PDA

View Full Version : Roll20 d&d 5e license

daplunk
July 28th, 2016, 01:20 PM
Did anyone else see the announcement this morning and instantly thing "yes... this means they may be open to an official license once the content market is launched."

Fingers and toes crossed.

Gord
July 30th, 2016, 10:00 AM
I've seen it and thought it boded well for RW. The licensing fees must be huge though since the upcoming module is $50.00 which I'm guessing is the same as the books price. If you want both, that's pretty expensive. As a store owner, I'd prefer to see a discount on the module if you have already bought the adventure.

Lyvean
July 31st, 2016, 06:21 AM
The thing is that I only bought RW when they announced that they will be bringing 5e modules. Yet there has been no mention of any kind of progress about that, not even in the coming gen con and I am starting to feel a bit weird about my purchase. Is the market module that delays this or is it something else? Some information can go a long way of restoring some faith to RW for me.

Silveras
July 31st, 2016, 04:31 PM
I've seen it and thought it boded well for RW. The licensing fees must be huge though since the upcoming module is $50.00 which I'm guessing is the same as the books price. If you want both, that's pretty expensive. As a store owner, I'd prefer to see a discount on the module if you have already bought the adventure.

So here's the thing...

RealmWorks is a new medium for publication.. like Print and PDF, it is now a 3rd alternative. Just as store owners have struggled to find a happy policy for PDF and Print combinations, now some of those same decisions will need to be made with regard to RealmWorks.

daplunk
July 31st, 2016, 04:38 PM
I see the fact that they have signed agreements with two competing VTT companies to be a very good sign in that they have not signed exclusive contracts with either party. This leaves it open for LW to have the discussion.

You are right though. This is a new medium. I see VTTs as the online solution and RW as the @Table digital solution. If they sign an agreement and can release new modules via RW then I will simply purchase through there and stop buying physical book. That's not going to solve the short term issue of running physical books I already own but I don't believe that to be LW's problem.

I suspect WOTC would not want to sign anything prior to seeing a working version of the market place and proof that their is a customer base for them to provide to.