PDA

View Full Version : Clarify the specifics for me?

hyphz
March 28th, 2014, 07:18 PM
Hi,

I've been reading about Realm Works and it looks very interesting but I would like to ask how it's different from TheBrain, UltraRecall, Tinderbox or any similar note taking program with hyperlinks and a tree view. What features does it have that are specific to RPGs and could not be recreated? Thanks.

Farling
March 29th, 2014, 12:35 AM
It isn't for note taking.

Off the top of my head, the main RPG features:

You can select various snippets of information to make visible to players.

At the gaming table you can use fog-of-world to reveal the "dungeon" map to the players while they explore.

Nikmal
March 29th, 2014, 08:15 AM
As farling mentioned. RW is NOT note taking software. It is a database that is designed for RPG's specifically. It does so so much more then just having the ability to take notes and do some searches in that note database.

This has hyperlinks that tie things together throughout each topic, this has smart images that you can tie encounters, topics, NPC's and various other things that I can't think of at the moment to the images through pins. It has flow charts that if you click on one of the links in the flow chart it ties back to the topic it was created from.

Trust me, no note taking software can compare to this. I have tried them out and this works better in the long run and to top it all off it is customizable to suit YOUR needs!! You will find it is a lot more adaptable compared to just having the ability to take notes... oh and did I mention you can take notes in RW too? as can the players for both themselves and for you too (to give you ideas and feedback) :D

It can tie in to profiles from Hero Lab if you have that too.

Silveras
March 29th, 2014, 05:31 PM
RealmWorks is, as I see it, most like a personal Wiki with the ability to selectively allow users access to information paragraph by paragraph.

There are pre-defined formats for NPCs (Individuals), Organizations of various types, Locations, Communities, and more.. each of which have some pre-defined data elements to make it easier to consistently catalogue your content.

And all of the pre-defined structure is customizable, so you can use it as-is, or use it as a starting point for more personalized storage.