PDA

View Full Version : Planned Outage Notifications?

daplunk
July 22nd, 2016, 03:03 PM
Hi Team,

Is there a planned outage notification somewhere? Seeing as the server is down it just got me thinking how screwed I would be if this happened tomorrow during a planned session.

:eek:

Farling
July 22nd, 2016, 03:05 PM
No, they don't have a planned outage posted.

Since syncing isn't really expected to occur during a game session, it shouldn't be a worrying thing. (Unless you're one of the weird people :-) who have players using their player edition as a semi-"live" status during a game.)

The main worry for me is syncing the changes I've made on my main PC to my GMing laptop on the night before I run the game.

Joe
July 22nd, 2016, 03:58 PM
We generally avoid weekend updates so that this doesn't happen. We also tend to avoid updates near the end of the week, preferring to roll them out in the morning/afternoon on Mondays and Tuesdays. This particular week, as we are nearing Gen Con, an update was needed "as soon as we could get it out before the weekend" which unfortunately happened to be today.

Geeky_Frignit
July 22nd, 2016, 05:14 PM
Would've been nice to know... I had a session that I didn't get synced to my laptop, and now I am sitting here without my prep...

What's the ETA on being finished?

Geeky_Frignit
July 22nd, 2016, 05:15 PM
What's the ETA on being back up? I am running a session right now and only have half my prep on my laptop.

daplunk
July 22nd, 2016, 06:06 PM
Farling is completely right. Online connectivity really isn't required. Call this DM Panic :D

rob
July 22nd, 2016, 06:20 PM
What was supposed to be a quick release had a surprise "oh crap" discovery that we're testing a fix for now. So apologies for the protracted downtime.

That being said, for anyone who wants the server for syncing, you can move your content between computers without the server. Simply backup your database on Computer1, copy it to Computer2, and do a restore on Computer2. The backup and restore options are accessible via the Tools tab on the launch dialog that appears when Realm Works starts up. You do NOT need to connect to the server to utilize these mechanisms.

EightBitz
July 22nd, 2016, 07:18 PM
What was supposed to be a quick release had a surprise "oh crap" discovery that we're testing a fix for now. So apologies for the protracted downtime.

That being said, for anyone who wants the server for syncing, you can move your content between computers without the server. Simply backup your database on Computer1, copy it to Computer2, and do a restore on Computer2. The backup and restore options are accessible via the Tools table on the launch dialog that appears when Realm Works starts up. You do NOT need to connect to the server to utilize these mechanisms.

Unless you happen to have some changes to Realm A on Computer 1, and some changes to Realm B on Computer 2.

Then, you kinda need the server to sync.

EightBitz
July 22nd, 2016, 07:19 PM
Though, I suppose you could make a backup on both computers, restore the realm you need to the computer you need, just to have it available for play, then restore both computers to their previous states, and do a proper sync.

EightBitz
July 22nd, 2016, 07:22 PM
Sorry. This is the way I think. This is my job. "If server X goes down, what's the failover plan? And what can go wrong with the failover plan? And, is that ALL that can go wrong with the failover plan or are we missing something? And what's failover plan B if failover plan A doesn't work?"

Joe
July 22nd, 2016, 07:28 PM
Rejoice! The server is back up. You'll also need to download the new client.

Sorry about the delay. This was supposed to go a lot quicker (down and back up in 30 min or less, like pizza!) but we ran into some last minute issues that we needed to solve.

rob
July 22nd, 2016, 07:53 PM
@Eightbitz is correct for the 0.01% case of users. For everything else, there's Masterc..., er, backup and restore. :)

EightBitz
July 22nd, 2016, 08:23 PM
Rejoice! The server is back up. You'll also need to download the new client.

Sorry about the delay. This was supposed to go a lot quicker (down and back up in 30 min or less, like pizza!) but we ran into some last minute issues that we needed to solve.

Great. Thanks a lot. Now I no longer have any excuse to procrastinate my prep work. This is unacceptable!