PDA

View Full Version : Interapplication Commands

Bidmaron
April 2nd, 2014, 02:28 PM
I would like to be able from my little background program (working with Fantasy Grounds) to be able to send commands to display content in RW. Any chance of getting something like that? CC3 has inter application comms, why can't RW?

rob
April 2nd, 2014, 11:10 PM
Um, CC has been out for well over a decade (I think it's been out for almost two decades). So they've had lots of time to enhance the product with features that weren't part of its initial core functionality. Realm Works just came out, and we're still focused on the features that we feel comprise its core. Once we get all that stuff done, we'll then have the ability to start looking at ways to make the product do things that are nice add-ons - like inter-application communications. Bottom line is that we haven't gotten there yet, but stuff like that is planned for a bit down the road. :)

Bidmaron
April 3rd, 2014, 05:29 PM
Sorry, Rob. Didn't mean to sound so unappreciative. When you can, obviously. It's just that we need something like this to make it work with VTTs ultimately.

rob
April 5th, 2014, 12:03 AM
Sorry, Rob. Didn't mean to sound so unappreciative. When you can, obviously. It's just that we need something like this to make it work with VTTs ultimately.

That's not necessarily true. To get DETAILED integration, you're probably right. However, to get GOOD integration with VTTs, I believe you're mistaken. As I just posted in a separate thread, I talked with one of the VTT publishers at length yesterday, and they were confident that the way we've set stuff up would allow for a pretty clean level of integration between Realm Works and their VTT. So I expect they will be adding suitable functionality on their end in the upcoming months. And there is no need for complex commands to be leveraged to make it happen. The very simple mechanics we have in place and that we're using for integration with Hero Lab and all the other object types we currently support should be sufficient for GOOD integration.

I still need to talk with some of the others VTTs, since there may be wrinkles I'm not expecting with some of them. However, the mechanism we have in place should work well for at least one of them. So I'm pretty sure that same mechanism should work well for most (if not all) of them. :)

Bidmaron
April 5th, 2014, 11:33 AM
Well, unless you're talking about Fantasy Grounds, I'm going to need something like what I'm talking about. It really is the best VTT out there (standing by for flame spray).