PDA

View Full Version : copying/duplicating snippets in a topic?

Seeker1728
October 31st, 2016, 01:18 PM
I've been through the various pdfs but either I'm missing the entry or it hasn't been listed.

Is there a way to duplicate a snippet under a section after creating the first one? Or enter several of a given type of snippet in a section with a single command? Currently I'm having to create a type of snippet, with 12 more to go of the same type but having to add each snippet one at a time making it awfully tedious.

Example:
Category: Group
--Empire: <fluff text>
----Organizations in the Empire entry:
------Group A <snippet>
------Group B <snippet>
------Group C <snippet>

As far as I know, i can't duplicate snippets or add a set number of a type in bulk for adding content to each snippet, thus I have to

Create Snippet Group A, then manually click "add snippet below, select type"
Create snippet Group B, then manually click "add snippet below, select type"
Create snippet Group C, etc

Or as comparison, in MS Word I can insert a table into a document. I insert a table that has 3 columns and 5 rows, but I decide I need a total of 10 rows. I can select the 5 that I have, right click, and select "add rows below" and it'll slap 5 additional rows into place giving me 10 rows. In this way I can rapidly expand or delete rows/columns in bulk. Or i can simply copy a single row and then Cntrl+V the heck out of it add individual rows of the same composition anywhere in the document.

Is there any sort of function in RW that does the same thing or do I have to manually add each snippet field one at a time?

Also, when using a labeled text snippet the field to the left is a fixed width which often causes me issue as its too small for the label's text. Is there any way to adjust the size of this field?

Parody
October 31st, 2016, 03:12 PM
There is currently no way to duplicate snippets, add multiple snippets at the same time, or add to the number of characters allowed in the label of a labeled text snippet.

You may want to add to the appropriate suggestion threads in the Feature Requests forum.

Hope this...helps? :)

Seeker1728
October 31st, 2016, 03:34 PM
sigh..well while not what I was hoping for as an answer it did help in that I'm no longer wondering if I'm not putting something "obvious" together.

Thanks Parody appreciate your reply.

rob
October 31st, 2016, 05:15 PM
If the label you want is something that you'll use on a recurring basis, you might consider defining a snippet type. Then you can quickly add more of that snippet, complete with its label.

You also might find it helpful to use the <ctrl+N> keyboard shortcut. If you are adding a series of snippets, you can add the first one and then press <ctrl+N> to add the next. The menu will appear to select the type of snippet to add, and you can use the up/down arrow keys to pick the one you want.

I realize these aren't the full solution you are seeking. However, they may mitigate the effort you're currently having to expend.

As @Parody said, definitely add these items to the Feature Requests forum!

Seeker1728
November 1st, 2016, 11:03 AM
Thanks Rob, that relieves a bit of the tedium.

DaFranker
November 3rd, 2016, 08:21 PM
Bit late for this reply, but my temporary solution for pretty much the same issue is that I wrote up an AutoIt script that creates new hotkeys for me and uses the process rob explained earlier within functions in this AutoIt script to create each type of hotkeyed snippet.

If you're not familiar with AutoIt, here's its webpage (https://www.autoitscript.com/site/) and the blurb on the front page says pretty much everything relevant:

AutoIt v3 is a freeware BASIC-like scripting language designed for automating the Windows GUI and general scripting. It uses a combination of simulated keystrokes, mouse movement and window/control manipulation in order to automate tasks in a way not possible or reliable with other languages.

This might not be for everyone, as there is indeed some scripting and technical work involved, but if anyone's interested I can share some snippets (no, not RealmWorks snippets; AutoIt code snippets! :P ) that you should be able to just save into a file and then drag&drop the file on the AutoIt3.exe to run them.

From other threads I've seen around the forums, other users have done this as well or have used AutoHotKey (https://autohotkey.com/)(a similar tool that does much the same job, has slightly less extensive built-in libraries and a less uniform syntax, but a larger and more active community for finding help or sometimes finding someone that already built the script you're looking for).