issue with cut and paste information from:
The Temple of Elemental Evil
Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil
Against the Slave Lords

I simply Select, copy, paste (CTRL+ALT+V) to a snippet in a new topic (i.e. no text just title).
I then copy, plate, break text up between many snippets.
Then I select and format.
This where random text gets formatted, not what I select.

I will try and see if I can capture this somehow.
I can provide the PDF(s) if you like?

Farling
December 13th, 2016, 03:07 PM

Is it also useful to know the PDF display program from which the text is being copied? I think I've seen slightly different behaviour from different PDF display programs.

daplunk
December 13th, 2016, 03:15 PM
Were these the pdf's that WOTC sourced from the community and had scanned in?

kbs666
December 13th, 2016, 05:51 PM
The PDF I got off DriveThruRPG was most certainly a scan of the original module of Temple of Elemental Evil. I don't own the others.

rob
December 14th, 2016, 12:04 AM
?
Adding a field to the DB, a dropdown after the suffix and adding a bit of logic that all defaults to "global" constrains anyone who doesn't want to use it how?

Look, I like this product and use it a lot and am one of your biggest boosters but I am also not just a programmer with 25 years experience. I'm a project manager with more than a decade in this sort of thing. I'm used to making end users happy and know the difference between something that sounds easy and something that is easy. You may not want to make the change for other reasons, I know of several, further cluttering the UI and the difficulty of explaining the concept to users are two, but bashing an honest suggestion over an area that is going to keep coming up once the CM goes live seems like a poor plan.

I'm not sure you interpreted my post the way I intended. I said "Sure, it's not hard if you want something that works extremely well for a couple specific use cases and fails utterly for the way the myriad GMs actually WANT to use Realm Works." So I agreed that it would work well for those specific use cases. And I also contended that it would go largely unused, since it wouldn't satisfy the requirements of the vast majority of GMs. At the end of the day, that means we'd invest time in a feature that clutters the already very busy interface, confuses users by introducing yet another thing they need to understand (even if only to ignore it), and ultimately helped few users. That translates to a net-loss from where I sit, and I would expect it to be viewed the same in the eyes of a veteran project manager. Apparently, I was wrong.

I then followed this up with my subsequent post where I outlined the feature we DID introduce. That feature is less intrusive, since it doesn't clutter the interface. It's less confusing to new users, since it's not something they are confronted with and feel compelled to understand immediately. It's less fiddly and prone to error by being tied to tags instead of manually typed text. It's more flexible by virtue of the fact that you can assign multiple tags to content, essentially allowing content to live in multiple namespaces. And then I pointed out that this feature went essentially unused by anyone, even though it was a vastly better solution in multiple ways than the one you're advocating.

So, I stand by my assertion. It wasn't "bashing". It was presenting a pretty compelling case (IMO) for why adding namespaces in the manner you're proposing isn't going to yield a net win. And that case is based on concrete experience.

In no way did I claim, or even imply, that this was a subject of no concern for the future. It very much is. But the solution is NOT namespaces in the way you and others are advocating. That approach is fundamentally flawed for the reasons I outlined.

I believe the CORRECT approach lies in something that we've got mapped out in detail, but we haven't been able to implement yet. It behaves in a manner that (a) non-technical users will readily understand, (b) is much easier for users to manipulate, (c) has profound benefits outside of automatic link detection, and (d) adapts well to wildly different GMing styles. This is something we'll be introducing in 2017. Unfortunately, it's a lot harder to put into place than something simplistic like namespaces.

Does that help clarify things? :)

Exmortis
December 14th, 2016, 05:38 AM
Is it also useful to know the PDF display program from which the text is being copied? I think I've seen slightly different behaviour from different PDF display programs.

good point. Acrobate reader DC.

If there is a better one, even paid, for RW cut/paste I am open for suggestions.

Joe
December 14th, 2016, 08:58 AM
@Exmortis

I sent you a PM where we can coordinate you getting me a PDF for troubleshooting.

It's a little strange that I can't easily repro this formatting problem. And I would think that if it were widespread, we'd be getting other reports of it. If anyone else is seeing this same issue, PLEASE pipe up! This is leading me to believe that it is specific to your machine. Do you have any other devices you use (a secondary laptop perhaps)? If so, do you get the same behavior there?

I can only think of one other culprit: that you have some kind of program on your computer that might be intercepting your keypresses. Perhaps some kind of hotkey program, or special software for your mouse/keyboard as sometimes comes with gaming peripherals? Do you get the same behavior when you entirely take the keyboard out of the equation and use nothing but the mouse for selection and picking the menu items and whatnot for copying?

I mention this only because I was mystified myself by some strange behavior in Realm Works, only to discover that my Razer keyboard software was erroneously loading a game profile synced from my home machine and overriding what certain keypresses did.

kbs666
December 14th, 2016, 11:02 AM
I then followed this up with my subsequent post where I outlined the feature we DID introduce. That feature is less intrusive, since it doesn't clutter the interface. It's less confusing to new users, since it's not something they are confronted with and feel compelled to understand immediately. It's less fiddly and prone to error by being tied to tags instead of manually typed text. It's more flexible by virtue of the fact that you can assign multiple tags to content, essentially allowing content to live in multiple namespaces. And then I pointed out that this feature went essentially unused by anyone, even though it was a vastly better solution in multiple ways than the one you're advocating.

Except you didn't leave this feature in place until people started really needing it. I use tags for searching all the time but as far as I'm aware, it was certainly never in any patch notes I saw, the ability to control linking through tag assignment never existed while I have owned RW and if the patch notes had ever mentioned it going away explicitly I would have asked why, removing features, even underused ones makes little sense once they are in. Of course your patch notes are opaque by even the rest of the tech industries dismal standards.

rob
December 14th, 2016, 12:16 PM
Except you didn't leave this feature in place until people started really needing it. I use tags for searching all the time but as far as I'm aware, it was certainly never in any patch notes I saw, the ability to control linking through tag assignment never existed while I have owned RW and if the patch notes had ever mentioned it going away explicitly I would have asked why, removing features, even underused ones makes little sense once they are in. Of course your patch notes are opaque by even the rest of the tech industries dismal standards.

The feature was in place since around the time RW was first released to the public, or shortly thereafter. I don't remember when the filtering control got turned off, since all we got was negative reactions to that - so that go turned off pretty quickly. The master scoping filter feature was controlled via the top left of the bar across the top, so it was extremely hard to miss. It got "demoted" to a less prominent position early this year, I believe.

Edit: FYI, I'll be going offline for the next couple of days, so I hope this makes sense. If not, we'll need to pick it up once I'm back online.

kbs666
December 14th, 2016, 12:57 PM
The feature was in place since around the time RW was first released to the public, or shortly thereafter. I don't remember when the filtering control got turned off, since all we got was negative reactions to that - so that go turned off pretty quickly. The master scoping filter feature was controlled via the top left of the bar across the top, so it was extremely hard to miss. It got "demoted" to a less prominent position early this year, I believe.

Edit: FYI, I'll be going offline for the next couple of days, so I hope this makes sense. If not, we'll need to pick it up once I'm back online.
The master scoping filter has never controlled linking as long as I've owned RW.

There are reasons it shouldn't, its a search filter not a scope in a way that should limit names. I frequently use it to find the empty tags in my realm so I know what I need to work on. If it limited linking to just those topics that would suck.

Exmortis
December 15th, 2016, 05:51 AM
@Exmortis

I sent you a PM where we can coordinate you getting me a PDF for troubleshooting.

It's a little strange that I can't easily repro this formatting problem. And I would think that if it were widespread, we'd be getting other reports of it. If anyone else is seeing this same issue, PLEASE pipe up! This is leading me to believe that it is specific to your machine. Do you have any other devices you use (a secondary laptop perhaps)? If so, do you get the same behavior there?

I can only think of one other culprit: that you have some kind of program on your computer that might be intercepting your keypresses. Perhaps some kind of hotkey program, or special software for your mouse/keyboard as sometimes comes with gaming peripherals? Do you get the same behavior when you entirely take the keyboard out of the equation and use nothing but the mouse for selection and picking the menu items and whatnot for copying?

I mention this only because I was mystified myself by some strange behavior in Realm Works, only to discover that my Razer keyboard software was erroneously loading a game profile synced from my home machine and overriding what certain keypresses did.

I will send you some PDFs.

I have seen this on the following:

My Desktop (custom):
Skylake i5 16GB DDR4 / Gigabyte Gaming 7 MB
Windows 10 x64 home
AMD 290x video card
256GB SSD + 512GB SSD.

My Laptop (Mythlogic Sager):
Ivybridge i7 16GB DDR3
Windows 10 x64 Pro
AMD 7970 mobile
512GB SSD + 512GB HD

My work system (SP4):
Skylake i5
Windows 10 x64 Ent
Intel HD530 Onchip video
256GB SSD

All running Acrobat reader DC.

Home I run a corsair keyboard, it has no special software. Asus mouse with no special software. My Dell monitor has built in KVM so I do share both with lappy at home, but I have done a ton of RW work at the lake in the mornings using the lappy keyboard.

Work provides the cheapest no name keyboards/mice money can buy.

Single ultra widescreen 1440p at home, twin 1080p screens at work.

Come to think if it writing this, I have only ever seen this behavior when cut and paste form the PDFs from Drivethrpg, and I only use Acrobat readers.

AEIOU
December 15th, 2016, 08:42 AM
May not be related to this but it's a data point. I found that for some PDF's in the past, especially older scans, if I pasted material in with no changes and saved I would frequently crash. If I pasted and changed font to Tahoma, I would infrequently crash.

However, if I religiously did a CTRL-ALT-R after pasting and then reformatted the material I never ever had an issue. It's like there was some invisible high ASCII in there that made RW lock up or also possible the paragraph formatting. Doing a C-A-R purged the demons but it's a royal pain when I want to keep the formatting of the original text....

Nowadays, I test a PDF with a few pastes and if all goes well, I skip the C-A-R step when I want the formatting.

kbs666
December 15th, 2016, 09:26 AM
I did a fair amount of pasting from PDF's earlier this year and I had really terrible results unless I went for the ctrl-alt-V paste text as unformatted single paragraph option.

I don't think I ever crashed but I certainly had all kinds of weird formatting issues.

Exmortis
December 15th, 2016, 11:08 AM
I did a fair amount of pasting from PDF's earlier this year and I had really terrible results unless I went for the ctrl-alt-V paste text as unformatted single paragraph option.

I don't think I ever crashed but I certainly had all kinds of weird formatting issues.

I always use the CTRL+ALT+V, and always choose one of the two unformatted options. Other wise I end up with a formatted mess.

Joe
December 15th, 2016, 01:42 PM
I got the PDFs, thank you. Unfortunately, I have attempted copying from several locations in both PDFs, and am experiencing no formatting problems. I'm afraid this is going to come down to some very specific set of circumstances, of exactly what operations you are performing in what order on what exact section of content.

So I think the only possible next step is that I will need a screencast that shows you going through the exact steps to receive bad behavior. I don't think a detailed writeup will be enough, as every single nuance will end up mattering.

In some ways this is not surprising. If it had a straightforward reproduction case, we'd be getting identical reports from many people any time they tried to do simple formatting.

Exmortis
December 16th, 2016, 05:36 AM
I got the PDFs, thank you. Unfortunately, I have attempted copying from several locations in both PDFs, and am experiencing no formatting problems. I'm afraid this is going to come down to some very specific set of circumstances, of exactly what operations you are performing in what order on what exact section of content.

So I think the only possible next step is that I will need a screencast that shows you going through the exact steps to receive bad behavior. I don't think a detailed writeup will be enough, as every single nuance will end up mattering.

In some ways this is not surprising. If it had a straightforward reproduction case, we'd be getting identical reports from many people any time they tried to do simple formatting.

OK I will be vigilant and really try and "capture" what happens (who, what how, where etc).

Figures I get the weird ones always!

So far only one crash since update, that alone has proven to be a milestone for me.