PDA

View Full Version : Auto-Complete for Existing Topic Names

MaxSupernova
April 18th, 2014, 12:21 PM
I know it's likely a big deal to implement, but just to put it out there...

It would be amazing if when I started to type "Dyst" in a snippet somewhere RW would suggest "Dystria Pellaeon" who is a topic in my almanac already.

I always get nervous that I'm going to mistype a name, and I always have to go scrolling to look up how to spell them.

Dr_Automaton
April 18th, 2014, 02:39 PM
How about if RW just defaulted to including all topics and aliases in its dictionary once the spellcheck feature is added?

MaxSupernova
April 18th, 2014, 04:59 PM
That's an interesting alternative.

Silveras
April 18th, 2014, 06:47 PM
What that means, though, is that while typing, you can be constantly interrupted with suggestions for linking, especially if it does partial matches to longer entries.

While typing "kitchen", for example, you could be confronted with a list like

"Kitchen Chair
Kitchen Table
Tommy's Kitchen
Upstairs Kitchen
Downstairs Kitchen
Jimbo's Country Kitchen"

If you have to type the word kitchen three times in the same snippet, and you want matches / links for none.. that will get old very quickly.

Cornelius
April 19th, 2014, 01:33 AM
I am not sure if I would like this. Usually these kind of options show the wrong words. If it is implemented I want to be able to shut it off.

Parody
April 19th, 2014, 08:28 AM
Something along the lines of IntelliSense AutoComplete would be great. Probably a pain to implement, though. :)

weogarth
April 27th, 2014, 03:57 PM
Not sure how I feel about this one. I think it could be useful, but perhaps having a checkbox to enable/disable right as you're typing so if you're trying to put in something funky (I have a dragon named Fiwakiazian, for example) you could enable it to ensure you get it right.

Vargr
May 18th, 2014, 09:04 PM
It would be very useful with a feature, that would work thusly:

When writing in an article/snippet/whatever one could hit a hotkey. Whatever is being written after that is being compared to all topics (in both story and world almanac) and will be presented in a dropdown menu under the cursor, making it easy to select.

Say I want to insert the name of a shop called Chandler's Weapon and Armour - or was it Chandler's Armour and Weapons? I don't recall, but as soon as I hit the hotkey and start typing "Chand" all the Chandler family members and the shop will appear in the dropdown menu and all I have to do is press arrow down till I highlight the wanted item, press enter and it is inserted in the text.

Pressing the hotkey again will turn of the function without doing anything.

So the solution would - IMNSHO - be a hotkey (user defined, of course) pressed right before entering a word.

The other solutions suggested here would be bothersome and less elegant, I fear.

Parody
May 19th, 2014, 12:39 AM
That's exactly Visual Studio's IntelliSense AutoComplete with the automatic popup option turned off. (You type the start of a term and hit Ctrl-Space to get suggestions.)

With the automatic popup option enabled, it puts up a suggestion box based on what you're doing (you pause typing, you type a typical separator for the language, it has enough background CPU to do it, etc.)

It's changed over the years too, and there's a lot of little fiddly bits, but that's the gist of it.

Vargr
May 19th, 2014, 06:42 AM
Yes. However, I would like to press a hot key and then start typing.

Then I don't have to worry how many letters to type before pressing the hot key.

Maybe that is just me.

kthomasms
July 29th, 2014, 04:40 PM
+1 to this one.

Dark Lord Galen
July 30th, 2014, 11:56 AM
I am not sure if I would like this. Usually these kind of options show the wrong words. If it is implemented I want to be able to shut it off.

+1 to this comment... personally, I hope LWD concentrates on more important things than grammar control. While useful way LATER down the road there are MANY MANY things that need the limited resources of LWD attention before this.

Vargr
July 30th, 2014, 12:47 PM
+1 to this comment... personally, I hope LWD concentrates on more important things than grammar control. While useful way LATER down the road there are MANY MANY things that need the limited resources of LWD attention before this.

Spell check and grammar is not important.

What language? What Grammar? Swedish? English? Which variant of English?

Besides, everytime you write a word or location from your game world you will get a red wiggly line underneath it.

No, better use the time on something important.

MaxSupernova
July 30th, 2014, 05:38 PM
Somehow this turned from my suggestion of "Help me type my already entered Topics" into a vehement hate-on for grammar checkers...

Vargr
July 30th, 2014, 07:48 PM
Somehow this turned from my suggestion of "Help me type my already entered Topics" into a vehement hate-on for grammar checkers...

Yes, I am sorry. :(

Trying to bring it back on topic:

I would - as stated earlier - really like an option whereby I can press a hotkey and then start typing my topic and - while typing - being presented with a (dropdown) list of already entered topics (from both World and Story Almanac).

This would be a very useful and strong feature.

Tekkmage
November 6th, 2014, 03:56 PM
I am a big fan of autocomplete. But it should have an enable / disable feature..