PDA

View Full Version : New Release delayed?

jkthomsen9
October 13th, 2016, 02:44 PM
I am hoping this dose not go negative right away. Did I miss something or was there supposed to be a update early this week? I have a game this weekend and I would like to not be looking for the update multiple times a day. Can we please get an update? Imminent, next week or the trademarked "soon"? :)

Viking2054
October 13th, 2016, 03:09 PM
I believe it was supposed to be late this week... maybe Friday. But time tables occasionally slip and it could be next week.

Of course the sarcastic side of me likes to point out that we never actually get to 'next week' let alone early or late next week. ;)

davidp
October 13th, 2016, 03:10 PM
The update BJ mentioned last week is a "news update" not a new Realm Works release. I can definitely say there will not be a Realm Works release this week (since I'm the one who does the builds...)

AEIOU
October 13th, 2016, 04:58 PM
Thanks for the clarification. I was expecting a new build this week too.

rob
October 13th, 2016, 05:25 PM
A big *NEWS* announcement was promised for tomorrow. We're reviewing it now, so it looks like it should go out on time.

The problem is that the developers think of new product releases as "updates" to the product, while the marketing-focused staff think of "news items" as "updates". So the word "update" becomes very confusing, as we've regularly used it in both forms in the past.

A short while back, I recognized this and we decided that the term "update" would be reserved for NEWS updates only. All product releases should henceforth avoid using the term "update". So the confusion should diminish as we start being more careful with our word choice to avoid ambiguity. But that confusion will still continue for a little while until everyone settles into using - and reading - the more consistent terminology we're adopting.

P.S. We strive to put out big product releases for Realm Works at the START of the week. This avoids users running into problems just hours before their weekend game starts. Conversely, news items tend to go out around the weekend, since more users tend to see the information when we do that.

daplunk
October 13th, 2016, 05:31 PM
Hate living in the future. It's tomorrow already here ;)

AEIOU
October 13th, 2016, 05:34 PM
Announcement is a good word for the news updates. But if I'd read that announcement last week was actually for an announcement of an upcoming announcement I would have given you a bad time all week.... Because that's just silly. Spit it out and get back to making updates. ;)

rob
October 13th, 2016, 05:35 PM
It will probably be Saturday for Aussies and Kiwis. My best guess is that it will go out in the late afternoon or early evening on Friday, PACIFIC time, where we're based. :)

Besides, if you're really living in the future, you'll already KNOW the contents and can simply share them with everyone, right? :p

:)

rob
October 13th, 2016, 05:46 PM
Announcement is a good word for the news updates. But if I'd read that announcement last week was actually for an announcement of an upcoming announcement I would have given you a bad time all week.... Because that's just silly. Spit it out and get back to making updates. ;)

The "natives" were getting restless here on the forums, in a few threads in particular, so we simply let you all know that a big announcement was coming in the newsletter. That had the desired effect of taking the edge off in the threads where some folks were getting restless and interpreting silence as a bad thing. We didn't have all the details worked out in order to DO the full announcement, but we felt it was important to "throw a bone" to the folks who wanted SOMETHING from us, giving them a concrete timeframe in which to expect lots of details. Those will come out tomorrow.

This just goes to show that, regardless of what we do, somebody is going to disagree with it. So it should come as no surprise that we've adopted the strategy of not saying much these days, allowing us (me in particular) to focus more on the development side. :)

Oh, and "Announcement" *IS* a good word for news items. :)

dentaa
October 14th, 2016, 02:34 AM
--->Lone Wolf Staff.... Not only a great product, but keep up the great communication!!

Kodi1124
October 14th, 2016, 08:02 AM
I for one was happy to hear that something big is happening. Been looking forward to the announcement all week.

jkthomsen9
October 14th, 2016, 08:25 AM
Thank you for the clarification.

MNBlockHead
October 14th, 2016, 10:43 AM
I'll be keeping my eyes on this forum tonight.

Dhrakken
October 14th, 2016, 11:07 AM
I'll be keeping my eyes on this forum tonight.

My eyes have been glued to this website since I woke up this morning!

Come on RW, my eyes are drying out! :D

Chemlak
October 14th, 2016, 11:20 AM
I'll catch it Saturday morning, like usual.

BJ
October 14th, 2016, 03:24 PM
My eyes have been glued to this website since I woke up this morning!

Come on RW, my eyes are drying out! :D

That sounds painful... You probabaly have just enough time to run to your local pharmacy for some Visine before the announcement. ;)

EightBitz
October 14th, 2016, 04:16 PM
Hate living in the future. It's tomorrow already here ;)

It's gonna be the future soon!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BmK8PYm504

Aaron
October 14th, 2016, 04:55 PM
It's gonna be the future soon!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BmK8PYm504

Thanks for sharing that, I'm familiar with Jonathon Coulton, but hadn't heard that one before.

EightBitz
October 14th, 2016, 05:53 PM
Thanks for sharing that, I'm familiar with Jonathon Coulton, but hadn't heard that one before.

Code Monkey get up, get coffee
Code Monkey go to job.
Code Monkey have boring meeting
With boring manager Rob ...

I'm sure you're familiar with THAT one. >:-)

(Don't hate me, Rob.)

For everyone else: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5W_wd9Qf0IE

Exmortis
October 15th, 2016, 05:13 AM
Code Monkeys......

So much potential way back in the day.

It was being a part of that, which actually made me a bit nervous in buying into HL. Lost a lot of money buying into that failure.

Of course, no regrets, I'm in for the penny and the pound with LWD now. :)

UndeadDan
October 15th, 2016, 06:17 AM
Code Monkeys......

So much potential way back in the day.

It was being a part of that, which actually made me a bit nervous in buying into HL. Lost a lot of money buying into that failure.

Of course, no regrets, I'm in for the penny and the pound with LWD now. :)

To continue the derail, I couldn't agree more. Over-promise, under deliver and then berate customers if they point out the discrepancy. I purchased their entirely undocumented Arcana Unearthed data set for PC Gen and was chastized by one of their staff for not understanding one of the nonsensical implementations of a feature.

Asandir
October 15th, 2016, 09:49 AM
To continue the derail, I couldn't agree more. Over-promise, under deliver and then berate customers if they point out the discrepancy. I purchased their entirely undocumented Arcana Unearthed data set for PC Gen and was chastized by one of their staff for not understanding one of the nonsensical implementations of a feature.

I have still have e-tools running speaking of which. I just could never get into PC Gen at that time. I coded a whole bunch myself for other sourcebooks after the license ended so I could continue playing and building characters. Didn't buy into Herolab until we switched to Pathfinder.