PDA

View Full Version : Group Reveal?

EightBitz
March 28th, 2014, 01:13 PM
I know you guys are considering, if not planning, the ability to reveal topics and snippets to specific players instead of to the whole group. Would it also be possible to have different groups of players and allow reveals to a group?

Say I have a realm where I've run several related quests, and I'm planning to run more. Say that I run different quests in this world for three different gaming groups.

The players in group one may have discovered that they should never shake hands with King Midas, because they'll be turned into solid gold.

The players in group two may not have discovered this yet.

I don't want to hide the reveal from group one, because they may need it for future quests. At the same time, I don't want group 2 to see that snippet until they discover it for themselves.

mirtos
March 28th, 2014, 01:20 PM
That question was actually specifically asked in the kickstarter. (by me - lol - ) I dont remember the answer.

Still, you could always just reveal to the appropriate players when that is ready. Its definitely more work on you, as the GM, but it should still handle what you need.

EightBitz
March 28th, 2014, 01:24 PM
That question was actually specifically asked in the kickstarter. (by me - lol - ) I dont remember the answer.

Still, you could always just reveal to the appropriate players when that is ready. Its definitely more work on you, as the GM, but it should still handle what you need.

True. But I'm wondering if, since it sounds like they're planning the one anyway, and since they're related functions, it might be a trivial added effort to do the other at the same time.

mirtos
March 28th, 2014, 01:30 PM
it depends. it all depends on how they have the database setup. if they set up the database to have groups as a type, then it would be trivial. if they didn't, then it might be more work. but still worth asking. and i second the request.

liz
March 28th, 2014, 02:29 PM
(I moved this to Features Request, but it should have stayed in General Discussion. Carry on!)

rob
March 28th, 2014, 03:33 PM
The plan is to allow the GM to specify more than one player to reveal the material to as part of a single operation. Managing separately named groups is not currently part of the plan, but you should be able to do something along the lines of saying "reveal to multiple parties" and then checking off the players that know the information.

The actual plan involves something that are more generalized and flexible than just revealing to selected players. However, we haven't been able to assess how complicated that's going to make the UI, so I don't want to delve into that stuff until we've got more definitive handle on how it's all going to work.

EightBitz
March 28th, 2014, 05:32 PM
Rob, the ability to select multiple players should be good enough. How will that work with the GMs player view/preview? Will there be separate tabs (at least in the preview?) for each player?

rob
March 28th, 2014, 06:02 PM
@EightBitz: That's one of the things we haven't sorted out yet. The backend logic is in place, with one exception. The UI is the big question mark that has lots of details we need to sort out still.

Bidmaron
March 31st, 2014, 03:45 PM
I think the groups is important. It will get bothersome and burdensome to have to go select the same players over and over again as you step through your adventures.