PDA

View Full Version : DMs Guild

Frodie
February 3rd, 2016, 11:28 AM
I got an e-mail today from DriveThruRPG, (who hosts DMs Guild), trying to help explain what can be published on DMs Guild.

Part of the e-mail stated

"When you publish material that has no setting, then the DMs Guild program allows you to use the entire D&D 5th edition rules, not just the subset found in the SRD. It also allows you to sell that material on the DMsGuild.com marketplace. "

and

"In my DMs Guild title, can I use creatures like the beholder and mind flayer that the OGL lists as “product identity”?
Yes. Product identity exclusions apply only to publishing under the OGL.

Product identity has no meaning under the DMs Guild program."

So, can LW sell 5e datasets (PHB, DMG, MM, etc) through DMs Guild?

Dervish
February 3rd, 2016, 03:15 PM
I would wait until wizards speaks on the subjectbefore just putting stuff out

daplunk
February 3rd, 2016, 03:30 PM
I honestly don't think Wizards will weigh in unless LW is talking to them behind closed doors. They have an open door policy on what's uploaded with the right to remove.

I do wonder if there is a limitation on what can be uploaded (just PDFs for example) but even that could work. The user files are technically just text documents right?

I'm more curious about how LW want this handled. If I was them i would want the brand up, instructions on how to purchase HL. A plug for RW. There's an opportunity here bugger than the community and I'd wager they have had at least one meeting this week to discuss how to make this work for them.

Frodie
February 4th, 2016, 07:40 AM
Someone posted the whole e-mail over at enworld-

http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?477066-5e-OGL-DMs-Guild-FAQ-from-DriveThrough-s-Scott-Holden

So, it seems possible. But I guess it really is up to LW.

the_redbeard
February 4th, 2016, 08:45 AM
Someone posted the whole e-mail over at enworld-

http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?477066-5e-OGL-DMs-Guild-FAQ-from-DriveThrough-s-Scott-Holden

So, it seems possible. But I guess it really is up to LW.

In that email:

Can I copy [some 5E rules information] from the 5E core rulebooks into my DMs Guild title?

You can include things like summary stat blocks of monsters from the Monster Manual in your adventure. Similarly, you can include spell effects and such as needed to make running your adventure easy on DMs. Often, though, it’s just as easy on the DM if you refer her to the Monster Manual or other core rulebook instead.

In short, avoid copying large sections of Wizards titles. Stick to summary information that's needed, but not easily referenced.

Asandir
February 4th, 2016, 08:52 AM
Also in that email.

Can I publish comic books, novels, computer games, etc., on DMs Guild?

For now, we ask that you publish roleplaying game titles only, please.