PDA

View Full Version : user file for Major Bloodline from Unearthed Arcana 3.5

seansong
November 10th, 2014, 07:46 PM
I'm in search of someone that has maybe already created a user file for a Major Bloodline from UA. Specifically hoping for Vampire, but could probably be altered from something else. Never tried creating something in Editor, I'm willing but really don't even know where to begin. If anyone has one, or can point me towards the right direction I'd be grateful. Have a Warlock with major bloodline: vampire that i used in a 3.5 campaign that i'm trying to convert to Pathfinder and build in HL.
Thanks in advance,
Sean

ShadowChemosh
November 11th, 2014, 09:56 AM
I am totally confused. You meantime UA which I think is Unearthed Arcana from 3.5. But then you mention Pathfinder.

1) So which "game" system you trying to build in?

2) What exactly are you trying to build?

seansong
November 11th, 2014, 11:20 AM
Sorry for the lack of clarity. I'm trying to create a warlock with a vampiric major bloodline in Pathfinder. I downloaded a user file for the warlock, now trying to get the bloodline into the system. Yes, the bloodline that I'm working off of was out of unearthed arcana 3.5
Basically trying to recreate a character I ised in a 3.5 campaign in Pathfinder. So the portfolio I'm trying to build is a human with 8 levels or warlock and his 2nd 'level' of bloodline.
Thanks

seansong
November 11th, 2014, 02:02 PM
So as I'm thinking about this. It seems to me the bloodlines in UA are significantly different that in Pathfinder (obviously) so in trying to create them in Pathfinder, it seems to make more sense to create them as a 'New Class' than as a special ability within a class - as has been done with the Sorc Bloodlines in Pathfinder.
So in using the editor in HeroLab, I think I should be starting with new class creation, and create 3 levels of 'Vampire Bloodline Class'. Does that make sense, or am I approaching this wrong?

ShadowChemosh
November 11th, 2014, 02:52 PM
So as I'm thinking about this. It seems to me the bloodlines in UA are significantly different that in Pathfinder (obviously) so in trying to create them in Pathfinder, it seems to make more sense to create them as a 'New Class' than as a special ability within a class - as has been done with the Sorc Bloodlines in Pathfinder.
So in using the editor in HeroLab, I think I should be starting with new class creation, and create 3 levels of 'Vampire Bloodline Class'. Does that make sense, or am I approaching this wrong?
That was actually what I was going to type to you. What I was trying to read over on d20srd.org was if the bloodline adds Hit Points, Hit Dice, and Skill Points. As a class will give you more Hit Dice and will always give at least one skill point.

So depending on those answers a Template maybe better actually. As the template can give you "Abilities" like "+2 on Climb checks" without giving skill points, hit points, or Hit Dice.

As you are more familiar with this do bloodlines from UA give Hit Points, Hit Dice, and Skill Points?

seansong
November 11th, 2014, 03:33 PM
Bloodlines do not in most ways affect the ECL of a character, so they do not provide HD/HP/SP. They do give bonus feats, abilities, skills. For a major Bloodline, they must take a level by ECL 3, another one by ECL 6 and the final one by ECL 12.
This being said, they do gain bloodline traits at varying Character Levels, not just when they 'take' the bloodline.

Here is the full list for Major Vampire Bloodline:
Character Level/Trait
1st/+2 on Climb checks
2nd/Stealthy (Feat)
3rd/Strength +1
4th/Resistance to cold 5 (Ex)
5th/Vampire affinity +2
6th/+1 to natural armor
7th/+2 on Search checks
8th/Resistance to electricity 5 (Ex)
9th/Charisma +1
10th/Lightning Reflexes (Feat)
11th/Vampire affinity +4
12th/Alertness (Feat)
13th/+2 on Sense Motive checks
14th/Improved Initiative (Feat)
15th/Dexterity +1
16th/Suggestion 1/day (Spell)
17th/Vampire Affinity +6
18th/+1 to natural armor
19th/+2 on Bluff checks
20th/Damage Reduction 5/silver
On the vampire affinity, you gain the specified bonus on all Bluff, Diplomacy, Gather Info, Intimidate, and Perform checks made to interact with vampires. On the Feats, if you already have the specified Feat then you can choose another.
So the boots are nice. the drawback is that you have to take the bloodline at the specified levels, or you cannot continue to gain the abilities at the specified Character Level.
The other wrinkle in the mechanics is as follows:
"A bloodline level grant no increase in base attack bonus or base save bonuses, no hit points or skill points, and no class features. It counts as a normal class level (with no class skills) for the purpose of determining maximum skill ranks. Character's bloodline level should be included when calculating an character ability based on his class levels (such as caster level for spell-casting characters, or save DCs for characters with special abilities whose DCs are based on class level). The character doesn't gain any abilities, spells known or spells per day from the addition of the bloodline levels, though - only the calculation so their level-based abilities are affected.

So to clarify a bit more, this is from the FAQ in UA:
..Your bloodline levels stack with your normal class levels "when calculating any character ability based on ...class levels". The key work here is calculate..it means when you use the level as part of some mathematical determination of the class feature's power or uses. Abilities that say 'add your class level' count, but abilities that say 'a character of level x gains this effect' don't.

So from an experience table standpoint, when the character has achieved the XP to move to Character level 3 they will take the bloodline 'rank' instead. then they would need to achieve sufficient additional XP to qualify for the Class rank of 3 before gaining that ECL.

Hopefully this is not too much errata. Where and how does the template come into play?
thanks!
sean

seansong
November 13th, 2014, 06:31 AM
In the short term to make the profile usable for gameplay, can I just make these things happen with permanent adjustments?

ShadowChemosh
November 13th, 2014, 10:30 AM
In the short term to make the profile usable for gameplay, can I just make these things happen with permanent adjustments?
Yea sorry the last few days have been "Crazy" busy. Many of these you should be able to do with adjustments. Also my Adjustment addon (http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?p=58343#post58343) has additional ones that maybe helpful.

I will take a look soon at this to see what you could do.

seansong
November 13th, 2014, 11:43 AM
Shadow, I really appreciate your feedback. I love learning about these things, but i'm no programmer and while tech friendly i'm not very knowledgeable. I'll checkout the add-on, but i think to make him work for this weekend, I'll either get there or break it entirely! :)

Lord Magus
November 15th, 2014, 07:32 AM
For the short-term, use Shadow's Adjustments (and HL's base adjustments) to replicate this.

I'd also approach that as a Template that grants the abilities based on the base creature's HD (I think the Divine Guardian template does this: it is part of Bestiary 3 or 4; a conversion from the 3.5 version is also part of the Community Bestiary). To cover the Class Level aspect, you'd have to create a 3-level class with "dead levels" for HD, Saves, etc...: I don't know if this is possible with HL PF (not near HL at the moment). That class could be used in pre-reqs for the various abilities. All in all, a significant project, especially if you are not used to the editor yet.