PDA

View Full Version : Realm Works IRC Chat

LeeSmith
October 10th, 2016, 02:57 PM
Please join the Realm Works IRC Chat....

Join the (unofficial) Realm-Works IRC Chat: #realm-works on the Rizon Network (https://wiki.rizon.net/index.php?title=Servers)

-> Browser Client: https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.rizon.net

It would be nice to see more people in there sharing ideas and such.

MNBlockHead
October 10th, 2016, 05:51 PM
What is a good time to log in? I'm not sure if this is the same IRC that I tried in the past but there is never anyone in there. Just haven't found IRC to be a very useful medium for niche software user groups.

LeeSmith
October 11th, 2016, 05:06 AM
What is a good time to log in? I'm not sure if this is the same IRC that I tried in the past but there is never anyone in there. Just haven't found IRC to be a very useful medium for niche software user groups.

Anytime is good. Most people work during the day so day time there is little action, at night or weekends are the best time.

I am there on any day off (rainy day) or weekends or evenings.

MadCartographer

Chemlak
October 11th, 2016, 07:03 AM
We're all on at different times, it's true. I tend to log in at around 8 pm UK time, and log off around midnight to 1am.

There's almost always someone there, but might not be talkative during the US working day.

The most common users are myself, Vargr, Acenoid and Lee (MadCartographer), with others dropping by less frequently. It's not a particularly busy chat room, but that's because there's so few of us on - we have some awesome discussions once we get started.

Vargr
October 11th, 2016, 09:58 AM
And I have even taken a hiatus for a while - time to get back to RW and IRC etc I guess :-)

MNBlockHead
October 11th, 2016, 09:02 PM
I saw DavidP logged in but not active. Have never found anyone in there when I've gone in in the evenings US Central time.

MNBlockHead
October 11th, 2016, 09:03 PM
Yep, DavidP, SomeBot, and I.

Well, I'll keep trying.

Vargr
October 11th, 2016, 10:25 PM
I run on European Central Time (if there is anything called that...).

Alpha time for those that prefer that.

LeeSmith
October 12th, 2016, 01:40 AM
I am there, but during the work week, I go to bed early because I get up at 2:30 am.

MNBlockHead
October 12th, 2016, 02:53 PM
You get up not much after I go to bed. :-)

Acenoid
October 12th, 2016, 03:05 PM
and so we are doomed to circle around each other like planets in the vacuum of space....

Asandir
October 12th, 2016, 03:16 PM
Don't have much availability, but certainly interested. Biggest issue, besides time, is I conceptually understand IRC, just no idea how to even get connected to it or what I even need to use it. Complete noob in that regard. FWIW I am on Eastern US time.

Acenoid
October 12th, 2016, 03:51 PM
Well for a first attempt and peek into the irc stuff you can follow the browser client link in my signature. Choose a nickname that is not taken already e.g. Asandir123 and enter as channel "#realm-works".

You will end up in our mostly empty channel :) Then you can start typing and if someone else is looking right now you usually get a response.

Since ppl are away from keyboard or doing things (like important Realm Works tasks) response might also come in between 10 minutes and several hours :)

If you think that IRC might be a cool thing to have, you could download a fully fledged client later on. (I use chatzilla, an addon to firefox)

daplunk
October 12th, 2016, 04:07 PM
All this talk of Irc reminds me of younger times.

LeeSmith
October 12th, 2016, 04:23 PM
You get up not much after I go to bed. :-)

LOL, I'll be there on the weekend... but Saturday is going to be busy here... maybe Sunday.

MNBlockHead
October 12th, 2016, 07:35 PM
Is there a proper extension to Chrome, rather than just the Kiwiirc Web site. Something that will give alerts through Chrome? My problem is that while I can keep it running, if someone enters the room, I won't know and if someone chats I won't know unless I'm constantly checking.

Vargr
October 12th, 2016, 08:58 PM
I use Trillian - an IM client that support a number of IM systems.

Very nice client and you can set it up to do requesters, sounds and stuff when people enter, leaves,includes your name in their message etc.

https://www.trillian.im/

You can also log in and use the service through a webpage if you are somewhere without your own computer.

I am a subscriber so I have no idea if there any limitations on free-wheelers (you can use the client for free - probably oalso the webpage).

So there are a few options to get on IRC:
- KiwiIRC
- Trillian
- Gazillion other programs

Vargr
October 12th, 2016, 08:58 PM
and so we are doomed to circle around each other like planets in the vacuum of space....

Funny because it is actually sooo true :-)

LeeSmith
October 13th, 2016, 01:34 AM
I use mIRC.

Chemlak
October 13th, 2016, 12:20 PM
I use Nettalk.

MNBlockHead
October 13th, 2016, 09:38 PM
I settled on mIRC. I'll try it for the 30 day trial. Still don't find the notification features to be great, but not aware of other tools that have better. I can get notification when certain people enter a room or when messages contain certain text, like my user name, which is nice. But for mostly dead chat rooms, it would be nice to get a notification of any new message.

Acenoid
October 15th, 2016, 01:11 PM
mirc has a trial version??
Chatzilla (I use it as firefox addon) has the feature you are seeking (notification on normal chat messages). It is also available as stand alone version but I havn't tried it.

Chemlak
October 15th, 2016, 01:24 PM
mIRC has a rather ridiculous "30 day free trial" after which you can just continue using it if you don't mind closing down an annoying pop-up every time you use it, but every now and then locks up completely.

I'm rather enjoying Nettalk (http://www.ntalk.de/Nettalk/en/) which is unashamedly free and does everything I want.

Parody
October 15th, 2016, 06:06 PM
I paid for mIRC back in the 90s. The license is still good, though I hardly ever use it anymore. (I last used it the last time RW IRC chats came up. :)

Acenoid
October 17th, 2016, 04:07 AM
Then it is time again to wield the power of your license again to join the brave heroes of the IRCverse. You must have felt the shift in power, when the channel was founded...