PDA

View Full Version : Articles and Topics

Venger
March 31st, 2014, 07:45 PM
Hello
I just got Realm Works. This looks like an awesome tool for campaign management.

I am tinkering around with the Sample Data for now until I get a firm grip on how things work before building my campaign. I don't want to get stuck in a corner with something that is bothering me.

There are popups that appear that I will allow to show for the time being and one of them is titled "ARTICLES"

Articles describe game rules, mechanics, standard equipment and adversaries...... Articles are distinct from Topics in that they cannot be moved to and from the Story and World Almanacs.

Tutorial videos alluded to being able to change your mind about anything and change it at anytime.

I need to understand more about this before I start placing content where it doesn't belong.

Realm Works looks great!

rob
March 31st, 2014, 11:26 PM
The basic distinction between Articles and Topics is pretty simple. If it's game mechanics, rules, equipment, spells, classes, monsters, and similar things that appear in rulebooks, it's an Article. If it's something about the the campaign world, an adventure, a location, an NPC, and similar things that appear in modules and setting books, it's a Topic.

Every category is either an Article or a Topic, so all content you create will be classified as one or the other based on the category it derives from. However, you are always free to change the category that content derives from, so you can re-define an Article to a Topic, and vice versa. The difference is that you can't freely move the content between the two, as its category dictates where it belongs.

Hope this helps!

Venger
April 1st, 2014, 05:02 AM
Thank you Rob, that clarifies it for me.