PDA

View Full Version : setting a topic to not be linkable?

adzling
September 5th, 2016, 07:03 AM
Apologize If I missed this in those massive long tutorial videos somewhere but does anyone if it's possible to set a topic to not be linked to?

Example: I have a topic called "Government Buildings" that holds generic maps and details for things like police stations etc.

I don't want Realmworks to auto-create links from snippet body text every time it finds "government buildings" somewhere.

Please someone tell me I'm missing something obvious here ;-)

Dakadin
September 5th, 2016, 08:35 AM
If you go to the Names/Aliases dialog (Ctrl + Shift + A) for the topic, you can set the priority to Never. I think that will do what you are trying to do.

adzling
September 5th, 2016, 09:20 AM
nope, that just lets you add additional names afaik

There does not seem to be a way to stop the topic title from being linked to.

anyone?

adzling
September 5th, 2016, 09:28 AM
+ it would be insanely helpful to be able to exclude linking from all entries in specific sub-group shown in the left navigation pane.

For example I dump all my generic content into "Other".

I would really like any entry in "other" to not be linkable.

Silveras
September 5th, 2016, 02:11 PM
nope, that just lets you add additional names afaik

There does not seem to be a way to stop the topic title from being linked to.

anyone?

On the "Manage Names" dialog, under "Priority", even for the Topic Title, I see "Normal", "Prefer", "Avoid", and "Never". That controls the linking, along with the "Case Matching" setting.

AEIOU
September 5th, 2016, 05:46 PM
The Alias functionality doesn't get a lot of discussion but it's a huge time saver for those of us that enter a lot of data or use duplicate names for locations and adventure areas.

@Dakadin and @Silveras are correct, you can turn off linking if you follow their instructions.

daplunk
September 5th, 2016, 06:50 PM
I use it extensively. But only because RW doesn't recognize plurals.

Ever monster entry has a Orc and Orcs entry :(

Avi
September 5th, 2016, 09:31 PM
I use it extensively. But only because RW doesn't recognize plurals.

Ever monster entry has a Orc and Orcs entry :(

There was a post about it in the past (I think by Rob),
if I remember correctly the gist of it was that -
Grammar is not supported, your simple plural (add s) is something completely different in other languages

Caktus
September 5th, 2016, 11:29 PM
There was a post about it in the past (I think by Rob),
if I remember correctly the gist of it was that -
Grammar is not supported, your simple plural (add s) is something completely different in other languages

Finnish has 15 noun cases which makes RW link detection somewhat challenging ;). Simple word as "dog" might change to "dogit", "dogille", "dogista", "dogiin", "dogitta", ... Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finnish_noun_cases)

I have resolved this using two methods:
- adding abbreviations for my NPCs (i.e. Napoleon Bonaparte is nNB) and linking those as aliases
- adding the article title in parenthesis ("PCs met dogin (dog)").

adzling
September 6th, 2016, 06:17 AM
wow, ok found it finally.

I think the problem here is that the drop down is just simple text with no visual indicator to show that is actually is a drop down menu.

No arrow, no highlight, nothing.

I believe this is another example of poor interface design or lackthereof.

thanks for the multiple replies though, very helpful!

adzling
September 6th, 2016, 08:54 AM
Related question for bonus points: is there a way to force an entire category or the entire database to rescan all entries for new and updated links?

Joe
September 6th, 2016, 10:56 AM
Finnish has 15 noun cases which makes RW link detection somewhat challenging ;). Simple word as "dog" might change to "dogit", "dogille", "dogista", "dogiin", "dogitta", ... Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finnish_noun_cases)

I have resolved this using two methods:
- adding abbreviations for my NPCs (i.e. Napoleon Bonaparte is nNB) and linking those as aliases
- adding the article title in parenthesis ("PCs met dogin (dog)").

English has problems too. Knife/Knives, Child/Children, Foot/Feet, Goose/Geese, Index/Indicies, Person/People, just to name a few. That's not to say the problem itself is unsolvable, it would just take a lot of work to get right.

I think this is generally more a problem on the mechanics side of things. This will hopefully be alleviated for most people by the content market, where you'll just buy the rules content outright (with all the plurals pre-defined) for Orcs, Elves, Axes, and the like.

Joe
September 6th, 2016, 10:56 AM
Related question for bonus points: is there a way to force an entire category or the entire database to rescan all entries for new and updated links?

Not currently, although we do plan on it at some point.

adzling
September 6th, 2016, 01:24 PM
thanks for the comment Joe.