PDA

View Full Version : World-Building Advice Needed

RBSealey
November 25th, 2016, 08:08 PM
After kicking around ideas for a campaign setting for a couple of years, I've decided to actually do something with it. However, I find my self at a decision gate and I need some help picking the right path.

I want to build this setting with the eventual goal of using it in Fantasy Grounds. Realm Works' tools seem much better suited to my kind of creative process. But I prefer the presentation style of Fantasy Grounds for presenting info and images to my players.

Has anyone found an efficient way to use both? Maybe use RW for the big picture stuff, and use FG for the detail work?

daplunk
November 25th, 2016, 08:29 PM
How do you play? Online? @Table?

When you say detail work what is it you want FG to do for you?

kbs666
November 25th, 2016, 09:26 PM
This keeps coming from people who haven't used RW.

Realm Works is not a VTT. A good VTT is great for handling the details of a game session. Moving the PC's around maps, showing them what they can see, that sort of thing. If you play online they can even handle dice rolls and the like for you.

Realm Works doesn't do much of that. Realm Works is about managing the campaign world. It's like a wiki or database specifically designed towards an RPG campaign world. The idea is to make running the campaign easier not to directly make running game sessions easier, although RW does have tools for that just not precisely the tools you expect from a VTT.

RBSealey
November 26th, 2016, 04:37 AM
Thanks for the replies. You're exactly right, KBS. I've tinkered with RW from the early release, but I've never really put it to use. Your response answers my question quite succinctly. I'll build the world with RW, then run the sessions on FG.

I'm still uncertain whether we'll be using tabletop or VTT. Either way, I think it would be helpful to use both tools.

No doubt I'll be back asking more questions as my project progresses.

Thanks again for the help.

EDIT: Just realized who you are KBS! I've been watching your video series. Keep up the good work!

kbs666
November 26th, 2016, 05:22 AM
People do use both. I have although I don't right now.

Please keep asking questions and I'm glad you're finding the videos useful. That's why I do them.