PDA

View Full Version : Category change?

zandraxon
October 28th, 2016, 08:56 AM
So I put a bunch of unique created weapons in Mechanics Reference>Special Item instead of Almanac>Named Equipment. Now I can't drag it to be contained by each PC.

Is there anyway I can change it without having to cut/paste and/or recreate the topics?

Vargr
October 28th, 2016, 10:15 AM
You can only have a topic once - you can not have the same topic multiple places.

In your case I would have a snippet in the character-topic describing what equipment they have.

In this snippet, list the items. If the items have a topic somewhere the item will become a link pointing to the topic.

AEIOU
October 28th, 2016, 03:54 PM
http://forums.wolflair.com/search.php?searchid=1706115
http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=56149&highlight=change+category

A forum search on "change category" brings up several threads with different methods.

Farling
October 29th, 2016, 01:24 PM
Unfortunately, you can't change categories between Almanac and Mechanics Reference.

rob
October 30th, 2016, 02:45 PM
Unfortunately, you can't change categories between Almanac and Mechanics Reference.

Not directly, but you can do so INdirectly...

1. Clone the category whose topics you want to migrate so that you have a user-created category.
2. Change the topics/articles based on the global category to be based on the new user-created category.
3. Change the user-created category from topic to article, or vice versa.
4. Change the topics/articles now based on the user-created category to the desired global category.
5. Delete the user-created category that was used solely for migration and is no longer needed.

Hope this helps!

Bidmaron
November 2nd, 2016, 07:53 PM
What a nifty trick!

LeeSmith
December 14th, 2016, 08:16 AM
Not directly, but you can do so INdirectly...

1. Clone the category whose topics you want to migrate so that you have a user-created category.
2. Change the topics/articles based on the global category to be based on the new user-created category.
3. Change the user-created category from topic to article, or vice versa.
4. Change the topics/articles now based on the user-created category to the desired global category.
5. Delete the user-created category that was used solely for migration and is no longer needed.

Hope this helps!

Rob,
I cant figure this out...
Can you put this in "Laymens" terms and do a walk threw so I can figure this out.

Thanks.

AEIOU
December 14th, 2016, 10:20 AM
If you only have a few items to swap over, I'd recommend just retyping them, or doing CTRL-M on all the content to merge into a single block then copy/pasting it into the new entry. I personally would go this route unless I had a lot (like my spells or creatures).

Rob's instructions are generalized. If you can provide detailed info on what you are trying to do, one of us here in the forums can probably chime in. What specific topic/article(s) in what specific category(ies) are you trying to move to which specific category(ies)?

LeeSmith
December 14th, 2016, 11:58 AM
I am trying to move several "Monsters" I entered in Mechanics Reference, Dangers, Monster / Enemy....

TO

World Almanac, Into one of the Modules I helped a friend create... And appear as a Monster / Enemy Icon... In the "Events" section shown. (I want to move the 4 creatures shown.

Sorta like the "People" icon in the pic attached.

daplunk
December 14th, 2016, 12:04 PM
I am trying to move several "Monsters" I entered in Mechanics Reference, Dangers, Monster / Enemy....

TO

World Almanac, Into one of the Modules I helped a friend create... And appear as a Monster / Enemy Icon... In the "Events" section shown. (I want to move the 4 creatures shown.

Sorta like the "People" icon in the pic attached.

One of. My videos covers this exact thing. Probably got categories in the title.

LeeSmith
December 14th, 2016, 02:38 PM
Thanks daplunk, your video was spot on.

Gord
December 16th, 2016, 06:52 AM
I can't recommend those videos highly enough to both new and old. He does a great job of showing how to do things, talks about why he does it, and then whether he is even happy with the way it works. Invaluable for users both new and old. All this with a great accent.

How he has time for all these projects and having two small kids is beyond me but I really appreciate his efforts.

daplunk
December 16th, 2016, 01:32 PM
Thanks mate ��

I'm going to not be around for a bit though... I work for a very large it organisation supporting a very large government body who is all over the national news right now for a very bad situation.... And apparently that involves 23 hours shift....

See you on the other side!

mazzy
December 16th, 2016, 02:09 PM
Thanks mate ��

I'm going to not be around for a bit though... I work for a very large it organisation supporting a very large government body who is all over the national news right now for a very bad situation.... And apparently that involves 23 hours shift....

See you on the other side!

Oh dear, that sounds a bit scary... hopefully you'll be back soon, if not then i wish you and yours a very Merry Christmas :)

Billy277
January 14th, 2017, 09:03 PM
What's the difference between World Almanac and Story Almanac? I get that Story is sort of meant to be a subset of World, but what would be the drawback to just listing everything under World?

Avi
January 14th, 2017, 09:44 PM
What's the difference between World Almanac and Story Almanac? I get that Story is sort of meant to be a subset of World, but what would be the drawback to just listing everything under World?

A) Just to clarify it's no longer World v.s. Story, but world v.s. Views (as you can create multiple views with selected content, and Story is just one of them)

B) The data ALL resides under the World Almanac, the views are just display filters.

C) There is no technical drawback its a matter of convenience. Views help de-clutter your navigation screens.

D) With the Export Partial Realms - Views can help you define the data you want and then assign Export-Tags to all relevant data.

Happy Gamimg

Billy277
January 14th, 2017, 11:56 PM
Thanks! I've got another question about content categories too:

Is it possible to move a character/group/place into a "contained" list or place after the fact? For example, I created a town, then the country it was in. I realized the town should be a contained topic under the country, but I wasn't able to move it. I ended up deleting the initial town and creating it again using "Create contained topic." Is there a way to prevent me having to do that in the future?

Avi
January 15th, 2017, 12:36 AM
Is it possible to move a character/group/place into a "contained" list or place after the fact?

Drag and Drop should work on the navigation pane

rob
January 15th, 2017, 01:11 AM
In addition to drag-and-drop, you can set the container for an topic/article near the top within the transitions pane on the right. But drag-and-drop is usually the fastest and easiest. :)

kbs666
January 15th, 2017, 01:15 AM
Thanks! I've got another question about content categories too:

Is it possible to move a character/group/place into a "contained" list or place after the fact? For example, I created a town, then the country it was in. I realized the town should be a contained topic under the country, but I wasn't able to move it. I ended up deleting the initial town and creating it again using "Create contained topic." Is there a way to prevent me having to do that in the future?
yes.

I've found that drag and drop isn't the easiest thing in RW but if you look on the right side of the interface, with the topic you want to move open, you will see Containing Topic with the current container for the topic and one of the hammer and wrench option icons. If you left click the icon you get 2 options. Clear the Container and Replace the Container. If the topic doesn't have a current container the line for Containing Topic will instead have a blue circle + symbol which allows you to add one.

Billy277
January 15th, 2017, 07:27 AM
Yes! Drag-and-drop wasn't working but that did. Thanks kbs666!

MNBlockHead
January 15th, 2017, 08:13 AM
Yeah, I'm not a big fan of drag-and-drop. My topics list is loooong and if I'm not connected to my docking station with a proper mouse, I find it very hard to accurately drag-and-drop in RW using my touchpad. That's more of a problem with my aging RSI-suffering hands than RW, but just easier to use CNTRL+SHIFT+C or click the wrench and select "change container."