PDA

View Full Version : Silly Question about the Storyboard feature...

karpana
November 14th, 2016, 03:09 PM
Is there a way to print out a storyboard out of Realmworks?

I have a campaign I'm running that intertwines 3 different pre-written adventures. As I try to transition from #1 to #3, #2 is also happening.

To keep track of this, I've done up the transition of all the different elements in the story board.

Suffice to say, it's quite large.

Any way I can print this out? Or extract it as a JPG, PNG or PDF?

daplunk
November 14th, 2016, 03:16 PM
Printing is not currently supported. Perhaps a screenshot?

karpana
November 14th, 2016, 04:15 PM
I had thought about a screen shot...but it's pretty long/detailed...
I'might have to take multiples and splice them together.

Thanks for the quick reply

kbs666
November 14th, 2016, 09:38 PM
I said this in my video about storyboards, one element missing from them is the ability to track your players progress through the adventure. If you could just change the color/shape of the current plot point it would be a big help in keeping track of where things are.

To help solve the above problem, I've found that breaking a large plot into small subplots that fit on a single screen can make them easier to grasp. It is relatively easy to drill up and down as needed to navigate. You certainly could take as many screen shots as needed.

XML export is coming soonish and hopefully that will include things like the storyboard so if you can wait a month or so you might be able to print nearly directly.

karpana
November 15th, 2016, 04:03 AM
I don't use Realmworks for my campaign management ... I'm still running out of pre-printed adventures, but there are definitely times when a feature or two of Realmworks life incredibly easy. (such as storyboarding complex parts of an adventure)

Pollution
November 15th, 2016, 04:17 AM
Deleted

karpana
November 15th, 2016, 04:28 AM
I was looking to do exactly that (revealing the plot point to track progress).
My players aren't connected to Realmworks, so I figured that this was the easiest way.

I'm just not fully prepared/committed to be "in front of my laptop" while GM'ing.
But some things just have to be done. ;-)

EightBitz
November 23rd, 2016, 11:28 AM
I had thought about a screen shot...but it's pretty long/detailed...
I'might have to take multiples and splice them together.

Thanks for the quick reply

If you want something similar that you can print from easily, you can look into diagramming software (e.g. Dia) or mind mapping software (e.g. Freemind).

The downside is you'd have to double your work, putting the storyboard both into Realmworks and into the other.

Greebo
November 24th, 2016, 09:28 PM
When I use them, my storyboards tend to be rather complex, since some of the scenes can be played in a variety of sequences. Therefore just revealing them, would not solve the tracking issue for me.

Acenoid
December 4th, 2016, 05:34 PM
I split them up and use "depth" / layers for the plots.

On the first layer you could have all the main steps during your adventure...
If there are many options / complex scenarios link a main step to another set of tasks that is contained within this step. From this contained overview you could also add a link that leads back to the previous screen.

Not everything on a page, however it might be able to provide a good overview.

Example:
The "hub": http://imgur.com/jMkW9IA
Detailed part of the "Brotherhood" (Die Bruderschaft): http://imgur.com/jbpvg0h

Vargr
December 4th, 2016, 08:55 PM
I do it like Acenoid.

Keeping the storyboard relatively simple and then having a storyboard for each plotpoint in the main storyboard.

Actually, I found that doing it this way it was easier to plot and not get confused.

It also allows me to use the main storyboard as a revealed "what did we do in broad lines" for the players.