PDA

View Full Version : Sync failed due to a communications fault

MNBlockHead
October 11th, 2016, 07:08 PM
I've e-mailed support, but thought I would post here in case anyone has run into this and resolved it.

I received an invite to a realm, which I accepted. Whenever I try to sync that realm I receive the error: "Sync failed due to a communications fault. Check your network connections and try again."

I've tried from multiple networks, all of which had good, solid bandwidth. No other bandwidth-greedy applications are having any issues.

I'm able to sync my main realm without getting that error.

Vargr
October 11th, 2016, 08:47 PM
I was/am invited to a realm by another user in these fora to have a peek (taking a wild guess here I think it is the same realm that you are trying to sync with).

From my desktop machine it works flawlessly, from my laptop I get the same error as you.

I can not figure out what the difference is or why it works on one and not the other machine.

MNBlockHead
October 11th, 2016, 09:19 PM
Okay, nice to know I'm not alone. :-)

Will await what the Wizards at RealmWorks suggest.

Acenoid
October 12th, 2016, 04:39 PM
Memory related maybe?

MNBlockHead
October 12th, 2016, 07:25 PM
According to support, It looks like the Realm owner who shared the realm had deleted a snippet that had been revealed and the snippet had gotten deleted but a reveal log entry about that snippet being revealed was not deleted.

So now, when I try to sync down the realm brand new, RW is trying to find that snippet but failing.

Support trying and figure out how this happened as it shouldn't have happened. They are looking at the realm file, along with server logs, and trying to piece together what failed.

I'll let you know what the resolution is.

Vargr
October 12th, 2016, 08:52 PM
Hmmm.... That doesn't really fit with the fact that I can sync on one machine and not the other. Unless it has to do with a lingering reveal log entry on my laptop (which only gets synched occasionally unlike the desktop which is synched regularly).

As for memory - I have 24 GiB but then, RW is only 32 bit...

rob
October 13th, 2016, 02:34 AM
The problem encountered by @MNBlockHead is unique to players syncing to realms where the GM deleted content that he had previously revealed to the players and the players had synced down. The issue appears to be something akin to a race condition across syncs that we need to locate and fix. Given the nature of the bug, it's distinctly possible that the problem would occur on one computer, but not another, based entirely on the timing of syncs, so the frequently synced desktop would be less likely to encounter the problem than the rarely synced laptop.

LeeSmith
October 14th, 2016, 08:26 AM
I believe this is now fixed.

MNBlockHead
October 14th, 2016, 10:41 AM
Yes. LWD resolved the issue.

Vargr
October 15th, 2016, 12:43 AM
It was still causing problems on my laptop.

But a delete of local data and re-synch from server solved that.

:-)

Exmortis
October 15th, 2016, 04:37 AM
It was still causing problems on my laptop.

But a delete of local data and re-synch from server solved that.

:-)

I actually had to do this on my Surface, I think I did not sync it for months, and when I finally did, it failed every attempt. But doing this solved the issue.

Simple feature, little forethought, and major issues easily averted.

rob
October 15th, 2016, 04:46 AM
Every now and then, the sledgehammer is your best friend. That's why we've got it there. :)

I'm glad you all got this sorted out!